Sorry, but I have more questions...

The People's Knee - 

Person 1: "My brother won his fight aganist cancer!!"

Person 2: "Did he punch or kick the tumor?"

Person 1: "No."

Person 2: "It wasn't a fight, bro."

lol.

TheBearStare - the word fight has been thrown into the bjj culture. if it comes up casually during a conversation i think nothing of it. however, if someone uses the word fight to specifically make things seem bigger and grander than they really are then thats where the douche-ness comes in. ive definitely come across that where someone uses it as a huge ego-stroke.

i've never seen a single incident where people get annoyed over the term rolling or sparring being used. they have always been interchangeable and no one cares

Pretty much this. I don't consider it a huge deal in most settings, but I can't bring myself to say "I have a fight this weekend" when talking about a competition. I don't have a great definition as to exactly what I think constitutes a fight, but to me the following sentence makes sense "The BJJ match was going well until the one guy got real mad about something and then they started fighting". I don't get a mental picture of the two guys resuming BJJ at the end of that sentence. Phone Post 3.0

The People's Knee - 
kying418 - Guys who correct you when you say it is a fight are probably douchebags.

Why even argue such a stupid point?

Are you currently coming off of anesthesia? lol

Your first point is utterly incomprehensible. (sorry bro)  However, your rhetorical question makes sense.

I'm sleep deprived, overweight, a single parent of 3 screaming kids, and haven't been laid in years - might that explain my awful posts?

I agree mostly with Randy's sentiment. I've competed in Boxing, wrestling, and BJJ and I don't call any of them a "fight." It's kind of ambiguous to break it up into black and white. You get turds in head gear with pillow gloves pawing at each other and you're implying they are "fighters" but then you have guys out their that will let limbs break and ligaments get torn instead of tapping. But they aren't fighters. Phone Post 3.0

Typically in my experience it's the guys that keep calling it a "fight" that are trying to make it more than it is. A subtle effort to convince others of their badassery with phrases like "yeah, I've got three fights in my division" or "I had to win 2 fights to get the gold". So the knee jerk reaction against that douchebaggery is a "dude, it's not a fight, get over yourself" type of reaction.

The exception I think comes from when something is lost in translation from the Portuguese. Imagine pulling out your translation dictionary and looking up "debate" for instance. Easy to pick argument, dispute, conflict, etc. So "fight" might be the most apt translation much like Professor to Teacher as opposed to Professor to Professor.

Not sure if that helps. Personally, I cringe when I hear "Bro, I've got like 4 fights." Much prefer matches as it doesn't ring of "I train UFC and am an Uber-badass who has to win all these fights in my tournament." Maybe that's just my hang-up though.

Regarding 'sparring' as a term for practice matches or rolling, the guys I know that use this aren't native English speakers. They use it for everything boxing sparring, BJJ rolling, Judo randori, etc. Most people get what they mean.

Personally, I call them matches.
But I also call Muay Thai and MMA bouts matches .

I have no problem with anyone calling any of them fights. But I think they should all be grouped together. They're all combat sports.

For those that think UFC is a fight but BJJ is not , what would you classify that early ufc vitor Belfort match against joe Charles where he purposely used only jiu jitsu and did not throw a single strike to win the bout?

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the input. I agree that it's just semantics.