Stipe Miocic to Meet with UFC in September

Former UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic is confident he can get a deal done – and get his title back shortly thereafter.

A fight isn’t on the books yet, but Miocic (20-4 MMA, 14-4 UFC) expects to figure out his fighting future in the coming weeks – after his wife gives birth to their second child, which the couple is expecting very soon.

As for his fighting future, Miocic revealed Wednesday to MMA Junkie he already has a meeting on the books with UFC president Dana White.

“We’re going to have a sit down here in September with Dana,” Miocic said. “We’ll figure it out from there. … We’ll hopefully figure that out in the next month. We’ll get there. Dana has been texting me and everything is in negotiations.”

Miocic, 39, has not competed since he lost the UFC heavyweight championship to Francis Ngannou at UFC 260 in March. He was knocked out with a left hook in Round 2. With the win, Ngannou avenged a January 2018 unanimous decision loss to Miocic at UFC 220.

“I haven’t watched it yet,” Miocic said. “I will eventually. I haven’t yet. A lot of things could be better. Unfortunately, it was his night. He caught me with a good punch. What are you going to do? It’s the fight game.”

1 Like

Ole Stipe needs to retire.

Confident deal can get done: ‘I’ll get my title back’

Miocic is a busy man these days. The 39-year-old fighter and his wife are on high alert with the birth of their second child expected to come imminently. Miocic is also slated to play a part in the fight week festivities for Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley in Cleveland, and was at Revolution Fight and Fitness on Wednesday to help promote a program between Modelo and the UFC that has the two partners renovating gyms across the country.

Miocic said he isn’t ready to make any declarations about his next step until meeting with White, but that his focus right now is on two primary goals.

“Honestly, getting the title back,” he said. “But definitely [I want] to get that fight with Francis. Hopefully he keeps it and hopefully we fight again and I get back what’s mine.”

Miocic couldn’t help but laugh at how conversation has changed since his loss to Ngannou. Since UFC 260, it seems as if the whole world is counting him out of winning a potential trilogy fight, even though he already beat Ngannou once in 2018. And for Miocic, all of the doubt he’s been hearing in the months since is really just par for the course.

“It happens all the time,” he said. “I mean, it’s pretty much my [entire career]. That’s fine with me. Maybe because I’m too nice. I don’t know. Maybe it’s because I don’t talk sh*t. I don’t know if I talk enough smack or I’m not a trash-talker, I don’t know. Who knows?”

He called the matchup between Ngannou and Gane “a good fight” and credited Gane for having an unusual skill set for heavyweight — “He doesn’t stop moving,” Miocic said, “he does a great job” — but ultimately Miocic admitted that he hopes Ngannou wins so he can get his shot at revenge. And if that shot does come, Miocic already sees plenty of adjustments he can make to ensure the rubber match doesn’t look like a repeat of UFC 260.

I just do not think he gets his title back. Especially if he has to go after Ciryl to get it.

2 Likes

He could possibly go through Gane. We have no clue if Gane can defend takedowns since we’ve never seen it.

I am a big fan of Stipe whenever he fights. I just get the impression (misguided I am sure) that his heart isn’t into fighting as much.

It does feel that way. Money is obviously good for him but it seems he does want the belt again. I think he fights Gane before the year is over.

1 Like

Gane is way too slick and fast on his feet to let Stipe take him down … all my money is going on Gane in this one

2 Likes

Stipe has good boxing until he doesnt start running with hands down

Possible but unlikely. Stipe, as much as I love him, is winding down.

Guessing we will see Stipe vs Ciryl for interim title in the fall. I don’t think they are willing to give in to Francis yet and will keep him on the sidelines.

Styp vs Jones for the #1 Contender

Stipe is an all time great heavy.
But, he’s 39 years old and has been in some tough fights.
I don’t see him getting the belt back.

If I’m putting money on anyone, it’s Gane. I think he’s a tough match up for any heavy.

2 Likes

tea