Shin pain (shin splints?)

Daniel..  y landing flat on your feet you avoid the need for shock absorbtion.  That's the whole point of landing flat :)

cyber, watch a dog run... that dogleg is the equivalent of heel and landing on the balls of the feet.

the achillies tendon and heel system work as one extra shock absorption in the process.

plus, coming down on the heel (which you will also do if you're landing flat) is never good, you're constantly wearing out that pad there, and you never regain it.

I can't debate this with you over the net.  for all we know we are actually doing the same thing but feeling it different.

if you're landing flat on your feet, we're not doing the same thing...how difficult is that to understand, mate? :)

I used to get them real bad when I ran. I agree with almost everything that everyone said except when they said to try not to run on your heels. RUN ON YOUR HEELS! It was a problem for me until I learned to stop running on my toes. You should land heel first when running.

Basically learn proper running form. Flip through a book at the bookstore. It isn't rocket science and once you get the basics you'll be fine.

I ran through my pain, but I was told that was a bad idea. Keep walking though! Do what you can do without it hurting. And when you walk, practice walking the way you should run.

Buy yourself some New Balance Zips(best running shoes)8505's and put some Superfeet or other good footbeds in them.

Just my .02 cents

Cut your cardio down to essentials. Padwork, hard grappling, sprints, etc. The whole 3 miles a day habit is one that all fighters just need to quit: its STUPID. if you want to do it once or twice a week with sprints thrown in there, more power to you; if you're just arbitrarily running 3 miles a week at an easy to moderate pace, STOP. For all the damage to your ankles, shins, knees, hips, and lower back, you're barely burning calories, and barely improving your cardio.

if every time you run you improve on your time you're improving your cardio constantly.

Daniel...  It's good to know you are the know all of running and people that have been teaching for years and studying biomechanics in depth as their life work as it pertains to running know less than you.  Thanks for clearing that up...  mate.

Land on the ball of your foot and you bring the calf muscle into play.  The goal is to not have little muscles trying to do big jobs.  But whatever...  you know best.

Cyberslinger, relax man. I'm giving info to the best of my ability, through my own experimentation and results.

There are experts on each side of the issue, so some are bound to be wrong. It seems to be that way with everything.

The Pope once said the earth was flat and condemned Galileo to hell for stating otherwise. :) Those darn experts!