Should the shorter man jab at all?

Just a question on boxing theory. Normally in a situation of height disparity beyond two inches, the taller man is 'boxing tall', which means that he's using his superior reach to attack while simeltaneously using his feet to stay out of the shorter mans punching range. He uses straight shots and keeps the shorter man at a safe distance, which normally involves constant backpedalling.

The jab helps the taller man here by both blinding the shorter man before deciding to come in, or by keeping him 'out'. But would the jab help the shorter man at all? Wouldn't he just focus more on power and accuracy since he's already beat in terms of range finding?

I'd normally ask my coach this but I'm too injured to box currently.

if you have a good jab you should use it even if you're the shorter guy

i've seen several fights where the smaller guy outjabbed the bigger guy (no names come to mind right off). if you're pretty good at timing and getting inside, there's no reason you can't land a jab on a bigger guy

Jab is a good counter punch.

The way I see it though, it's a constant battle for the shorter fighter to get inside the taller fighters reach. And any smart boxer with a reach advantage will just get right out of there when the smaller, typically more powerful shorter fighter gets inside. Otherwise he's just giving up his natural advantage.

I used to spar against a guy like that and it's frustrating. He's out of my weight class and a vet too, but I still want to be able to defeat his reach. I figure the key is just making sure those few seconds you get inside count by using all your muscle.

"The way I see it though, it's a constant battle for the shorter fighter to get inside the taller fighters reach. And any smart boxer with a reach advantage will just get right out of there when the smaller, typically more powerful shorter fighter gets inside."

Start watching fights where shorter boxers defeat taller boxers.

qawi was a mean guy period. a short guy has tojab with purpose. not just throw it to throw it but to get inside and work

Mayweather-Corrales - Mayweaher did some nice stuff of his jab.

Certainly. When Tyson jabbed he was very effective, and he was very short.

A short mans jab still reaches alot futher than a short mans rip or hook.

A jab can also work very well to a taller guys body

Absolutley, you want to come in under the cover of your jab. If you try to just march in, you'll get picked apart.

I watched Mayweather vs Pep last night. He jabbed that 6 footer to death and landed some especially hard ones to the body like someone said above.

I got a lot of advice on this one a while ago in a thread called "The Jab and the Shorter Fighter" I'll see if I can ttt it.