SF HW Tourney - Can't Believe They F'd It Up!

How in the hell do you put the guy who beat Fedor against your champion in the first round? Then, to top it off, they put Fedor on the same side of the bracket as the champion and the guy who just beat him.

Strikeforce, you seriously don't know what the fuck you are doing!

Simple they want to lend legitimacy to their title belt. Champion should fight the number one contender. Winner of Silva/Fedor is the next #1 contender so he fights for the belt next. Winner of the other bracket is the next #1 contender and so he fights for the belt next. Rather than having Overeem the champ (default #1 seed). Fight the #8 seed Kharitonov or whoever who is an unworthy challenger for the belt. Not saying strikeforce has been unwilling to pit unworthy challengers against their champs in the past, but its not a bad idea to change that trend.

And thats that, no need to keep this thread going...

So basically the championship fight is meaningless? Why have a tourney then?

magwibs - And thats that, no need to keep this thread going...

Thanks for joining us yesterday.

Did you not see my previous post?

magwibs - Did you not see my previous post?

You mean, the one i quoted to you?

Well, why have a tournament if the championship match is meaningless? It's not like the guys on the right side of the bracket deserve a title shot...

" fedor is in the other side of the draw with silva barnett and arvloski."

The one I'm looking at has on the left side: Fedor, Silva, Overeem, and Werdum. Everyone else is on the right. Is this the correct bracket?

Why the fuck are the brackets like that? All 3 of the guys who are head and shoulders ahead of teh rest of teh competition are on one side of the bracket. The 2 most compelling matchups have zero chance of happening in teh finals. I think the following gives you the best outcomes matchup wise:

Right side:
Fedor vs Barnett
Silva vs Rogers

Left side:
Werdum vs Arlovski
Overeem vs Kharintov

This gives us lots of great for-sure fights in Fedor/Barnett and Overeem/Kharintov, both of which need to happen. Werdum/Arlovski is a great rematch from a long time ago, nice to see how they stack up now. Silva/rogers is teh left over fight, but not bad matchmaking. We would see a vicious KO in that fight for sure. The most likely outcomes than are Fedor/Silva and Werdum/Overeem, both great matchups, and a finals of either Werdum/Fedor, Overeem/Fedor (in all likely hood) which are both great.

Strikeforce, contact me if you are looking for a new matchmaker.

Mason Mongiat - Why the fuck are the brackets like that? All 3 of the guys who are head and shoulders ahead of teh rest of teh competition are on one side of the bracket. The 2 most compelling matchups have zero chance of happening in teh finals. I think the following gives you the best outcomes matchup wise:

Right side:
Fedor vs Barnett
Silva vs Rogers

Left side:
Werdum vs Arlovski
Overeem vs Kharintov

This gives us lots of great for-sure fights in Fedor/Barnett and Overeem/Kharintov, both of which need to happen. Werdum/Arlovski is a great rematch from a long time ago, nice to see how they stack up now. Silva/rogers is teh left over fight, but not bad matchmaking. We would see a vicious KO in that fight for sure. The most likely outcomes than are Fedor/Silva and Werdum/Overeem, both great matchups, and a finals of either Werdum/Fedor, Overeem/Fedor (in all likely hood) which are both great.

Strikeforce, contact me if you are looking for a new matchmaker.

I applaude you for using logic in your argument. I agree with your post 100%. If someone beats the champ, then how does he NOT have credibility going forward in the tourney? Should be set up just like the NCAA tourney!

Like I said though, Overeem v Kharitinov just perpetuates the belief that the Strikeforce belt is a farce. Not to mention that overeem would have been unwilling to sign to fight kharitinov right off the bat. They are training partners and even if they will fight im sure they try to avoid it when possible. Werdum also stated he wanted to fight Fedor or Overeem. Sad truth is that even if strikeforce preferred your brackets, they couldnt get their fighters to sign the bought agreements. They just dont have the kind of muscle the UFC does.

bought = bout lol whoops

Zamiel - Bracket 1-
Fedor-Silva
Barnett-Rogers

Bracket 2-
Werdum-Overeem
Arlovski-Kharitonov

Sure you can say the winner of AA-SK doesn't deserve a title shot, but this way still ensures that the winner will have to beat two of the top four guys, barring a major upset. The winner of Werdum-Overeem gets a comparatively easy fight to challenging Fedor or Barnett, but they also have a much tougher first round opponent.

I like this bracket as well.

ScottCL - Like I said though, Overeem v Kharitinov just perpetuates the belief that the Strikeforce belt is a farce. Not to mention that overeem would have been unwilling to sign to fight kharitinov right off the bat. They are training partners and even if they will fight im sure they try to avoid it when possible. Werdum also stated he wanted to fight Fedor or Overeem. Sad truth is that even if strikeforce preferred your brackets, they couldnt get their fighters to sign the bought agreements. They just dont have the kind of muscle the UFC does.

I see your point, but if they signed up for this tourney, then any of those scenarios they want to avoid are likely to happen given the probability equations. Anyhow, if there are those situations that might happen, why not throw a few more cans in there and set up a real tourney with #1v#8, #7v#2, etc...?

Zamiel - 
ScottCL - Like I said though, Overeem v Kharitinov just perpetuates the belief that the Strikeforce belt is a farce. Not to mention that overeem would have been unwilling to sign to fight kharitinov right off the bat. They are training partners and even if they will fight im sure they try to avoid it when possible. Werdum also stated he wanted to fight Fedor or Overeem. Sad truth is that even if strikeforce preferred your brackets, they couldnt get their fighters to sign the bought agreements. They just dont have the kind of muscle the UFC does.

Overeem has repeatedly said he'll fight training partners, so peddle that shit somewhere else.

He said he would fight them if he had too, like I said, but if you really think he is going to sign to fight kharitonov when he could fight fedor or werdum you are off your rocker.

Will there be a GP belt. All of this #1 contender stuff is probably a lot less important if there is another belt up for grabs. If that was the case, in strikeforces shoes I would do a classic #1v#8 tournament as suggested.

crazygrimreaper -  

looks good to me, cant wait!

The whole Fedor side of the bracket was probably set up by M-1, it's a so perfectly clear they want Fedor to try and win his side and not have a hard fight afterward.

but i'm not saying it's gonna be an easy fight just easier then his side of the bracket