Stipe out. This eye poke sh*t has got to stop

FatBuddha -
boxy - PRIDE gloves and take a point after second warning of flashing out fingers.

what are the differences between Pride and UFC gloves?

Pride gloves have a curve on them, so the fingers don’t extend straight out. 

Eskimo -

Thing is, it's absolutely a strategy to control distance and it's really fucked up. It can completely alter the outcome of a fight. Yair should've been DQ'ed. I can't believe so many people think these are all accidents. Lots of guys do it on purpose. 

I feel like JBJ absolutely used the threat of a poke to win fights

3 Likes

I highly doubt the fight would have happened before 2020 regardless. DC needs 4 months to get in shape alone.

mikethecricket -
Eskimo -

Thing is, it's absolutely a strategy to control distance and it's really fucked up. It can completely alter the outcome of a fight. Yair should've been DQ'ed. I can't believe so many people think these are all accidents. Lots of guys do it on purpose. 

I feel like JBJ absolutely used the threat of a poke to win fights

Yes he did and I think others noticed how well it worked for him and started doing the same. 

FrontBroRian -
StrikingMMA - Until the refs start penalizing this, it will probably never stop. Guys like Jon Jones use it as a tactical weapon.

Thread is about Cormier eye poking and injuring an opponent.

Cormier poked same opponent very badly the previous fight.

Cormier has poked several other opponents.

You bring up Jon Jones.

The thread is about eye pokes. Jones is a name that can be brought up in the thread. 

Cormier poked him before the KO in the first fight as well. DC fights a bit dirty.

Rambo John J -
FrontBroRian -
StrikingMMA - Until the refs start penalizing this, it will probably never stop. Guys like Jon Jones use it as a tactical weapon.

You bring up Jon Jones.

Image result for jones eye pokes shogun gif

Jones made a career out of it...has combos based upon it

4 eyepokes en route to becoming the first not undefeated champion

Rambo John J -
FrontBroRian -
StrikingMMA - Until the refs start penalizing this, it will probably never stop. Guys like Jon Jones use it as a tactical weapon.

You bring up Jon Jones.

Image result for jones eye pokes shogun gif

Jones made a career out of it...has combos based upon it

That is so blatant.

Ugh, seriously.

FrontBroRian - 
StrikingMMA - Until the refs start penalizing this, it will probably never stop. Guys like Jon Jones use it as a tactical weapon.

You bring up Jon Jones.

Exactly.

IVE SAID THIS MANY TIMES. THIS IS A FUCKING GLOVE PROBLEM. NOT A FIGHTER PROBLEM. FIX THE FUCKING EQUIPMENT!!!!!

Change the fucking gloves already, you changed the stupid belt. What happened to everlast bellator gloves that everyone gave raving reviews to? There was some immediate change in the frequency of eye pokes after they implemented those. It's not hard.

^that

At least trial the Pride gloves

FrontBroRian -

You bring up Jon Jones.

Jones is more than fair game in an eye poke thread.

Some pokes are inadvertent. Some are totally on purpose. I blame the refs for not having the balls to enforce the rules. Guys like Jones and DC will always push it to the limit of what they can get away with.

1 Like
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -

not so good if you want to base on the floor with a flat hand while being thrown for example though

Is there any reason the finger tips need to be exposed. Maybe they should just cover the finger tips like a mitten. It wouldn't stop eye gouges, but it would probably make them less severe.

Foos - Is there any reason the finger tips need to be exposed. Maybe they should just cover the finger tips like a mitten. It wouldn't stop eye gouges, but it would probably make them less severe.

We're talking about mma, boxing doesn't have a problem with eye pokes.

Hate420 -

Cormier poked him before the KO in the first fight as well. DC fights a bit dirty.

Yep

nogidavid -
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -

not so good if you want to base on the floor with a flat hand while being thrown for example though

There is just as much give to allow basing the hand off the floor.

The glove itself just keeps the fingers in a different starting position.

So if you want to poke an eye you really have to do it and it's harder to claim it was an accident.