MMA Underground Forums

Stefan Struve is +333? WTF????

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/Aaronyman/ufc95odds.jpg?t=1234239270

Stefan Struve @ +333

WTF is this? Do people actually look into Dos Santos' victory over Werdum this much? It should earn you respect, but not this much. For those of you who don't know Stefan Struve, here's his wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Struve

6'8, decent striker with some good submission ability. I don't care who you are, but a guy that is 6"8 and has decent striking skills is going to give you some problems. Dos Santos has got some fast hands but that length is going to be something that he hasn't dealth with before.

And what about the ground game? Here's the Struve/Neto fight...and incase people don't know who Neto is...he's a very experienced blackbelt in bjj...i think he's one of the teachers at wolfslair..but check this out...and notice how Stefan uses his length to defend on the ground....really, really impressive for a kid that young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onJjK...ge-gladiators/

Now Dos Santos is no slouch on the ground either...I believe he's a purple belt under Nog....but that doesn't prepare you for the kind problems that a stretch armstrong w/ submissions will bring.

All in all, skillz wise, this fight is about even. I'd give the slight edge to Dos Santos standing...but that reach is going to be an issue...think about Tim Sylvia. Many strikers punches just fall short and they end up getting picked apart. But the ground, you've got to give it to Dos Santos...the question is, will it go there? I could see Dos Santos rocking Struve standing and then stupidly following him to the ground, only to get submitted by this beast, or I could see Struve pulling guard from the clinch. He's been more than happy to fall on his back in other fights...probably b/c his ground game is so effective in mma.

So yeah, +333 is INSANE odds for this guy.

so you're saying bet the house!

first i got to edit my post lol....one big block of text is no good lol

i didn't realize pasting it was going to be such a pain in the ass

not sure why anyone would bet this fight.

both these guys are huge question marks.  Struve has never fought anyone of consequence, Dos Santos has fought Werdum and we all know what happened.  How you are forecasting scenarios, baffles me. 

Mad Xyientist -  not sure why anyone would bet this fight.

both these guys are huge question marks.  Struve has never fought anyone of consequence, Dos Santos has fought Werdum and we all know what happened.  How you are forecasting scenarios, baffles me. 

huge question marks? what?

brock lesnar was a huge question mark when he fought Mir...struve has 18 professional fights...what are you talking about?

I think it's more of you being too lazy to look up fighters history's and examining their skillsets...

Where did you find these odds? I did not see them on Bodog or Pinnacle.

Aaronyman - huge question marks? what?

brock lesnar was a huge question mark when he fought Mir...struve has 18 professional fights...what are you talking about?

I think it's more of you being too lazy to look up fighters history's and examining their skillsets...

No, its me not being so naive to think that I can forecast a fight by looking up his record.

The guy has 18 professional fights.....all of them against nobodies.  His 18 opponents have a cumulative losing record.  And he's the best fighter most of them have faced.

Your analysis is "I looked him up on Wikipedia and on the fightfinder, and he has a lot of submissions.  Therefore, he can submit Dos Santos, even though I know nothing about Dos Santos' ability to defend submissions, or even stay off the ground.  I'm going to bet Struve."

"All in all, skillz wise, this fight is about even."

What in the living hell is this based on?!  Even if you have seen most of these two guys' fights (which I SERIOUSLY doubt you have, or you wouldn't be referencing wikipedia), you STILL would probably have no idea if this was accurate, since 98% of the time they were in the cage/ring with someone vastly less skilled then them, and therefore could afford to make mistakes/not fight their best and still get impressive wins. 

How is Struve's chin?  How about his heart/will, is he the type of fighter that fades/gives up/loses interest in the later rounds?  What about Dos Santos, is he?  Has Struve fought in a cage before?  If so, how many fights?  Does he know and understand how to grapple in the cage?  He is listed at 6'8" 220lbs, is that still accurate?  If so, is he giving up a significant strength advantage to Dos Santos?  Does Struve have any takedown ability at all?  Does Dos Santos have any takedown defense?  Can Dos Santos defend submissions?  What does "decent striking" mean?  Does this mean he can throw combos?  Does Struve have good head movement?  Is he a fighter that takes a lot or not many punches?  Do we even know since he has never fought a top flight striker?

How can you POSSIBLY break down a fight between these two, let alone wager anything more than a throwaway bet on it, without knowing the answers to these questions?   

Herring In A Fur Coat -  IMO the odds are based solely on that one fighter is more well known than the other.

And all we know about that one fighter is that he threw one nasty punch.  For all I know +333 isn't nearly enough for Struve.  And I haven't heard anything that convinces me its incorrect.

Hope this fight gets shown both fighters have some hype and seemingly some potential. Should be exciting.

I think this guy is betting on Dos Santos and trying to swing the betting lines.

Mad Xyientist - 
Aaronyman - huge question marks? what?

No, its me not being so naive to think that I can forecast a fight by looking up his record.

The guy has 18 professional fights.....all of them against nobodies.  His 18 opponents have a cumulative losing record.  And he's the best fighter most of them have faced.

