Strikeforce should allow elbows to head on ground

I don't understand why elbows to the head of a grounded opponent is not allowed in Strikeforce. I think that "elbow causes cuts to the head" argument is dying in down a lot lately. Fighter's have a better chance of getting a "win" over Fedor with elbows.

They always have before, have they not? Illinois must have been up to shenanigans.

If Strikeforce wants to go the way of the IFL, ban elbows and get a ring.

It encourages better grappling and G&P rather than pinning so I'm all for getting rid of elbows.

Its a sport, not a real fight, and its been a sport for many many years now. I don't understand the 'but its not as real' argument.

fuck elbows on the ground

stomps and soccer kicks should be allowed

I'm a fan of elbows myself, and docs don't seem as quick to stop fights over cuts like they were a few years back. I'm all for it.

Elbows could have really helped the Shields/Miller fight.

blue63 -SF NEVER has allowed elbows.

and fuck elbows... I'd much rather see knees to a downed opponent, they actually cause more damage than superficial cuts.

a lot of retards don't know shit complain about elbows on the ground

yup, knees on the ground would help a lot

Dexter Morgan - Elbows could have really helped the Shields/Miller fight.

knees on the ground would help more

although it's hard to help guys like Shields and Mayhem

This is one of those rare instances where I agree with Haulport. As he has pointed out every time this topic gets brought up, there have been like 2 ufc fights in the last 5 years stopped on cuts caused by elbows, and a million stopped on cuts caused by punches.

The problem with saying "I'd rather have knees on the ground" is that knees on the ground are not legal, whereas elbows are and SF just chooses not to have them. I feel like orgs should allow as much as the athletic commissions will approve, as that's how the sport started and keeps it more exciting. Elbows add a different element to the ground game and can change a fight.

Im trying to figure out why I thought Strikeforce allowed elbows in the past, and I guess it came from a co-promotion with Elite, where Elite allowed elbows and Strikeforce didnt.

No Elbows and no knees is the most watered down MMA there is and only a single rule away from it not being MMA at all. You have taken away stomps, kicks, knees and elbows and added standups, heaven for the less skilled groundfighter in a match who now was extra incentive to hang on and attempt no positional improvment or submission. It almost becomes a short length submission grappling match with referee interference, but less, with padded hands that can further limit certain subs.

orcus -  This is one of those rare instances where I agree with Haulport. As he has pointed out every time this topic gets brought up, there have been like 2 ufc fights in the last 5 years stopped on cuts caused by elbows, and a million stopped on cuts caused by punches.

Queue Orcus's selective memory and hyperbole

FingerorMoon - It encourages better grappling and G&P rather than pinning so I'm all for getting rid of elbows.

Its a sport, not a real fight, and its been a sport for many many years now. I don't understand the 'but its not as real' argument.

I prefer Sengoku's approach of disallowing elbows, but not knees on the ground and stomps. It seems like fighters have plenty of weapons to finish with, yet very very few Sengoku fights are stopped on cuts

its bad enough theres no grounded knees

all elbows should be allowed 

They only allowed them on the very 1st Strikeforce card after that elbows were never allowed. Elbows are stupid givin that fans come to see action not someone holding a someone down an tryin to end the fight on a cut with lil chopping elbows. If you think about it, no elbows means the fighters have to make more space to sit up an ground an pound which means its easier to get up from bottom which causes more action. It also doesnt allow great fights like last night to end by a cut once the bigger guy gets on top. Just food for thought.

Josh "thepunk" Thomson

good point. i've never seen anyone KOd by an elbow

Let's name every fight in UFC history that we can think of that were stopped on cuts caused by elbows:

Florian/Karalexis (actually a broken nose I think)

Stevenson/Yves (I think)

Riggs/Lytle

...that's all that come to mind, I'm sure someone can remember a few more. Hardly a recurrent problem in any case.

" good point. i've never seen anyone KOd by an elbow"

Introducing Mr. Anderson Silva:

or hell, go back to the first UFCs for Remco's and Pat Smith's elbow KOs.

Josh Thomson - They only allowed them on the very 1st Strikeforce card after that elbows were never allowed. Elbows are stupid givin that fans come to see action not someone holding a someone down an tryin to end the fight on a cut with lil chopping elbows. If you think about it, no elbows means the fighters have to make more space to sit up an ground an pound which means its easier to get up from bottom which causes more action. It also doesnt allow great fights like last night to end by a cut once the bigger guy gets on top. Just food for thought.

Josh "thepunk" Thomson

yup great point

^^on the ground dude. it is the title of the thread