Tendonitis prevention

I train about 4 times a week, with those days generally front loaded. My problem is that by the fourth session I usually get tendonitis flare up pretty badly, particularly in the biceps tendon. I am wondering if any of you have dealt with this, and what preventative measures you took to stop it from happening. I have anti-inflammatories for once it is already occurring, but I would like to stop it from reaching that point.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you offer.

I used to get tendinitis a lot when I first started, especially in that elbow area. I feel like over the years my body just adapted to the work load and it has gone away on its own. I don't know if others have had the same experience as I.

liuk3 - I used to get tendinitis a lot when I first started, especially in that elbow area. I feel like over the years my body just adapted to the work load and it has gone away on its own. I don't know if others have had the same experience as I.

Exactly the opposite of my experience. I started training in 2002, and could train all day 5 days a week and not feel a thing. Now, I have what I wrote above.

I had tendonitis in my bicep tendon as well (up at my shoulder). I went to physical therapy to get rid of it but you can easily do it yourself.

There is a tens unit on amazon that is quite useful and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Bilt-Rite-Mastex-Health-TENS-Accessories/dp/B00KCEFXMY/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1414773668&sr=1-5&keywords=tens+unit

Also, if your tendonitis is in the shoulder, you will find the video below to be exremely helpful. I brought resistance bands to training with me everynight and did these exercises before class started. It took a few months but it got better and it hasn't come back. Now if I could only get rid of the tendonitis in my elbow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G_btwdKcVc

That's exactly the sort of response I was looking for, Shark. Thank you, and have a VU.

Spc Lee Lohff - I train about 4 times a week, with those days generally front loaded. My problem is that by the fourth session I usually get tendonitis flare up pretty badly, particularly in the biceps tendon. I am wondering if any of you have dealt with this, and what preventative measures you took to stop it from happening. I have anti-inflammatories for once it is already occurring, but I would like to stop it from reaching that point.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you offer.

I had a similar problem about 8 years ago in training. My left elbow would be very sensitive and any time it got banged or if I put pressure on it, it was painful. It also felt unstable where I had little strength in my arm. I had to change how I rolled to avoid pressure on it.

I also tried taking anti-inflammatories and it helped with the pain but did not stop the problem. I had this problem for almost a year before I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He told me I had tendinitis. He had me take Aleve for 2 weeks straight, 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Normal dosage is 1. He said I needed the swelling to go away for my arm to heal. By taking Aleve every day it keeps the swelling down before it happens.

After 2 weeks the pain went away. Arm felt week for a bit longer but I have not had tendinitis in 7 years!

Side Note: I'm sure I got tendinitis when I dislocated my arm badly in a Judo tournament when I was young.

Oh, I don't have to take Aleve every day anymore. I only did it for those 2 weeks.

I try to be careful about how I post on my elbow... Keep the elbow behind the shoulder. If the elbow is directly under the shoulder or a little in front of the shoulder you're going to start pinching and irritating that tendon in the elbow joint area... It's just also better bjj because you can't get the arm pulled flattening you out as easy.

I have had bicep tendonitis and went to rehab. The key is to get the inflammation down first(ultrasound for example) and work on stretching/strengthening the bicep tendon. During this process you need to reduce your workouts that aggravate it.

In Phone Post 3.0

Make sure that you get your shoulder checked. I tore my labrum and had a ton of problems with my biceps before I had it repaired.