Sean Sherk would be LW champion today and in the top three at WW

I want to believe

Sherk would 110% beat Chandler, Charles, Conor, Dustin probably not Armen or Islam.
Toss up with Gaethje

Sherk was an issue

No way Jose

I usually hate when people throw out the “mma has evolved too much” argument. But in this case it’s true. Sherk was just a roided up muscle man wrestler. Nothing special at all

All those guys clear him and finish him

All this time and you still don’t know what you’re watching…how?

MMA isn’t THAT evolved from his era, and to think a guy of Sherk’s level cannot adopt is ridiculous.

You still have tons of one dimensional fighters at the top of most divisions. Wrestling is the number 1 base for MMA. He’d do just fine

1 Like

I feel like he’d have to go down a weight class or two, but he’d do well today provided he updated his training

That GSP, Hughes, Penn, Serra, Karo, Sherk, Lytle, Diaz, Fitch, Koscheck, Trigg, Lawler, Thiago Alves and Diego Sanchez era of WW was a lot of fun.

6 Likes

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Ever.

4 Likes

Not even close lol

2 Likes

Yeah it could be interpreted like that,

However maybe it’s because their strong point are getting cancelled out by others who have been training on their weaknesses more( or wrasslin or lack of wrestling, working and understanding how to neutralise it

I don’t think he’d dominate the sport today, but he’s definitely more than a muscled dwarf. He was world champ and only has losses to the elite. The era with gsp, bj penn, florian etc isnt that far off from where the sport is now. It’s evolved, but not to the point where any of them would be way out of place nowadays

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

this is correct

1 Like

Where in the blue hell are you getting the idea that Sherk was a good striker? “Heavy hands like Gaethje” rofl :smile:

He was basically Sean Brady, though more explosive but less of a finisher. His striking amounted to swinging his t-rex arms enough to get your attention so he could blast takedowns.

1 Like

I agree with that in theory, but it was not the case with him. He never clubbed anyone. His striking was not dangerous. He rarely even landed. He definitely never showed “heavy hands like Gaethje”.

His takedowns were so effective not because of his striking but because he was so much faster, more explosive and physically stronger than his opponents. Talking about guys like Kenny Florian, who had a high skill level but was not terribly gifted physically. When Sherk fought other fast, athletic guys (GSP, Hughes, Edgar, BJ), he didn’t have such an advantage and often lost.

1 Like

Yeah I agree he was great at that. It’s all about misdirection. You have to be fast and explosive to do that, so it’s not something just anyone can do. People would see it coming a mile away from, let’s say, Ben Askren.

On the other hand, some don’t need to hide their shots. Khabib never hid his because he would just chain wrestle if at first he didn’t succeed. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Fighters like Dustin and Justin, who you mentioned, have no reason to fight like Sherk. Their strengths are standing.

It would have been smart for someone like Cejudo to adopt, but he also prefers to stand most of the time even though it’s not his biggest strength.

1 Like

Dude was juiced to the fucking gills. He’d probably be a 135er today

1 Like

Lol @ a sport bjj guy beating someone like Anderson Silva in an MMA fight

3 Likes

Evolution bro. Anderson would be toast and UFC Brazil’s Vitor Belfort could never handle a decent brown belt in 2024 MMA.

1 Like

Decent sport bjj *. That worm guard is terrifying !

1 Like

This, god tier

5 Likes