Superfights: What r your general thoughts on them?

Do you like the idea of them or think they are overrated and/or potentially make the fighter from the higher weight class look bad if he loses, even if it's at a catch weight?

There must be a reason the UFC is so apprehensive about having them.

I think a champion losing yet still having a title cheapens the championship. Non-title super fights should happen way more often. I'm crossing my fingers for Anderson vs Fedor Phone Post 3.0

There's a simple rule with superfights:

NEVER, EVER, EVER schedule them for January 31st. It's that simple.

January 31st has cursed the superfights.

GSP/Penn 2 - a one sided fight with a greasy controversy.

Silva/Diaz - a real snoozer (Nick actually tried to nap mid fight) with both fighters testing positive and one now butt fucked by a commission into retirement.

Superfights are great.

Just not on January 31st! Phone Post 3.0

I think they are a great concept but should be at a catchweight in between weights. Fighters should meet halfway in a non title bout.

Malvert the Janitor - There's a simple rule with superfights:

NEVER, EVER, EVER schedule them for January 31st. It's that simple.

January 31st has cursed the superfights.

GSP/Penn 2 - a one sided fight with a greasy controversy.

Silva/Diaz - a real snoozer (Nick actually tried to nap mid fight) with both fighters testing positive and one now butt fucked by a commission into retirement.

Superfights are great.

Just not on January 31st! Phone Post 3.0

Wow, didn't know that about Jan 31st, plus that was pretty funny stuff. VU.

StrikingMMA - I think they are a great concept but should be at a catchweight in between weights. Fighters should meet halfway in a non title bout.

VU. Agree about everything you just said.

First of all, IMO, something can only be considered a super-fight if the two participants are established current champions. For example, while Edgar-Faber was a match-up for the ages with two all-time great former champions, I did not consider it a "super-fight" at the time.

As fight fan, I love the idea of them. Really, who wouldn't have wanted to see GSP vs Anderson in their primes? That being said, I fully agree with ViolentRites, that the loser is somewhat tarnished as a champion. Sure, we get that they might still be the absolute best in their weight class, but the reality is, someone beat them and seeing them in gold never looks quite the same again. That being said, I wish more guys were willing to take on the high risk high reward challenge to cement their legacy in a way very few have done. (But I can't blame them for not wanting to take that chance either).

It has to be two champions to be considered a super fight IMO.

I was really really really pumped for Pettis vs Aldo. Phone Post 3.0

It's always nice to talk about what if but if they really happened the gaps between weight classes would be too much, it wouldn't be as competitive as you think, maybe the smaller weight classes where there is 10lb gaps between the official weight would be better but by and large? Bad idea. Phone Post 3.0

There won't be any.

Brock Lobster - It has to be two champions to be considered a super fight IMO.

Pettis wasn't the champ at the time that was booked. Phone Post 3.0

I think the term gets thrown around too loosely now. Should be 2 champs in their prime that have lots of excitement behind them both. Phone Post 3.0

ViolentRites - I think a champion losing yet still having a title cheapens the championship. Non-title super fights should happen way more often. I'm crossing my fingers for Anderson vs Fedor Phone Post 3.0

Disagree. If you're the top dog in your weight class, and lose to a guy in a different one, you still remain the top guy in your division. I personally love the concept of superfights and would love to see one in the future.

Jibbersbitch -

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought he was... Phone Post 3.0

Brock Lobster - 
Jibbersbitch -

I stand corrected. For some reason I thought he was... Phone Post 3.0

VU for acknowledging. Too many on this site hide and don't come back to admit they remembered something incorrectly. I actually thought they were both champs at the time, too. lol