how liston cuts him off
and just a little step back with a jab when needed
and then looks to find his range and when he does…good night

7 Likes

Cool vid

1 Like

thanks

3 Likes

I have Liston up there in the top 10 of my all-time best heavyweights. It’s amazing how many people underrate him based on the Ali fights. I think at his best he’d have KO’d a prime Tyson for example. He’d have been Tyson’s daddy in the ring or in the streets.

2 Likes

yes totally agreed
also many under rate liston as a boxer
they all just talk about how strong he was and the punching power etc

but miss how much skill he had

he was not shavers or wilder
he had top notch SKILL

1 Like

Absolutely. If fighters came to him like Cleveland Williams & Floyd Patterson he destroy them early ( twice each ) but there were plenty of other times he’d use his jab & outbox opponents while setting them up for the finish. He also thoroughly outboxed Eddie Machen en route to a lopsided decision.

2 Likes

exactly
he could out brawl the punchers and often outboxed
the boxers

plus that jab
is maybe the finest in history

1 Like

For sure. I would have loved to have seen what Liston would have been able to do if the WBA had allowed him into the 1968 elimination tournament. Sure, he was past it but he was still a bad man at that point.

1 Like

Sonny was mean and scary.

2 Likes

yes very good point
i can actually see him beating jimmy ellis even in that stage of his career

1 Like

merry christmas happy holidays GIF by IncrediMail

1 Like

1 Like

God, this pic makes me feel old as fuck. My very first set of my own boxing gloves that I got were an identical 16 oz pair back in 1978 a couple of years after I’d first started boxing. I didn’t particularly like them to be honest. But they got a lot of use when I would take on all the neighborhood tough guys who thought they could box. In the gym, I used the TUF WEAR gloves that I preferred. Them they were replaced by Righside’s gloves. And I stayed with them for the rest of my career.

1 Like

yeah actually i remember buying a par of those types of gloves in a store that sold used stuff

they were in good shape but really not fun to use as you said

the best gloves gloves i wore were probably addias gloves that made in germany
and i briefly had ringside gloves…they were great as well

what were the worst gloves you trained in lol?

1 Like

Oh, Everlast for sure. I’ve always disliked them.

Reyes gloves felt great for a fight when I was trying to hurt my opponent as much as possible. But the Reyes 16 oz gloves for training & sparring were too hard. My hands would be sore & swollen after using them.