The BJJ Bully *Question*

lloyd says something like:

when you learn a move its not yours

its like when you buy a house and you make mortgage payments

every time you drill a move you're making payments on that house until you own it

also, if your instructor is not teaching in a way that incorporates reactions to your opponent's counters, then he isn't doing his job

Yeah, why would 290 lbs brown belt have to neckcrank anyone?

Seems very odd to say the least.

Im not saying driling techniques has no importance, especially for beginners, but too much time is spent on it imo. You say you have successfully used a move taught in that same class, but how many moves have you used once and then never again? The same has happened to me. I've drilled something 10 times, tried it 10 times in that same class, gotten it maybe twice, and then never used it again. Also I don't think its possible for a coach to teach all the reactions to opponents counters because there are so any possible permutations. When you find yourself in the shit with someone who's smashing you, you revert to your repertoire of favorite core moves and principles, quite often the new flashy move will only get you in more trouble. There are a few exceptions maybe, but most new moves I think are just a waste of time. I'd rather drill the core moves.