should gi?s be allowed?

"Nice to see someone realize this. I LOL everytime I hear how much harder Tyson would hit without gloves. He'd just break his hand faster and easier."

Boxing gloves do protect the hands and are heavier with a bigger impact zone. And you may be right about the broken hand. But getting punched in the side of the head by Tyson with NHB gloves should be more devistating because the fist is harder and all that force is concentrated in a smaller area. If i'm getting hit in the temple I'll take the boxing gloves for one punch.

Vovchanchin never broke his hand that I know of.

The Gi is the traditional uniform of many martial arts. If you ban the Gi it is no longer mixed martial arts.

Let guys wear it or not.

"Well, it's supposed to be mixed martial arts. Some martial arts train with a gi. You should be allowed to wear what you train in, or it's no longer truly MMA."

Good point. So why aren't many BJJ guys wearing them now?

It doesn't matter, you should all have to abide by the same rules.

I don't care if they wear one, but then everyone should too.

"Good point. So why aren't many BJJ guys wearing them now?"

1)Because gives the opponent loads of grips and control points.

2)You can be gi choked when the opponent can not.

Check out Sak vs Royce for some great examples of how to use a gi against a guy in an MMA fight.

Should be personal choice,but when the fight is signed the fighters need to state gi or no gi.I think it would add another dimension to the game.

I think there should be a SEPARATE DIVISION in each weight category that uses the gi.  Those who want to fight with it, can.  Those who don't, don't have to.  Those willing to do either, can have that option.

My .02

ttt

ttt

Check out Sak vs Royce for some great examples of how to use a gi against a guy in an MMA fight""

See also Sak - Yoshida.

I think you should be allowed to wear whatever you want as long as it doesn't have any "weapons" on it like metal rings or a cord to choke someone with. So if someone wants to fight in Pride wearing a sailor suit then let them.

You can wear a gi, if I get to bring a noose.

"You can wear a gi, if I get to bring a noose.""

EXELLENT POINT!!!!

It really is almost the same thing. Even Pro-gi people have to admit the HUGE advantage in choking situations.

ttt

They can be used as a weapon by either fighter,in some ways the gi wearer is at a definite disadvantage, their gi giving their opponent lots of handles to grab and control with,and they can excecute a variety of lapel chokes on the gi wearer. Nowadays when everyone is training submissions at least a little bit, you're putting yourself in a lot of danger wearing a gi and going against someone without one IMO. Royce not wearing one with his second fight with Yoshida was a VERY smart tactic. It nullified a lot of Yoshida's weapons.

"" Royce not wearing one with his second fight with Yoshida was a VERY smart tactic. It nullified a lot of Yoshida's weapons.""

This is true.

ttt