Terms: "MMA" ,"Ultimate Fighting"

Do you have a preference for which term is used, and if so,why? Do you get annoyed when others use one term versus another? Should this host website address be changed, or not...(ok, kidding on that last one, lol)

when they say "utlimate fighting" its usually when someone is degrading the sport. like boxing promoters. i prefer mma myself.

Ultimate Fighting is more a term referring to UFC, imo.  Most the guys I know who've been around the sport for 10+ years call it MMA or NHB.

I say mma and then when someone asks what that is I say it is what they do in the UFC

"ultimate fighting" = UFC promotion IMO

I prefer the term MMA.

MMA is definitely the preferred term. Ultimate fighting is just to Xtreme.

MMA!

ko? like kosign a loan for them?

that was dumb...

I didn't realize there was a fighting style called Ultimate Fighting. Where do I sign up for those classes?

The UFC has created what some marketing people call "Branding Loyalty". People begin calling something by the company name instead of the actual product name.

Here's a few examples:

Q-Tips- really "cotton swabs"

Vaseline- really "Petroleom Jelly"

Rollerblades- really "Inline Skates"

Jello- really "Gelatin"

I call it MMA.

'ultimate fighting' just sounds stupid, but yet it's in the name 'Ultimate Fighting Championship'. So why does the term sound stupid? I guess it would be like Peyton Manning saying he plays 'national football' instead of just football.

"The UFC has created what some marketing people call "Branding Loyalty". People begin calling something by the company name instead of the actual product name.
Here's a few examples:

Q-Tips- really "cotton swabs"

Vaseline- really "Petroleom Jelly"

Rollerblades- really "Inline Skates"

Jello- really "Gelatin""

You forgot a couple

Jet Ski- "personal watercraft"

Nintendo(from my era) or playstation(for the newer ear)- "video game system"

Coke- "soda"

lol

Kleenex

Kleenex - Tissue

I don't like "Ultimate Fighting" because it sounds too extreme and just plain stupid. I think MMA sounds a little gay and most people don't know what it is....yet. I think MMA should be called "Professional Fighting"......like "Pro Baseball, Pro Football, Pro Boxing, Pro Hockey, Pro Soccer"......

I know some would argue that Pro Fighting could be confused with Boxing....or that people think Boxing when they here someone is a pro fighter.....But I say we should start calling it Professional Fighting and Pro fighters....We have to explain the difference anyway....start training people to know the difference between referring to a professional fighter and professional boxer....might as well do it right.

I prefer MMA

mma sounds better to me