Thank you Mario Yamasaki!

With the numerous issues there has been lately with "Flurry" strikes to the back of the head I'm glad finally a ref is sticking to his guns and makes a tough but necessary decision. Fighters just do not care any more if they are striking the back of the head while trying to finish, and this comes from a lack of enforcment. Even if you use the 1 inch diameter rule he made the right call, several shots were directly to the back of the head. This is a perfect example where strikes that close can not be accepted if the rules are going to be listened to.

It is always better to rule on the side of safety then to let a fighter slip by because of the "heat of the moment". This can be a dangerous sport if the rules are not enforced, and therefor not followed.

I may be a minority but I applaud Yamasaki for making a tough decision.

Mario did the right thing by stopping that nonsense. Joe needs to repent.

I agree, it's really getting old seeing fighters just completely say "Fuck the rules", once there opponent is hurt. Would be nice if Vitor got DQ'd for striking the back of the head, he does it in almost every fight, every chance he gets. At this point I'm pretty sure he trains strikes to the back of the head.

Agreed Phone Post

Fuck that. There was only one shot to the back of the head and that's while Carlos was moving. Erick clearly made an effort to avoid the back of the head.

Agree aswell. I think Yamasaki did the right thing. Rules are rules, and despite what Rogan said post fight, I did see a bunch of them land to the back of the head.

In.

1 hit to the back of the head is 1 hit too many IMO.

I've been screaming for Rogan to become more Max Kellerman like or Larry Merchant Like and tonight he did. I thought Rogan was justified in asking Yamasaki about his controversial call, but I would have liked to see him temper his tone a bit more I think this was a big step in Rogan's evolution in becoming a more legit Sports Broadcaster. I just think that he needs to work on his tone a bit more.

Props to Yamasaki for standing in the fire and answering questions.

Disagree. The accidental shot to the back of the head was moot.

Took alot of balls. It would have been alot easier just to pretend he didn't see them, like most refs do. 

1 maaaaaybe 2 out of 12 shots hit the back of the head. Definitely nothing more than what happens every other fight. Phone Post

Pink Bunkadoo - 
MartialArtsMixed - Mario did the right thing by stopping that nonsense. Joe needs to repent.

Clarence Parents - Disagree. The accidental shot to the back of the head was moot.

Yeap. Phone Post

No, that was BS. Erick made an effort to avoid the back of the head, and the only time it hit the back of the head was when Prater moved, not at all Erick's fault. Phone Post

Just one or two good shots to the area withing 1inch of the base of the spine can be so damaging that it does not get the attention it needs. If there wasn't other recent big name fights that also struggled with this controversy I would agree this was a borderline at best call. What we have though is a growing issue of uncontrolled shots to the back of the head. I understand sometimes people turn into them and that really isn't the issue. Its these reckless flurries to end fights that could get someone seriously messed up. And it is happening more and more, the rule requires more respect from the fighters and I don't see thar happening without stepping up the enforcement of the rule, which is exactly how I saw it after I gave it some thought. Reffing is a huge part of Mario's life so he is going to be very intimately aware of the recent back of the head controversies.

Even after sleeping on it I'm happy he made the call he did. Seriously, this will probably not effect Silva's career negatively if he continues to perform so well, think about Jones vs hammil. It does stand a chance of changing rule enforcement for the improved safety of the fighter. Phone Post

Much respect to M.Y. for keeping safety first. Extremely hard job.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - I agree, it's really getting old seeing fighters just completely say "Fuck the rules", once there opponent is hurt. Would be nice if Vitor got DQ'd for striking the back of the head, he does it in almost every fight, every chance he gets. At this point I'm pretty sure he trains strikes to the back of the head.

Vitor is a serial offender with back of the head shots.

This place sucks Phone Post

It's all bullshit if u hurt ur opponent and he falls n turns his head while ur already n a flurry not ur fault! Putting a loss on that kids record is fucking ridiculous Phone Post

It was a tough call, which he stuck to because he can't review the call and then decide if he'll keep it, he saw the shot to the back, they were flurrying so he protected prater and went on instinct Phone Post