Starting training again after a 6 year break

Hi all,

A fat out of shape purple belt here…

I’m 40 years old, I stopped training in 2015 due to a rough divorce, hitting the bottle, partying to get over it and moving to the other side of the world for a job opportunity, from the uk over to the Caribbean and I haven’t competed since 2012.

I’ve been back in the uk for just over 2 years but with the COVID lockdowns here, the gyms only opened up about 3 months ago.

I’ve started back training 2 gi classes and 2 nogi classes a week, but I feel I’m in a bit of a spot.

It’s a new school to me, I’ve moved back to a different part of the uk, I don’t know anyone but I don’t want to wear my purple belt as I am nowhere near that level any more,

I’m dying halfway through the warm up and of course my fundamentals and muscle memory is comming back quickly ( getting better each class) and my learning curve will of course be accelerated as I get fitter and my jiu jitsu clicks again.

I’m wearing a white belt as I feel I probably want to start my jiu jitsu journey again but that would of course stop me competing as I would not want to sandbag and stop others whites winning their competitions, that would be unfair.

I’m probably not going to compete again I think I’m too old now and am just training to get myself back in shape and enjoy the sport as a health hobby ( I’m 60lbs overweight) so should I wear the purple I earn’t back in 2009 or is it ok to start again at white, not compete and just improve quicker than the other lads in the class.

Any input, thoughts snd advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

4 Likes

Realistically in the later part of his life Helio Gracie could have gotten smashed by most white belts. But he didn’t downgrade his rank nor should he have.

Keep your purple. You earned it. And it will come back at a much quicker rate than a real white belt learning things for the first time. So wearing a white belt is dishonest.

6 Likes

Thanks for your input Mag.

Your take is very much appreciated mate :+1:t3:

You’re welcome.

I think your concerns are ones most of us have had at one point in time. Because aside from professionals and young men who can still prioritize sport in their lives most trainees who don’t earn a living doing this will have ebbs and flows with their training. Two steps forward, one step back with different life stressors. Until injury and age get a solid grip - then it will be one step forward, two steps back. Sadly.

But hey. That’s life for everyone.

Take care.

2 Likes

I would wear white but talk to the instructor and tell him my background. He will guide you, and if you do start at white he will know why you’re advancing so quickly. Most likely, if you don’t want to bring it up he will notice in a month or so that you are well beyond white and ask you.

4 Likes

I vote for wearing your purple, but letting the instructor know. Post covid, you have a lot of people that are getting back into it after a hiatus, and having let themselves go some.

4 Likes

Thanks Mongo and Joe,

I do appreciate your input and perspective, I’ll let the instructor and black belt know as I’m sure it will come up naturally, I’ll let them decide what I should wear as I want to be respectful to the school and the team.

I’m back for the long run now training is back available to me and I have put some of my demons to bed,

I would talk about it with the instructor

1 Like

Good for you man have fun

1 Like

When I went back to a new school after years off they wanted me to wear my old rank even though I wasn’t at that level. It’s very humbling…. But after a couple months when your cardio & flexibility start getting back you will surpass the lower belts pretty quickly. You’ll progress much faster than an actual white belt & be smashing them so it’s really not fair. Plus you earned it.

5 Likes

Sorry, but you have to suffer your rank…

You don’t ever “decide” what rank you are in BJJ, other people do. You never wear a higher NOR Lower rank.

IF you are are a super out of shape / out of practice Purple Belt who can barely do anything, then you’re a super out of shape / out of practice Purple Belt who can barely do anything. Thems the brakes.

You don’t alter your rank to make yourself feel better.

13 Likes

exactly this. Put on your purple belt and suck

6 Likes

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate everybody’s perspective on the matter and wi speak with the schools black belt

Thanks again

Tell him you got a real purple before pussy worm guards etc they’re using so you’ll probably be like a brown now. Good to stir the pot a little. :+1:

1 Like

Suck wirh style

1 Like

And whenever some young guy gets you with a new school, tell them it wouldn’t work in a real fight

2 Likes

Lol exactly :+1:

As soon as a lower belt catches you with a sub, start walking them through the finish to pretend like you let it happen for their training benefit.

6 Likes

Even better when your teacher shows a sporty new school move, call him out in front of the whole class for the move not working in real fights

2 Likes

Nah, best to spaz out, go hard and get yourself and/or your training partner injured.

2 Likes