Sports betting

Can someone explain what this means?

Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko

-

-

Brett “The Grim” Rogers

-

+300

Fedor is minus 450...a 4.5 to 1 favorite. To win a dollar, you need to bet $4.50...to win 100 dollars, you need to risk $450 on Fedor to win.

Rogers is a 3 to 1 underdog, for every dollar you bet on Rogers, you would win 3 dollars, plus getting your original investment back. If you bet $100 on Rogers, you would win $300 plus getting your original bet back.

jj2121 got it right.

A money line, used in MMA, Boxing,Baseball and Hockey, takes the place of a point spread.

Money line betting is simply wagering on the contest based on a given price rather than a point spread.

The team/fighter wagered on has to win the game outright, regardless of the score.

The minus sign (e.g.-200) always indicates the favorite and the amount you must bet to win $100.

The plus sign (e.g.+180) always indicates the underdog and the amount you win for every $100 bet.

Using this example, therefore, you would bet $200 to win $100 on the favorite (net $300), while for the underdog you would bet $100 to win $180 (Net $280).

3 Examples:

AFFLICTION 3
Vitor Belfort  vs Jorge Santiago
Vitor Belfort  -240
Jorge Santiago  +190

If you were to bet the 'favorite' Vitor Belfort -240 you would risk $240 to win $100, while if you chose Jorge Santiago+190, the 'underdog', you would risk $100 to win $190. Naturally you would get back your original investment wagered on either fighter if they won, so Vitor Belfort would net $340 with the $240 investment, while Jorge Santiago would net $290 with the $100 investment.

TUF 8 Finals
Vinicius Magalhaes vs Ryan Bader
Vinicius Magalhaes -160
Ryan Bader +130

If you were to bet the 'favorite' Vinicius Magalhaes -160 you would risk $160 to win $100, while if you chose Ryan Bader +130 , the 'underdog', you would risk $100 to win $130. Naturally you would get back your original investment wagered on either fighter if they won, so Vinicius Magalhaes would net $260 with the $160 investment, while Ryan Bader would return $230 with the $100 investment.

UFC 50
Renato Verissimo vs Frank Trigg
Renato Verissimo -145
Frank Trigg +135

If you were to bet the 'favorite' Renato Verissimo -145 you would risk $145 to win $100, while if you chose Frank Trigg +135, the 'underdog', you would risk $100 to win $135. Naturally you would get back your original investment wagered on either fighter if they won, so Renato Verissimo would net $245 with the $145 investment, while Frank Trigg would return $235 with the $100 investment.

Betting on a point spread or money line is sometimes called betting "sides" - that is, betting that one side or the other will be the winner - while betting the over/under is referred to as betting "totals".

A parlay or accumulator is a single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. The benefit of the parlay is that there are much higher payoffs than placing each individual bet separately since the difficulty of hitting it is much higher. If any of the bets in the parlay loses, the entire parlay loses. If any of the plays in the parlay pushes/ties, the parlay reverts to a lower number of teams/fighters with the odds reducing accordingly.

http://www.parlaycalculator.com/

I get confused on these +/- things all the time. Luckily for me, I don't gamble much. I only bet like a week of chores with my kid and stuff.

Odessa has taken the time to explain this more than once, but I mus be a slow learner or something. jj2121 explained it much the way Odessa does.

bravo13 - I get confused on these +/- things all the time. Luckily for me, I don't gamble much. I only bet like a week of chores with my kid and stuff.

Odessa has taken the time to explain this more than once, but I mus be a slow learner or something. jj2121 explained it much the way Odessa does.

I keep the examples above  in desktop folder handy because I get asked alot. 

Hope the above posts help out.  Good luck.

^^^ you mispelled randy...

Thanks guys I wish the odds on Rogers were a lil better too