Taking a class, in class.

You know, I have had about as many internet battles as a person can have by visiting a website. I have been on this site pretty much since it's inception..Since the beginning, before the old blackscreen sf.com days. When we had to link in from a news site.....The trolls come and go, the names and faces change, but I notice one thing that never changes, my anti-social behaviour...

I tend to be cocky, I tend to talk with authority when I really dont mean to, I tend to get super defensive when someone says something I disagree with or find insulting and I tend to still think I have something to prove to people other than myself.

The evolution of the game has been huge since I first started MMA training 7-8 years ago (wrestled before that). The purple belts of that day are low level blue belts today because of advancements in teaching methodologies..The best fighters of that day where wrestlers, bjj guys, judo guys and strikers..

Now-a-days the best fighters are all of those things.

My style too has evolved, at first I was all wrestler. G&P...Then I started training a little more submission to help even out my skill level..I did not train intelligently though, always fight fight fight. Never even really took classes, just showed up on the open mat times to fight....Shit, I swear the first two years I did nothing but train real nhb fights....Thats how we used to train..Get in the ring and fight 90-100%. Back in the day, thats how we did it....This training was stupid though and led to injury..My old wrestling style no longer works for me..I just dont have the aggression left or the ability to maul people anymore because Im 26 and falling apart...This made me really look into what Judo and BJJ was about...Because without them, I would be done..Period.

I remember about 6 years ago or so being a gung ho animal in training, coming in here and spouting off when forum member Thomas Mitchell told me "I'm not saying it isnt a good way to train, I just question the longevity of your career training this way"

LOL..and as much as I hated that fucker, his words are in my mind as if he said it yesterday because of how it bit me in the ass...

Anyway, I guess my point is...I am starting to realize the purpose of Judo in both ends of my life now..That to avoid injury, be it physical, mental or spiritual, it is best to follow the path of a judoka.

And while I feel I am on that path as far as my training is concerned, I dont think I am on that path socially. I am going to attempt to train Judo in this way now too. If I pissed you off here, disrespected you, anything, I apologize. I am always learning from this pursuit.

MFC for life.

Q

I'm glad you got that off your chest.

good post. That is the old addage about Philly boxers, they train so hard and have so many gym wars, their careers are shot before they really begin much of the time.

buddie

Quincy, you are SO Judo.

Best of luck on the mental path.

Pfft, i think Judo is alot rougher then wrestling, IMO.

Quincy Rice, I don't know you but you seem like good people.

TTT nice post

A classy post. Your contributions to this web site have always been appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Q
you r too much!

WTF?

Awesome post!

Great post

nice!

Great post!!!
I know it may just be Quincy's hangover talking but it's still a much classier post than 99% of the trashtalkers on this forum would be willing to make.
Quincy has been a great conributor to the forum for many years. Even though he goes off on tangents every now and then (my opinion of course)his passion for the sport can't be debated and he also has some very good technical insight. If Q can refine his approach he can be one of this forums most important members. I have flamed Q on several occasions but I am sure as hell not going to for this thread.

TTT!!!

Nice. Your class is showing already. Good post.

up

ttt to new beginnings.

I expected the disrespectful comments, the couple already and the plethra to come.. I have found that few really think the way they post here. People are not like this to eachothers faces in this game, only on here where they attempt to show off without fear of retaliation.. My instructor gave me something that I put on my wall years ago next to my rank certificates, it is the path of duty by Musashi. I would do well to read it more whenever I run into posts like wixom's and others. Do not think dishonestly. The Way is in the training itself. Become acquainted with every art. Know the Ways of all professions. Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters. Develop intuitive judgment and understanding for everything. Percieve those things which cannot be seen. Pay attention even to trifles. Do nothing which is of no use. The path of the Warrior is lifelong, and mastery is often simply staying on the path. -Musashi

Great post Q...

I don´t always agree with Quincys posts but he still contributes a lot to the UG...

Great post Q!

Chuck