Tai Otoshi Question

When you do tai otoshi, is it more of a trip or is there a little spring in there?  I realize your hip is not to make contact but i thought i've seen some people do it where uke is loaded onto tori's leg slightly so tori can spring him up by straightening the leg.  Am I way off or just confusing different techniques?

exactly , the bending of the knee gives a whiplash effect. You can do it forwards, backwards and sideways very versitile and better yet if you combine it with a foot reap. The leg doesn't trip because a trip would mean leaving the leg static and that is not the case in taio. If you don't bend the knee you can serious injure yourself.

Taiotishi was Swain's tokiwaza (favorite technique) he explains it well in his Complete Judo series.

Here's flavio taiotoshi as well
http://www.graciemag.com/?c=149&a=5642

Carlos

Thanks guys

CC

I think this is the hardest throw in all of judo.

I like it but throwing it in competition is another story.

i dont even teach it. if somebody is doing it and already knows it, ill just help them refine it... but i cant do it, never did it, never felt comfortable with it and i refuse to teach it to a beginner.

that's why each club is different and i am very glad to have been around so many others who are great at the throws im not. if Josh Peterson wasn't here with me, there's no way the kids in our club would learn ashiwaza or tio very well.

Check out the Judo Masterclass book on this throw, by Neil Adams. All you ever need to know.

As for your specific question, the springing action is something the Europeans introduced (Neil Adams makes it sound like he invented it, if I recall correctly). But the traditional Japanese version is more of a trip, without the spring.

The spring version is supposedly more dangerous for the knee since you end up straightening your leg at the point of contact. In the trip version, you are less likely to injure your knee if the person falls with all their weight on your leg, since you should just fall in the natural bend of the knee.

IMHO, th spring version is not any more dangerous, both ways are dangerous tothe knee if uke is on his heels or flat footed, especially on sticky mats.

I do the spring version because I do the throw with a funky assed entry due to my shoulders being fubarred. I learned it from one old-school buddhahead sensei,LOL. He was the coolest grumpy oldman I met in Judo. IMHO the key to doing the spring version is to have the ball of the foot planted beihind uke's ball of the foot and having the popping/spring action happen low on their shin.

this is why I love judo.. one man's bread and butter throw is another's nightmare!

I LOVE tai-o!!!

the way i see it, if you truly find a throw that you love, you should do everything you can to seek out the very best people to pick-up as much as you can from them.

if you love tio, go to www.swainmats.com and see if you can arrange a seminar or maybe even some private lessons if you were to travel to San Jose.

Definately! My dream judo trip would be to work with Mike Swain, as I fight left forward and love Tai otoshi.