Submission % by weight class?

I have done 0 research on this but figure this is the Underground. If you are reading this than you are smarter then me ...... amirite?

What is the submission percentage in mma in each weight class? What percentage of fights in each weight class are ended with a submission and which weight classes are more prone/not-prone to losing via a submission.

I think on the whole lower weight dudes are A. Typically more submission savvy and good at defending and B. Less powerful with their kicks and punches than higher weight guys, so they're less likely on the whole to get finished either way.

I'm sure the percentage rate for KOs AND subs is pretty high at HW, and I think it goes down bit by bit each weight class you drop from there.

This is close to what you are looking for.

I used the numbers for every UFC and Pride FC title holder, both past and present. I think these clearly represent the best of the best MMA fighters sorted by weight class. Here’s what I found:

Heavyweight

(Mark Coleman, Maurice Smith, Randy Couture, Bas Rutten, Kevin Randleman, Josh Barnett, Ricco Rodriguez, Tim Sylvia, Frank Mir, Andrei Arlovski, Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira, Brock Lesnar, Fedor Emelianenko)

Total Wins = 305
Wins by Knockout = 88 (29%)
Wins By Submission = 116 (38%)
Wins by Decision = 101 (33%)

Light Heavyweight

(Frank Shamrock, Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Vitor Belfort, Chuck Liddell, Quinton Jackson, Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, Lyoto Machida, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson)

Total Wins = 225
Wins by Knockout = 103 (46%)
Wins by Submission = 44 (20%)
Wins by Decision = 78 (35%)

Middleweight

(Dave Menne, Murilo Bustamante, Evan Tanner, Rich Franklin, Anderson Silva, Dan Henderson)

Total Wins = 164
Wins by Knockout = 60 (37%)
Wins by Submission = 57 (35%)
Wins by Decision = 47 (29%)

Welterweight

(Pat Miletich, Carlos Newton, Matt Hughes, BJ Penn, George St Pierre, Matt Serra. Note: The equivalent division did not exist in Pride FC.)

Total Wins = 129
Wins by Knockout = 35 (27%)
Wins by Submission = 61 (47%)
Wins by Decision = 33 (26%)

Lightweight

(Jens Pulver, Sean Sherk, BJ Penn, Takanori Gomi)

Total Wins = 97
Wins by Knockout: 36 (37%)
Wins by Submission: 27 (28%)
Wins by Decision: 34 (35%)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/282104-how-do-mma-weight-classes-win-their-fights-expectation-vs-reality

My guess was WW for most subs, from this small data pool that is correct.

I used my google-fu to find this article on the Bleacher Report.

Props to them for doing the research, and to the OP for asking a damn good question.

i think 80 percent of submissions in mma are due to weight classes. meaning 80 % of the people that get subs weigh up to 10 kilos more than thier opponents by the time of the match.