Your analysis is "I looked him up on Wikipedia and on the fightfinder, and he has a lot of submissions.  Therefore, he can submit Dos Santos, even though I know nothing about Dos Santos' ability to defend submissions, or even stay off the ground.  I'm going to bet Struve."

"All in all, skillz wise, this fight is about even."

What in the living hell is this based on?!  Even if you have seen most of these two guys' fights (which I SERIOUSLY doubt you have, or you wouldn't be referencing wikipedia), you STILL would probably have no idea if this was accurate, since 98% of the time they were in the cage/ring with someone vastly less skilled then them, and therefore could afford to make mistakes/not fight their best and still get impressive wins. 

How is Struve's chin?  How about his heart/will, is he the type of fighter that fades/gives up/loses interest in the later rounds?  What about Dos Santos, is he?  Has Struve fought in a cage before?  If so, how many fights?  Does he know and understand how to grapple in the cage?  He is listed at 6'8" 220lbs, is that still accurate?  If so, is he giving up a significant strength advantage to Dos Santos?  Does Struve have any takedown ability at all?  Does Dos Santos have any takedown defense?  Can Dos Santos defend submissions?  What does "decent striking" mean?  Does this mean he can throw combos?  Does Struve have good head movement?  Is he a fighter that takes a lot or not many punches?  Do we even know since he has never fought a top flight striker?

How can you POSSIBLY break down a fight between these two, let alone wager anything more than a throwaway bet on it, without knowing the answers to these questions?   

what do you mean, 'what is it based on?'...it's based on everything I said...i didn't just look him up on fight finder, I watched his fights that were available and used the information as best I could

Seriously, some of the questions you asked are retarded. Is he still 220lbs? How the hell can you assume that with anyone fighting? Was GSP 175lbs, 180lbs, 185lbs, 190lbs during the Penn fight? no one knows except him and his camp. that isn't information that is given out to fans.

I could have said alot of those things you mentioned...can dos santos defend submissions...well he couldn't in the fight he lost via submission obviously. I can't say I've seen the fight, but I know he's a purple belt in bjj, and I know that Stefan has submitted a blackbelt....that doesn't say as much as you think, but it does say something.

Struve's striking is exactly what I said it was. Watch his videos and find that our for yourself...if i posted every detail regarding his fight game I'd still be typing right now. According to you I was supposed to type up his footwork, headmovement, combination usage, whether he uses kicks, whether he sets up takedowns, whether he pulls guard, whether he can take a punch, whether he can go after td's, whether dos santos can defend his subs, what subs are struves favourites, and on an on an on.....

18 fights is plenty to figure that stuff out and make predictions...there's no question mark in involved like you said. +333 is amazing odds.

I'm picking struve to win by sub

I have watched footage on both guys and that is my best guess

at +333 its a very good bet. If it was even it wouldn't be a good bet at all

Struve definitely has some slick submission skills for a guy his size, i wouldn't be surprised if he subbed Dos Santos.

I hope you enjoyed your 54 second investment.

lol

Aaronyman - http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/Aaronyman/ufc95odds.jpg?t=1234239270

Stefan Struve @ +333

WTF is this? Do people actually look into Dos Santos' victory over Werdum this much? It should earn you respect, but not this much. For those of you who don't know Stefan Struve, here's his wikipedia page

6'8, decent striker with some good submission ability. I don't care who you are, but a guy that is 6"8 and has decent striking skills is going to give you some problems. Dos Santos has got some fast hands but that length is going to be something that he hasn't dealth with before.

And what about the ground game? Here's the Struve/Neto fight...and incase people don't know who Neto is...he's a very experienced blackbelt in bjj...i think he's one of the teachers at wolfslair..but check this out...and notice how Stefan uses his length to defend on the ground....really, really impressive for a kid that young

Now Dos Santos is no slouch on the ground either...I believe he's a purple belt under Nog....but that doesn't prepare you for the kind problems that a stretch armstrong w/ submissions will bring.

All in all, skillz wise, this fight is about even. I'd give the slight edge to Dos Santos standing...but that reach is going to be an issue...think about Tim Sylvia. Many strikers punches just fall short and they end up getting picked apart. But the ground, you've got to give it to Dos Santos...the question is, will it go there? I could see Dos Santos rocking Struve standing and then stupidly following him to the ground, only to get submitted by this beast, or I could see Struve pulling guard from the clinch. He's been more than happy to fall on his back in other fights...probably b/c his ground game is so effective in mma.

Good analysis.

lol

From: Aaronyman Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Posted: 11 days ago

Edited: 02/10/09 12:22 AM

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/Aaronyman/ufc95odds.jpg?t=1234239270

Stefan Struve @ +333

From: Mike Sanders Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Posted: 2 days ago

Edited: 02/18/09 8:00 PM

Struve has slightly dubious grappling fundamentals, a little bit of striking technique, not a whole lot of power and freakish height. He could become a good fighter in the future, but right now he's slapping loose triangles on 9-14 Seikendo fighters and probably not ready for the UFC.

ttt...for the lulz