Starting with Gi after 5 yrs no-Gi

After 5 yrs of no-Gi grappling I am starting out with BJJ. What are the major differences and what mistakes can I avoid? Help me out please...also I have bought a Keiko Raca Gold Weave Kimono, anyone has any bad/good experiences with those?

well first I'd practice tapping. I recommend the "four tap" technique. The Gi is a little thicker and you wanna make sure he knows you're tapping.

Fortunately for me, I have practiced alot of No-Gi tapping as well....

collar chokes.

the end.

probly the biggest problem will be escaping submissions.With no GI for myself i can get out of subs easier and feel much faster.Heck Ill be honest I much prefer no GI but wear GI about 1/3 of the time.I train BJJ at matt serras

What about Keiko Raca GI´s?

ya the collar choke is the biggest problem w getting used to the GI Ill be honest I am 100 times better w No GI and if im ever in a fight ill take my jacket off

Gi chokes.

Getting your guard passed easier.

Escaping positions and subs is tougher.

Getting your back taken when in someones guard cuz its easier to pull the arm across.

Swept from spider guard.

"if i am ever in a fighter i will politely ask my opponent to put his jacket on "

If I'm ever in a fight I will politely ask my opponent to strip down to his drawers.

Actually that might work.

Him: I'm gona KYTFO, bitch!

Me: I'll only fight you if we're both in our underoos.

Him: Uh... nevermind.

I think that it is tougher to get your guard passed in a gi becaucse you have so many handles to hold on to, plus it is easier to have an open guard game because you have better control.

the game slows down a little. The handles neutralize the athletic factor by a degree or so...meaning I can keep up better when wrestling younger more explosive dudes when in a gi

the game slows down a little. The handles neutralize the athletic factor by a degree or so...meaning I can keep up better when wrestling younger more explosive dudes when in a gi

you never know when someone is going to attack you in their smoking jacket.

be prepared for massive stalling

be prepared to get choked out with the bottom back of your karate jacket.

be prepared to hold some pant legs like a mofo.

"Starting with Gi after 5 yrs no-Gi"

why, did you lose a bet?

The worst thing i noticed is the smell from guys who dont wash their Gi and then try to just flat out smother you with it! There should be a law against that...

I wash my Gi once every 6 months and nobody ever complains

Expect not to have sweat dripped on your face as much and also don't expect to haev sweaty guts pushed in your face.