Sportfight 7, full recap

Otis Petit def Adam Davis, r2 armbar
Round one was wild, lots of position changes, some big strikes by both guys, just wild exciting action. Both guys had their moments but Davis did more damage with gnp if I recall. In r2, Petit was trying to secure a triangle from the bottom, but was able to transition to armbar and get the tap.

Austin Ward draws John Hooley
another wild fight, r1 was close, maybe slight edge to Hooley based on a couple sub attempts. R2 was all Hooley who had several near submissions. R3 was a complete 180 as Ward thoroughly dominated the standup, clubbing Hooley all around the ring. Hooley was wobbled for most of the round but never went down. Judges scored it a draw with one judge giving each fighter the nod.

Sebastian Rodriguez def Donovan Evan, r2 tapout to gnp
These two big boys spent most of the first round clinched up landing big bombs on the inside. I seem to remember Evan rocking Rodriguez with a punch mid round. R2 however was all Rodriguez who got Evan down and pounded him, throwing several hard knees to the body as well. From my vantage point it looked like Evan tried to tap out about 3 seperate times.

JD Stanley def Eddie Blackburn, r2 tapout to gnp
Blackburn refused to touch gloves at the start of the fight, and Stanley made him pay severaly for it. Blackburn was rocked with a punch, then taken to the mat. Stanley busted him up a bit and they stopped it to check the cut, but Blackburn wanted to contiue. R2 was more of the same and Stanley was really starting to unload, Blackburn was finally forced to tap.

Ian Loveland def JT Horner, r1 heel hook?
This was a great fight, just as expected. Both guys are terrific young prospects with undefeated records. Horner had the edge early as a couple times he had Loveland in very bad positions (some sort of neck crank that was almost like a guillotine, but instead he was crucifixing the arms which appeared to put a lot of pressure on Loveland's neck.) Loveland kept his compusure and battled out each time, and came back with some attempts of his own. Both guys fought aggressively and the action was very fast, up down, subs, the whole 9 yards. With about 30 seconds to go Horner tried some sort of foot lock, and they got into a battle of footsies. Loveland was able to escape but secure some type of footlock of his own. Horner appeared to be trying to hang on, just about to tap...he started to tap and right at that moment the bell sounded ending the round. The referee immediately signalled that there was a tap and that the fight was over. From where I sat, what it looked like was that Horner tapped once, then heard the bell and put both hands in the air trying to show that he wasn't tapping, but that one tap was enough and Loveland was declared the victor. Great bout, though I wouldn't mind a rematch.

Chad Nelson def Paul Morris, KO kick r1
This fight should have broken some records as perhaps the fastest fight in history. Both men sprinted to center and Nelson immediately caught Morris with a high kick flush. Morris slumped to the canvas, and Nelson jumped on him, pounding away. The official time was 6 seconds, but I don't think it took more than 2 seconds for the kick and Morris to hit the mat.

Cam Ward def Dave Cochran, r1? rear naked choke
Cochran is the first guy who's been able to force Ward into some standup, but Ward seemed to hold his own. They traded heavy shots for a short while in mid round, but eventually they went to the mat and stayed there. Ward is always going for subs and this fight was no different. He was able to get Cochran's back and securing the rnc, bringing his record to a very impressive 7-0.

Nelson and Ward will now meet up at next Sportfight to determine the #1 contender at 155.

Dennis Davis def Trevor Burnell, r3 guillotine
This was an absolute war, definitely fight of the night! Burnell impressed the hell out of me, even in defeat. Burnell got the early edge, even getting Davis' back on a couple occassions, but Davis was able to escape. Davis spent a lot of time standing over Burnell who was flat on his back, trying for upkicks. Davis kept lunging in and throwing big bombs from there, occassionally landing. But Burnell landed a big upkick at one point! Davis continued to land some bombs from here.

r2 looked much like the first, both guys having their moments. Again Burnell got Davis' back at one point, again Davis spent some time hovering over Burnell and dropping bombs. I beleive Davis also began really doing some gnp.

r3, Davis came out swinging. He hurt Burnell early, and tried to finish him off. Burnell shot in, and Davis grabbed him in a guillotine choke..it looked like it was sunk in, but Burnell was trying to fight it off. Suddenly, the fight was waved off, and Burnell jumped up, arguing that he didn't tap, and I beleive he didn't. I think referee Dave Hagen jumped the gun a bit here. What I saw was Burnell touch Davis' back once, then bring his hand up around the head to try to fend off the choke. I think Hagen mistook the touch on the back for a tap.

