Tank UFC Hall of Fame?

xcouturefan - 
molsonman - Tank fought a total of 2 minutes and 13 seconds before his fight with Taktarav. You guys make it seem like he was in grueling hour long matches.

Time length of fighting means nothing. You can fight for 20 seconds and break your hand/get injured and just going out there to fight wastes energy.

Frye and Taktarov didn't have to worry about anything when they went out in the semi-finals because they were going to fight for only a couple seconds and it was a "work".

Agreed, they were focusing on and rested for the final before they even walked to the cage for the semi-final.

ttt

Frye was in a war with Goodridge. Tank had two powder puffs. Frye still won.

Frye's second match was probably a work but he still had a tougher draw. Goodridge then would have fucked up Tank.

Oleg's second fight was probably a work. But no way on that night could Tank beat Oleg, because Tank never beat anyone worth a shit.

The myth of Tank coming in and beating these black belts as some bar fighter is the same as Royce beating 300 pound guys in UFC. People remember them, but they never happened.

Whenever Tank was in with a real fighter, he quit fast. His only win of any significance was Cabbage.

Tank in the hof is a no go.
Tito, Chuck, and Hughes deserve HoF much... much more.
/thread

BrazilianBomber - Tank in the hof is a no go.
Tito, Chuck, and Hughes deserve HoF much... much more.
/thread

Tito, Chuck, and Hughes are still fighting and will be for the forseable future. Tank, although he is still fighting, is pretty much at the end.

HST - Is Tank Abbott in the UFC hall of fame? If he is not then I think he should be. Maybe not for his record but I truly think he changed the sport. He was one of the first guys representing more than one discipline, he was the first to wear split finger gloves, and he attracted a ton of casual fans to the sport.

I think he was one of the driving forces behind the sport as we see it today.

Yep, DW loves Tank and has already said he will induct him into the HOF when Tank decides to hang up the gloves professionally=)

Cindy 

xcouturefan - Discretion of Zuffa.

I think awhile Dana said in an interview he wouldn't put Tank in.

No, he didn;t. He said he would. I'll pull the article.

Cindy

Card -  http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3251964

Dana White - “I think the whole thing was a farce [the EliteXC promotion]. I love Tank. I have nothing but respect for him; he’s always been good to me. But I don’t want to see that again…. Tank Abbott absolutely will be in our Hall of Fame.”

LOL! I need to read a thread completely before responding=)

Cindy

Seriously, if Tank get's into the HOF it will really diminish the meaning of the HOF. Who has Tank beat? Tanks has never beat a top caliber fighter or even someone close to a top caliber fighter.

He may have been fun to watch throw down and KO some lesser named fighters but is in now way deserving to be in the HOF. Part of the group of pioneers, sure, but that's not enough to make it in the HOF.

Dana White may like him but that shouldn't be enough to get in. But hey, if he want's to make the HOF a sham then that's his choice.

No way Tank is deserving, period! No argument in the world could justify him entrance into the HOF!

GNPfan - Seriously, if Tank get's into the HOF it will really diminish the meaning of the HOF. Who has Tank beat? Tanks has never beat a top caliber fighter or even someone close to a top caliber fighter.

He may have been fun to watch throw down and KO some lesser named fighters but is in now way deserving to be in the HOF. Part of the group of pioneers, sure, but that's not enough to make it in the HOF.

Dana White may like him but that shouldn't be enough to get in. But hey, if he want's to make the HOF a sham then that's his choice.

No way Tank is deserving, period! No argument in the world could justify him entrance into the HOF!

I get the feeling you are not a Tank Abbott fan?

Do you think Tank helped make the UFC famous, GNPfan?

Cindy

lol im not a ken fan but he was one of the first complete fighters for the time he had some striking knowledge good takedowns and good catch wrestler.
You also have to look at what else he added alot of good young fighters and champs Pete Williams Vernon tiger white mo helped frank Joe hurley do you want me to name more

Why would tank who has a losing record in the UFC get in before Frank Shamrock who is undefeated (left the org a champ) in the UFC?

This alone makes the UFC HOF a joke.

What is the decision process for choosing hall of famers? Does it depend on who are friends with Dana?

no uncle fester haters allowed in HOF

Cindy O

Ask him again. I've heard people have and Dana has had a different answer. One person told me he asked Dana after that quote and Dana said he was misquoted even then.

CindyO - Do you think Tank helped make the UFC famous, GNPfan?

Cindy

Did Tank help make the UFC famous? Is that how you get in a HOF? That's like saying Kimbo helped EliteXC get famous so he should be in a HOF. Give me a break! You should get in via your merits, not by popularity or anything of that nature.

There is a long list of people who deserve it more than he does. Tanks biggest win was... I don't think he has a big win. Jennum? Duarte? Corriera?

This is a no brainer, and can't even fathom why this is even being talked about.

HST - 
GNPfan - Seriously, if Tank get's into the HOF it will really diminish the meaning of the HOF. Who has Tank beat? Tanks has never beat a top caliber fighter or even someone close to a top caliber fighter.

I get the feeling you are not a Tank Abbott fan?

I liked watching him fight but he just doesn't deserve to be in a HOF.

Tank deserves to be on the Hall of Fame for a variety of reasons. First, the idea of the big bully/barroom brawler was never more evident than in the personae of Tank. Even the name tells you everything you need to know. Martial Arts were supposed to be the silver bullet for these type of unskilled savages. Next, Tank created most of the rules in the UFC from his brawling style. After each of his fights, the next UFC would have something new prohibited. Fishhooking stands out the most, but here were others. Also, Tank never backed down. He fought all comers and made a monkey out of more than one "accomplished" martial artist. Last, I have never routed for the guy to win. Ever. He is the guy you love to hate. Well, I wanted him to beat Kimbo, but that is the only exception, and I think I should be allowed that one. The point is he had a definite impact on the sport of MMA, whether it was from his devastating striking, unlikable personality, or his color commentary no one has ever forgotten.

GNPfan - 

Cindy

Did Tank help make the UFC famous? Is that how you get in a HOF? That's like saying Kimbo helped EliteXC get famous so he should be in a HOF. Give me a break! You should get in via your merits, not by popularity or anything of that nature.

There is a long list of people who deserve it more than he does. Tanks biggest win was... I don't think he has a big win. Jennum? Duarte? Corriera?

This is a no brainer, and can't even fathom why this is even being talked about.

Dang dude! LOL  It was a yes/no question. Just curious if you thought Tank helped make the UFC famous. 

Personally, I don't agree with ANY fighter being inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame until he has officially retired and the merits of his entire career with the organization can be evaluated.

Cindy

Mark- I'll ask and let you know.

CindyO - 
GNPfan - 

Cindy

Dang dude! LOL  It was a yes/no question. Just curious if you thought Tank helped make the UFC famous. 

Personally, I don't agree with ANY fighter being inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame until he has officially retired and the merits of his entire career with the organization can be evaluated.

Cindy

Mark- I'll ask and let you know.

No