Shinya Aoki -- BACK TO FIGHTING!

guys,
i'm sure he'll tell some fight mag what were the reasons behind him leaving the police academy, but unless he offers that info to me, i'm not going to ask. and like yves said, he told me about the yakuza thing, but i'm not sure he'll ever go on record w/ a fight publication talking about the yakuza in japan, as i too remember his statements about "freak shows" in pride and k1. that's part of it too. whenever i talk to him, he seems so much older than he actually is.

Howcome his gf isn't hotter?

Thanks

she's cute, but more importantly trains under hiroyuki abe and enjoys bjj almost as much as shinya. i see them marrying someday and producing team aoki.

this was his 3rd fight after losing to nakao a few months before.

how's his chin? Ryan G mentioned putting him against Penn, but he has lost by KO before...

How did Nakao do it? Also, how did he do against Sakurai?

Thanks

He's young and has lots of talent, and wants to fight in the UFC...I really hope that they get him!

sothy, imo penn is not a good match up for shinya.

Ouch! Kinda of a dangerous sub cuz its more a jerking motion without much control, similar to a 2 on 1 in wrestling.

Who was that guy he was fighting?

Shinya does look quite small for a WW though, esp. against the UFC guys. How tall is he?

he fights at 167 lbs and walks around at 174. he's about 5'11" or so. his style uses more speed and position than power. here is a clip of him teaching that technique and like he says at the end, "please do it gently" (for practice sake).

Jon-

You're absolutely right. In fact I think Aoki could of sealed the deal in that fight by spending less time trading on the feet with Sakurai. I guess the point that I was trying to get across is that he isn't the type of fighter to engage in a dangerous brawl with a striker like TKor Yoshida did. For example if Aoki was a HW the last thing he would do is swing wildly at Mark Hunt and then ask Mark to hit him again after being punched.

Sothy- He did very well and most believe that he was robbed in that match. He had a standing Anaconda Choke slapped on early in round one and it wasn't called a catch, although it should have been because he almost choked out Sakurai with it imo.

FCTV- Thanks for the clip, its only my 2nd time seeing that fight and I forgot how brutal that technique was. What is it called and I am gonna guess that it is illegal in Judo? Also why does his gf train under Abe and not Nakai?

it's called wakigatame. and i think allcloser or josh might be better at calling the rules, but i think a standing armbar is legal. you just can't throw with it like aoki did to alex. ouch, an osoto gari w the arm bent backwards. yeesh.

i think noriko trains under abe because abe offers a leisure training women's class. i don't know if nakai does. also, paraestra is small and abe has better facilities? that's all she ever said about it.

Awesome fighter.

waki is legal (I believe), but like you said, there are restrictions on what you can do after you have it...ie. no osoto or uchimata with it on...

wasa-b, this is MMA and the other guy is allowed to hit you and knock you the fuck out, so should the move really be made illegal? That's like saying that heel hooks should be illegal in MMA...isn't it?

Thanks for the info on his fights (and the coaching clip!). Question: How was his chin in the Nakao fight? Did he get tagged once and go down, was it a few times? Clean KO, TKO?

He needs to put on a bit of muscle if he is going to be at 170 IMO against GSP, Hughes, etc. I mean, walking at 174 and fighting at 170 (with the one pound allowance) is only a 4 pound cut (at least Shooto is down at 167).

ps. when in Hawaii, where does he train? Same place always?

"Who was that guy he was fighting?"

Keith Wisniewski.

FCTV, can you upload Aoki's Shooto fight with Hironaka? He bitched him big time, and Hironaka is a guy with wins over Nick Diaz, Ryan Schultz, and Charuto.

Aoki rocked Nakao. He went in for the kill with no regards for defense and got clocked by a counter punch. KO.

i'll see what i can do about vid. here's a pick of the finish i believe. yeesh...