So now Jan vs Adesanya is a great fight?

In 2017 Jan lost to Pat Cummins as part of a 1-4 run. Nobody cared about his career in 2018/2019 when he was winning decisions over guys like Krylov and Manuwa and geting finished by Santos.

When he KOed Rockhold in 2019 people just said it meant Rockhold was finished.

Jan won the SD over Jacare in 2019 and ruined Jacare's move to LHW but not a single fan said they enjoyed the fight and most were sad Jacare lost and seemed to be declining.

Everyone still treated Jan like a gatekeeper.

What a difference a year can make in MMA. In 2020 Jan got the two big KOs over Anderson and Reyes and all of a sudden he is this tough champion and everyone agrees Jan vs Adesanya is this great champ vs champ superfight.

Now fans are excited he is a champ in a superfight and I'm sure half of them would have been fine if he was cut after the Cummins fight and fans did not care about him at all as recently as 2019.

Jan sort of reminds me of Masvidal here, Masvidal was another tough LW/WW vet before his wins over Till and Askren. Then all of a sudden he was this media darling and doing a "superfight" vs Diaz.

Jan vs Adesanya is ok and all but this is not that big of a champ vs champ fight.

4 Likes

![Rachel Dratch as Debbie Downer | Snl, Snl characters, Debbie](upload://86aJoFcMHzC7RHRIXwrJs2rdFsk.jpeg)

10 Likes

Well it’s the only reason Adasanya moved up because he thinks it’s an easy win.

when Jones was there he needed a few years to clean out his division first, Jones announces he is moving to heavyweight and adasanya then says he is also moving up like a week later.

I wish Jones said nah, just kidding, Im staying at 205, Izzy would come up with some excuse to stay at 185 as well, would be funny to watch him chicken out yet again after running his mouth so much

7 Likes
steak and chicken -

when Jones was there he needed a few years to clean out his division first, Jones announces he is moving to heavyweight and adasanya then says he is also moving up like a week later.

I wish Jones said nah, just kidding, Im staying at 205, Izzy would come up with some excuse to stay at 185 as well, would be funny to watch him chicken out yet again after running his mouth so much

Well Jones also moved up instead of giving Reyes a rematch when lots of people think Reyes beat him.

3 Likes
BJ Penn Forever -
steak and chicken -

Well Jones also moved up instead of giving Reyes a rematch when lots of people think Reyes beat him.

I also think Santos beat him, as well as Gus (first time of course) but that's neither here nor there.

I'm more interested in what Yan can do with Aljo

1 Like

Fighters can improve. Jan is a perfect example.

If you've ever been in a competitive environment you can tell Jan has levelled up.

Thats why this fight is quite possibly one of the craziest matchups the UFC has ever held

SpartaKick -

If you've ever been in a competitive environment you can tell Jan has levelled up.

Thats why this fight is quite possibly one of the craziest matchups the UFC has ever held

Almost all fighters improve over the course of their career.

That was not the point, the point is it is amazing how fast fan perception and opinion can change.

To me though it is nowhere near "one of the craziest matchups" ever and I don't think anyone would call it that except for Dana trying to sell PPVs.

Jan is champ because Jones, DC, Bader and Rumble left the division or the promotion, he has zero title defenses.

BJ Penn Forever -
SpartaKick -

Almost all fighters improve over the course of their career.

That was not the point, the point is it is amazing how fast fan perception and opinion can change.

To me though it is nowhere near "one of the craziest matchups" ever and I don't think anyone would call it that except for Dana trying to sell PPVs.

Jan is champ because Jones, DC, Bader and Rumble left the division or the promotion, he has zero title defenses.

It's possible there is a 1st round knock out either way.. for a duel weight title fight thats thats pretty wild.

But the clash of is what makes this fight so interesting. Israel could come in at 15-25lb lighte than Jan which is unheard of and bizzare.. Does speed beat power?

It's borderline abonoxious that Izzy decided to push for this matchup. Jan just had a baby. The whole thing is pretty fuckin crazy by UFC standards.

Answer = Yes

Its kind of like Eddie Murphy's cracker comparison in RAW.  When you're starving and somebody gives you a Saltine and it'll taste like a Ritz...  and yes I am excited about coming to America 2 streaming today

The match-up is great because Jan slaughtered Reyes.

