Small detail/big improvement

Applying pressure directly into the guy's shoulder, as opposed to his arm, when performing any head & arm choke.

Synado - Grab your ankle when triangling someone to prevent them from power bombing you.

or even just from posturing but its important to note I think that its best to grab the bottom of your shin instead of reaching around and grabbing your foot when triangling. This makes the pin of his head much tighter and you have more leverage on your pull down motion

BigEyedFish - tip the cube

Could you elaborate a bit on this concept? I've seen you mention it in another thread, but didn't ask for details at the time. Sounded very interesting

allamerican85 - It's called a triangle for a reason, it's not called a try in front of the guy, the angle is key, best advice and small detail I've ever heard Phone Post 3.0
Never heard this before, but plan to steal it often. Great memory device Phone Post 3.0

Synado - Grab your ankle when triangling someone to prevent them from power bombing you.

do you mean hook their leg?

Hands down the best advice I've ever received was to not try and escape side control. It's counter intuitive, but the idea is waiting for the space rather than trying to force the space. If you're being smashed in side control, you're wasting energy trying to get out and inadvertently causing the top guy to hold you down even tighter as you spaz. So my instructor told me to stop trying to force the escape and instead wait for the space created when the top guy changes position or goes for a sub. Made a huge difference in my escapes once the idea sunk in.

Chris Leben is a Zombie -
SC MMA MD -
allamerican85 - It's called a triangle for a reason, it's not called a try in front of the guy, the angle is key, best advice and small detail I've ever heard Phone Post 3.0
Never heard this before, but plan to steal it often. Great memory device Phone Post 3.0
Its from Jeff Glover, if I remember later i'll try to find the clip...its somewhere on youtube Phone Post 3.0

That would be sweet. Phone Post

Chris Leben is a Zombie -
SC MMA MD -
Its from Jeff Glover, if I remember later i'll try to find the clip...its somewhere on youtube Phone Post 3.0
Rolled up with Jeff Glover, that one little tip just stuck out for me Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post

foreverwhitebelt -

Could you elaborate a bit on this concept? I've seen you mention it in another thread, but didn't ask for details at the time. Sounded very interesting

I am taking a guess, but it may be related to kuzushi.

Good writeup with a cube pic here:

Small Axe BJJ: Kuzushi

As referenced, I believe it's origin is in Judo

fakezaga - Two small details for closed guard that I like:

- You should be looking for the opening of your opponents flank (between his hip and armpit.) If you see it, you need to occupy it. If you don't see it, you should be trying to create it (as told to me by Marvio Charles at Gracie Floripa.)

- When you are trying to break his posture, don't JUST bring your knees to your chest. Squeeze his ribs with your knees too. It is an invisible detail that makes the posture-break stronger. (as told to me by Rod Amano at Relson Gracie Waterfront.)

Can you elaborate on the first point? The opening of the flank part.

Caladan - 

- You should be looking for the opening of your opponents flank (between his hip and armpit.) If you see it, you need to occupy it. If you don't see it, you should be trying to create it (as told to me by Marvio Charles at Gracie Floripa.)

- When you are trying to break his posture, don't JUST bring your knees to your chest. Squeeze his ribs with your knees too. It is an invisible detail that makes the posture-break stronger. (as told to me by Rod Amano at Relson Gracie Waterfront.)

Sure.

Y'know how they always tell you to keep your elbows tight when you're on top? This is the counterpoint for the guy on bottom.

If you see that the flank is exposed you should occupy it - for example, put your foot on his hip and snap your knee in under his armpit so your shin keeps him from reclaiming his flank with his elbow. Or get your leg high into the armpit like for an omoplata. Or break his posture and grab the head and arm. Or get an underhook and work to his back. Or take the overhook. Or...

Think of it like a trigger. Like how most of us are taught to immediately reach for the kimura if he puts his hand on the mat. It is an opportunity.

And of course many setups we are taught are designed to expose the flank - like dragging the arm across or getting the overhook. If you don't see the opportunity, create the opportunity.

When performing the RNC, don't just squeeze with your arms. Stretch your hooks and thrust your hips into them hard; your whole body does the work. You will go from simply choking a guy to putting them in a lot of pain as well.

I learned early on to take a deep breath when finishing RNC to expand your rib cage and add pressure. Often that is the detail that gets the tap. Phone Post 3.0

foreverwhitebelt - 

I learned the concept from Rickson who used in his explanation on how to off balance people when theyre passing the guard or when you set up sweeps in your guard. Its about balancing your opponents body on top of a weak point. It makes it that more easy to tip the person over or to sweep them to bottom.

If you get really comfortable with it, you can learn to poke at people because you recognize that they are at or near a 'tipping point' so to speak. It makes it very difficult for your opponent to keep posture and balance which ultimately how you set up (relatively) effortless and technical submissions.

Changed my entire game and the way I see/understand things.

Sub Phone Post

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

fakezaga - 
Caladan - 

Sure.

Y'know how they always tell you to keep your elbows tight when you're on top? This is the counterpoint for the guy on bottom.

If you see that the flank is exposed you should occupy it - for example, put your foot on his hip and snap your knee in under his armpit so your shin keeps him from reclaiming his flank with his elbow. Or get your leg high into the armpit like for an omoplata. Or break his posture and grab the head and arm. Or get an underhook and work to his back. Or take the overhook. Or...

Think of it like a trigger. Like how most of us are taught to immediately reach for the kimura if he puts his hand on the mat. It is an opportunity.

And of course many setups we are taught are designed to expose the flank - like dragging the arm across or getting the overhook. If you don't see the opportunity, create the opportunity.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time and giving examples. vu.

In Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post