So, I was looking at a pic of Rampage Jackson...

^Oh, and i have never worn headgear except during highschool in actual meets (b/c it was manditory).

The Notorious OMG - lol @ some of those responses above. are you guys 14 years old or what?

I think it has something to do with how someone's ears sit on their head

if your ears are a little bigger or stick out a little bit you're much more susceptible

a guy like rampage with a big ass head and small ears that sit flat against the sides of his head and don't stick out at all isn't as likely to be affected

Lol at calling people childish and then having your explanantion worded like an 8 year old would word it

yeah I'm a purple belt in bjj and haven never had the slightest case of it. Like others have stated above i think it just depends on the person.

Masakatsu Funaki -  Very few black fighters end up with cauliflower ear. Din Thomas is the only one off the top of my head that I can think of who actually has it. 

Reason: The cartilage type in the ears of many African Americans is more durable and less susceptible from separation from the perichondrium than in other races. 
<br type="_moz" />

Hilarious. Please tell us you made this up.

Brainscan -
Herring In A Fur Coat -  http://i43.tinypic.com/2cgeupu.jpg

Foogin brutal!!! Phone Post

Lol rampage almost got ko'd by that dudes ass! Phone Post

Style of wrestling has a lot to do with cauliflower. IN GENERAL (outliers obviously exist), you will see more and worse cases in smaller guys. They are apt to lower shots and more use of the head to help finish the shot in odd places. For example, I got my first cauli when I hit my ear off a guy's hip and then immediately got cranked with a gabori afterwards. Bigger guys are usually a little more careful taking their shots because, quite frankly, you don't want to be stuck under a big guy either. A heavyweight double-leg often looks a lot different than a 55 kg double-leg.

The more you find yourself in odd scrambles and places, the more likely you are to have your ear ripped off.

ttttt