Many, many people thought dominick be Jones, the LHW goat.

When Jan fought Reyes he was s bigger underdog than he is now at +205.

Jan has a great turn around story.

he also subbed Krylov via arm triangle. 

Izzy might walk into the this fight at 190-195lbs. Jan might be 205-220

HYBRID JON -

Its kind of like Eddie Murphy's cracker comparison in RAW.  When you're starving and somebody gives you a Saltine and it'll taste like a Ritz...  and yes I am excited about coming to America 2 streaming today

Great analogy.

Had no clue Coming to America was coming out so soon, told my woman we are watching it tonight as soon as I read your post.

Argonaut -

The match-up is great becabecause slaughtered Reyes.

Many, many people thought dominick be Jones, the LHW goat.

When Jan fought Reyes he was s bigger underdog than he is now at +205.

Jan has a great turn around story.

he also subbed Krylov via arm triangle. 

Jan's career has been a good comeback story for sure, reminds me of when Mark Hunt started wrecking guys after losing six in a row in PRIDE/DREAM/UFC.

There are a couple of fights on the prelims that are much better. Other than the UFC hype machine (including parrots on this thread), this isn’t a great fight by any means.

As others have said, Adesanya is only moving up strategically because Jones isn’t the champ and he wants an easy path to champ-champ.

Jan beat Reyes who appeared to be looking past him which you simply can’t do at that level. Anderson doesn’t even fight in the UFC anymore.

Adesanya will likely fight very safe and there’s a possibility this will look a bit like Adesanya vs Romero, at least for a few rounds.

1 Like
Ministry of Truth - There are a couple of fights on the prelims that are much better. Other than the UFC hype machine (including parrots on this thread), this isn't a great fight by any means.

As others have said, Adesanya is only moving up strategically because Jones isn’t the champ and he wants an easy path to champ-champ.

Jan beat Reyes who appeared to be looking past him which you simply can’t do at that level. Anderson doesn’t even fight in the UFC anymore.

Adesanya will likely fight very safe and there’s a possibility this will look a bit like Adesanya vs Romero, at least for a few rounds.

If you are comparing Romeros go forward to Jans go forward you are sadly mistaken

SpartaKick -

What?

Are you saying Adesanya cuts only like 5lbs normally and put on exactly zero weight to move up?

How can he possibly be under 200?

Steven McTowelie -
SpartaKick -

What?

Are you saying Adesanya cuts only like 5lbs normally and put on exactly zero weight to move up?

How can he possibly be under 200?

He's said it with his own words

BJ Penn Forever - 

In 2017 Jan lost to Pat Cummins as part of a 1-4 run. Nobody cared about his career in 2018/2019 when he was winning decisions over guys like Krylov and Manuwa and geting finished by Santos.

When he KOed Rockhold in 2019 people just said it meant Rockhold was finished.

Jan won the SD over Jacare in 2019 and ruined Jacare's move to LHW but not a single fan said they enjoyed the fight and most were sad Jacare lost and seemed to be declining.

Everyone still treated Jan like a gatekeeper.

What a difference a year can make in MMA. In 2020 Jan got the two big KOs over Anderson and Reyes and all of a sudden he is this tough champion and everyone agrees Jan vs Adesanya is this great champ vs champ superfight.

Now fans are excited he is a champ in a superfight and I'm sure half of them would have been fine if he was cut after the Cummins fight and fans did not care about him at all as recently as 2019.

Jan sort of reminds me of Masvidal here, Masvidal was another tough LW/WW vet before his wins over Till and Askren. Then all of a sudden he was this media darling and doing a "superfight" vs Diaz.

Jan vs Adesanya is ok and all but this is not that big of a champ vs champ fight.

LOL@ not that big of a champ vs champ fight…it’s only happened 4 other times in UFC history, so regardless of whether you like the matchup, it’s still a big deal.

SpartaKick - 
Ministry of Truth - There are a couple of fights on the prelims that are much better. Other than the UFC hype machine (including parrots on this thread), this isn't a great fight by any means.

If you are comparing Romeros go forward to Jans go forward you are sadly mistaken

No, I’m not.