Small detail/big improvement

What small details do you have that have made a technique finally work for you or make a technique you have that much better?

For me, the upa. Ralek did a seminar and covered the upa with some amazing detail. The simple detail that changed my upa and made it 100% better (like, I use it every time I am mounted and am rarely stopped) was so simple but improved my game so much.

Basically, you bump up, turn, end up on your knees, and then often times they pop-up/react and their leg is still on your back or they are posted out and reject your upa or are almost on your back.

The simple tip he taught was don't respect it. Just posture up/sit up and they will slide off of your back , usually right in front of you putting yourself in their guard.

Works every time for me and while I wouldn't call my upa the most solid upa ever it works. My partner hangs on and I can feel that they thought they beat me. Rather than lay back down to try a different escape or have them take my back I finish the upa that seemed doomed by simply sitting up.

Might sound stupid and small but I feel that this one detail allows me to escape mount a very, very high percentage of the time. I use the upa about 95% of the time and rarely does it fail now. The guy can be being heavy, and practically on my back and it doesn't matter. Don't respect it, sit up, and they slide right off.

may seem very elementary as I am a blue belt but whatevs. This was a huge break in my game as I no longer worried about mount as I could now escape a high percentage of the time which let me open up my game in other areas.

What do you have?

It's called a triangle for a reason, it's not called a try in front of the guy, the angle is key, best advice and small detail I've ever heard Phone Post 3.0

tip the cube

Two small details for closed guard that I like:

- You should be looking for the opening of your opponents flank (between his hip and armpit.) If you see it, you need to occupy it. If you don't see it, you should be trying to create it (as told to me by Marvio Charles at Gracie Floripa.)

- When you are trying to break his posture, don't JUST bring your knees to your chest. Squeeze his ribs with your knees too. It is an invisible detail that makes the posture-break stronger. (as told to me by Rod Amano at Relson Gracie Waterfront.)

GREAT deets Fak! ^

When you break someone's grip on your sleeve, collar..or wherever, don't just throw the hand away. Control that hand now since you already have grips on it.

Learned this in judo. Huge difference in my game.

When you first establish mount, try to tuck the soles of your feet under his butt. This stops them from putting you back in half guard right at the beginning by not giving them room to play with your foot.

Also, great thread idea.

deepu - When you first establish mount, try to tuck the soles of your feet under his butt. This stops them from putting you back in half guard right at the beginning by not giving them room to play with your foot.

Also, great thread idea.

when I hit mount the first thing I do is cross my feet under his butt and bring my hands and knees off the mat slightly. This dumps an enormous weightload onto your opponent. I use this 10-20 seconds to gather my thoughts while my opponent struggles to breathe :)

Gui Mendes discussing side control at a seminar consistently corrected us about keeping the toe's on the mat. Never just lay the top of the foot.

My reaction time and pressure from any position on top has drastically changed. I know a lot of guys that came to the seminar feel that it was game changing for them even though it was such a tiny detail.

Also: the Gracie Combatives "superhooks" which I think is a free video on YouTube. Will improve your mount big time. Phone Post 3.0

Regarding triangles or any guard work. "Posture control is everything" was my biggest tip that helped. After watching Ryan Halls DVDs for long enough I actually listened. Instead of rushing a sub attempt, just attempt to control posture. He can't back out of your guard with his posture broken, it's just a ticking time bomb for the other guy. I started to rush my attempt way less, and found myself with alot more time. Phone Post 3.0

Here's one I think about a lot: angling the hips properly makes a huge difference from a variety of positions. E.g., angling slightly towards your opponent helps butterfly sweeps, omoplatas etc.

allamerican85 - It's called a triangle for a reason, it's not called a try in front of the guy, the angle is key, best advice and small detail I've ever heard Phone Post 3.0
Jeff glover Phone Post 3.0

allamerican85 - It's called a triangle for a reason, it's not called a try in front of the guy, the angle is key, best advice and small detail I've ever heard Phone Post 3.0

Ha. I was just watching that the other day. Phone Post

in

Phuckles - What small details do you have that have made a technique finally work for you or make a technique you have that much better?

For me, the upa. Ralek did a seminar and covered the upa with some amazing detail. The simple detail that changed my upa and made it 100% better (like, I use it every time I am mounted and am rarely stopped) was so simple but improved my game so much.

Basically, you bump up, turn, end up on your knees, and then often times they pop-up/react and their leg is still on your back or they are posted out and reject your upa or are almost on your back.

The simple tip he taught was don't respect it. Just posture up/sit up and they will slide off of your back , usually right in front of you putting yourself in their guard.

Works every time for me and while I wouldn't call my upa the most solid upa ever it works. My partner hangs on and I can feel that they thought they beat me. Rather than lay back down to try a different escape or have them take my back I finish the upa that seemed doomed by simply sitting up.

Might sound stupid and small but I feel that this one detail allows me to escape mount a very, very high percentage of the time. I use the upa about 95% of the time and rarely does it fail now. The guy can be being heavy, and practically on my back and it doesn't matter. Don't respect it, sit up, and they slide right off.

may seem very elementary as I am a blue belt but whatevs. This was a huge break in my game as I no longer worried about mount as I could now escape a high percentage of the time which let me open up my game in other areas.

What do you have?
I don't understand what you mean. I'm trying to picture it but I can't Phone Post 3.0

S Phone Post

TTT

bread cutter/paper cutter:
if your right hand is choking, make sure your right leg is flat to the mat and flare the choking elbow. the leg flat is the detail that made the difference.

when in doubt, smash the head/neck (rob kahn).

posture... it counts for wrestling too. I knew this one, but it's something people forget. when shooting in, keep that back straight. head straight.

closed guard retention.. keep your butt off the mat and on opponent, and keep shoulder walking towards opponent.

A little tip i picked up on here that made a big difference was to not let people keep handles on you. As soon as I began to strip the grips as they were applied I noticed a big leap in my progress. Probably common sense to most but something that I never realized would make such a difference.