I think the way the fight was finished takes away from both fighters. Davis came out dominating in the round, and appeared to have the choke sunk in tight and in all likelihood would have finished Burnell legitimately. Burnell, on the other hand, gets a loss on his record in a fight where he did not tap out (or get choked out), so he's got a legitimate beef. Perhaps they'll set up a rematch, I don't know. Either way it made for one hell of a back and forth action packed fight, and Davis hangs on to his belt!

Art Santore def Justin Davis, r1 tapout to gnp
Seconds into the fight Santore ran into a big punch that dropped him, but he followed up with a takedown. Santore's nose was most likely broken by the punch, as it was pouring blood immediately. They stopped the fight to check him out, and after a long debate decided to let the fight continue. Santore picked up where he left off, landing some heavy shots from the top. Wasn't long before they stopped it again, this time BOTH men were bleeding heavily! It was quite a scene. But again they restarted, and this time Santore's attack was relentless, and before long Davis tapped out.

Santore showed lots of personality on the mic, he said he let Davis bust him up good so that he could make a dramatic comeback that the fans could enjoy. I hope we get a chance to see him again in Sportfight.

Dennis Hallman def Landon Showalter, r1 triangle choke
Hallman shot in immediately and took Showalter down. Somehow Showalter managed to land a knee to Hallman's head with both men on the ground. Hallman clearly didn't like it. I beleive Hallman then did some sort of foul, because the fight was stood up and it appeared Hallman was being warned, and he was trying to complain to the ref about the knee. Again Hallman immediatley took Showalter down, this time he wasted no time in securing a triangle from the top, and then he rolled over to sink it in and finish it.

Joe Doerksen def Ed Herman, r3 triangle choke
Both these guys came to fight! The first round was extremely close, with Doerksen having the early edge with a couple very near submissions. He had Herman's back and really seemed to get the rear naked sunk in, but somehow Herman battled out. Eventually Herman got the top position and controlled the 2nd half of the round with gnp.

r2 was again very close, but I'd have to give Doerksen the slight edge. They took turns landing on top, again Doerksen with subs, both guys with a little gnp. At one point Herman tried a wild flying knee so high that he nearly hit his head on the ceiling. With about 5 seconds left in the round, Herman acheived mount but didn't have time to capitalize.

In the final round Herman came out looking for the takedown, and got it. He was trying to gnp, but Doerksen defended well from the bottom. Herman kept working mainly with elbows, but Doerksen was able to get the legs up and secure a triangle choke. Rather than tap out, Herman went to sleep.

Both guys showed tons of respect in the post fight interview, Doerksen saying "he was very tough, I thought I was going to lose". Herman pointed out that he doesn't care if he goes to sleep or gets his arm broken, he won't tap out. Herman said "he's one tough son of a.." but at that point, Lindland pulled the mic away.

All in all, GREAT show once again. Tons of great competitive fights, we saw some knockouts, some submissions, some tough amateurs and some seasoned pros.

www.brads-art.com

Oh, and they really hyped up the Matt "The Law" Lindland vs JT "The Outlaw" Taylor fight that's coming up Jan 8th!

The two exchanged words in center ring, Lindland saying something about Sportfight being a classy organization which can't even be compared with Desert Brawl, and JT defending with "sorry, I like naked women!" (in response to JT's shows being held at nooodie bars).

They posed in their fighter stances for a photo, and then Lindland did a Pele-esque head fake at Taylor. As Lindland walked past, Taylor gave him a shove. Lindland turned around, but it ended there. (hard to tell how much was hype and how much was real, either way it should be fun!)

Brad, excellent recaps as always.

I was there also, but I missed you this time.

There were some really good fights tonight.

Yeah I walked right by and you were looking at me, I was about to say hi but then you turned away. I figured you were still pissed about that decision. ;)

Congrats on what sounds like an impressive win last time out though, I missed that one.

Good recap, bradu!

In the Hallman fight I believe the problem was he had to many cornermen. Dennis was complaining about the illegal knee to the head, but the ref was talking about his corner.

Art Santore was very funny - he was walking around in the ring with the gauze and sticks still in his nose. And he made a point of explaining to the kids in the crowd that all the blood was fake for Halloween!

Herman is a tuff mofo.

yeah Santore was definitely cool. I think they need to bring in Shonie Carter to take him on.

TTT!

"Yeah I walked right by and you were looking at me, I was about to say hi but then you turned away. I figured you were still pissed about that decision. ;)

Congrats on what sounds like an impressive win last time out though, I missed that one."\

LOL! Hell no, I didn't see/recognize you. I'm a space cadet at times. I saw Steve Rogers there and we hung out for a while. He had me laughing my ass off. He's a really cool and funny guy. He'll be fighting again in Nov. in Washington.

That was my first Sportfight and I was impressed. The screens all around the ring was a great idea.

ttt