Single Legs - Palm up or down?

When you go for a single leg, the hand that goes between your opponents legs and hooks the knee, is it supposed to be plam up or down when you clinch hands?

I've been told it's absolutely vital to do it the right way, but different people have told me to do it different ways.

In my experience it's palm up on single legs and palm down on high crotches.

palm down all day....

2 replies, 2 different answers...

It's just like asking people at my gym.

Well when you have a single the goal is always to have it on the inside right? So lets say that you want to drop down your inside hand to the ankle to go for chest pressure, sweepkick, run the pipe ect ect which way is your palm facing? Up to hold up the ankle. Once again this is just the way I've always been taught at every camp I went to.

Always been shown palm down. Partially, for the reason Willy is saying though. When you come up your palm would naturally rotate, but the entry is palm down.

Where are you from Willy?

This!

100%

If I am shooting on their left leg, I would want my right hand, the one outside, on top. This way if they try to peel it off, it lifts their leg at the same time they pull on it.

thePetester - Always been shown palm down. Partially, for the reason Willy is saying though. When you come up your palm would naturally rotate, but the entry is palm down.

Where are you from Willy?

PA

this is a non-factor. what matters is how tight you can hold the leg. for me it is moreso a matter of my hip pressure driving into the opponent. if my palm is up or down doesnt matter as much as that. if my elbows are away from my ribs when i tighten the leg up then i've lost the shot, period. palms this way or that is an individual thing based upon how you feel you can hold the thigh best.

For a single leg the outside hand is on top since it is supporting the weight.This way he is pushing your outside hand into your bottom hand.

If your inside hand is on top and the outside hand is supporting the weight it is only your fingers holding his leg.

Take that to the bank.This will be the consensus of anyone with wrestling knowledge.

daddy... ive heard the opposite from as many as ive heard it how you just said it. while i normally do put my outside hand on top, i also know that failure and success of it depends as much on a dozen other factors... the hands are a second or third tier matter...

for example-- if somebody likes to single into an Iranian position it would make more sense to have the inside hand on top...

Whatever hand is supporting the weight is on top.Period.In MOST instances it will be the outside hand.Anyone who claims otherwise is mistaken.