Switching gyms question

What are the rules??

who promotes you? Your original instructor or new coach??

do you hold the same rank!?? 

Can someone share their experience

Need more. Info.
What belt are u now, why r u switching. How. Often will u train between the 2?

It is all situational. Generally rank would stay the same unless it is an extreme case. There is typically a feeling out period where a new school would not promote you but that varies. Generally your new school would promote you but there could be exceptions. If it is a local school and you're training at multiple places it would need to be agreed on by everyone regarding who promotes you. Are you switching schools locally or moving to a different area?

I've switched a few times due to relocating. It definitely drags out the promotion process. If you care about the color of your belt try to stay at one gym

Dags you leaving where you're at? Moving out of LA or just hopping cities?

I'm a purple belt

train at GRACIE land in Torrance haha

Where I live currently 

but I'm  moving to a city in the OC

so was planning on checking out AOJ

i would love to keep training at GRACIE's at least on weekends

Your band still gonna jam session? I'm heading your way in the next month or so we should link up. I'm the Hawaiian by the way

I was a Blue Belt at an Alliance affiliate. Then moved to Atlanta and got my Purple from Alliance HQ. Took a new job, moved to Utah, got my brown at a Pedro Sauer affiliate. Move to Jacksonville, Florida, got my black from Luiz Palhares (Coral belt under Rickson). Now I moved again and I am in Savannah at a Márcio Cruz affiliate.

I always send a introduction email detailing my training history and that I am moving gyms for work reasons, then go in and introduce myself in person, then start training. No one has ever given me any headaches.

Moving gyms in the same general area seems more sensitive.

Always held the same rank, but you will have to prove yourself for a little while.

things to see people to do - Your band still gonna jam session? I'm heading your way in the next month or so we should link up. I'm the Hawaiian by the way

Yea ! We do 

for sure we'll link up !!!

I'm going to try the class Monday 

I'll feel it out I guess 

let's see

I switched gyms because I had to due to the first one closing. Definitely slows down promotions imo but whatever. I am sure some places speed up the process too though. I wouldn't switch rank, but that is just me. I'm sure the competitors at Atos can smash me into oblivion, but I earned my belts from people that I respect. 

I would like to train with my first instructor again when I am able to, but I wouldn't switch back at this point. An old instructor promoting you would seem weird unless the new coach is a blue belt or something. 

Some teams are definitely strict about outside training if you compete. I don't care about comps and will train with whoever. A school that tries to tell me what to do outside of class isn't for me. 

I would imagine it would also depend upon who do you want exactly to promote you, AOJ or Gracie Academy?

Dag5 -

I'll feel it out I guess 

let's see

Rafa/Gui teach nearly all classes, but just a word of advice they may take Monday off due to coaching at Pans all weekend. Not saying they will, but sometimes it happens. The other coaches are great, but I know if you plan on dropping in you'd prefer to have one of them teaching to see if it would be a fit for you.  Just a heads up! The 6pm mon/wed class are usually loaded with talent from white - black belt as well; so you should get some very good rolls.

ohmy23 - 
Dag5 -

I'll feel it out I guess 

let's see

Rafa/Gui teach nearly all classes, but just a word of advice they may take Monday off due to coaching at Pans all weekend. Not saying they will, but sometimes it happens. The other coaches are great, but I know if you plan on dropping in you'd prefer to have one of them teaching to see if it would be a fit for you.  Just a heads up! The 6pm mon/wed class are usually loaded with talent from white - black belt as well; so you should get some very good rolls.

On Tuesday a friend told me his ex-GF train at AOJ and has been there for a year and has never actually talked to the brothers, except a passing "Hi".

Is that possible...?

How big are the classes?

shen -
ohmy23 - 
Dag5 -

I'll feel it out I guess 

let's see

On Tuesday a friend told me his ex-GF train at AOJ and has been there for a year and has never actually talked to the brothers, except a passing "Hi".

Is that possible...?

How big are the classes?

It's possible, especially if you are passive.  The classes are like 40-70.  They run very efficient classes/somewhat business like, I don't think Rafa/Gui have time to make friends with everyone due to the sheer size of the school.  If you need a super personal touch with your coach; it's probably not the best spot.  I also don't think it's cold or impersonal. 

On the flip side, I've trained at a lot of academies and do feel the class structure and the way they teach is some of the best I've experienced. The talent on the mat is also undeniable, I was a bit shell shocked when I started. 

Well it was an awesome session at AOJ. 

GUI taught the class. Friendly environment. Big class but small locker room with could be a pain if you trying to dress with swamp asses touching each you haha j.k.

but honestly the academy was well maintained. 

I found it weird no one asked a single question when learning the techniques. Maybe they all have it down. 

My rolls were fun !

a lot of savages !! 

I can see myself joining. 

I love my current academy so would like to continued my rankings with them. But I honestly don't care what belt I am. As long as I'm improving and learning. 

I want to compete but my current academy doesn't build you up for it. 

So i hope I can do both without getting the stink eye. 

Too many typos to fix. Sorry***

Dag5 -

Glad to hea you had a positive experience, what class did you attend ??? I Agree my only issue is the small locker room with so many students.  You are correct, regarding the talent level, everyone is really good.

good luck on your decision 

ohmy23 -
Dag5 -

Glad to hea you had a positive experience, what class did you attend ??? I Agree my only issue is the small locker room with so many students.  You are correct, regarding the talent level, everyone is really good.

good luck on your decision 

I went in at 9am class

gui taught. 

I did see Raffa on the 2nd mat with other guys

aoj took home 19 gold medals if I remember GUI saying correctly after class. 

Damn!!!!