The BJJ Bully *Question*

"He sounds like a cancer on your school. Get rid of him."

I like the way you worded that!

LOL I did no such thing, i dated a girl i was friends with at the gym. Turned out badly...never again.

great way to handle it Ray.

Well done, Ray.  I support everything TwinkletoesCT said - your job as the owner and/or head instructor IS to "protect your students" at all times, before everything else.  Glad to see you took control of the situation - that's all that matters now.  Big props to you!!

Props for caring about the safety of your students.

ttt for a copy of the e-mail lol

ttt for the email. the guy is clearly a douche.

The neck crank was illegal in BJJ and I'd appreciate him not using it in my class. He responded with "We aren't wearing the Gi...you have to learn to defend the move".

I like that answer

I'd have no problem asking him to leave is he won't adhere to the "rules" of your gym. Trust me, guys like him HURT your business, he doesn't help it.

The highest ranked guys should try to help the newbie students so they can get as good as them one day...this big guy didn't get good without the help of other people, so he should act the same way towards others... tell him the gym doesn't need his kind if he wont change

I'm confused? Who owns the gym? This just got juicier with the response.

ttt

I still wish you could train in Memphis... crucifix or not you sound legit my friend.

"if you miss warmups you don't spar."

I've always thought that was bullshit. I'm at a class to roll. I can do my own conditioning, thanks. And I don't need to be exhausted from a crazy warmup. One gym I went to (I won't name it) had a insane 45min warmup, followed by 45 mins of technique that I'd never remember and never use anyway, and then 10 mins rolling(if you were lucky). What a crock of shit! I've improved most from rolling, period. I personally think all the emphasis on technique is bullshit, and a waste of time largely. For beginners maybe, but how long does that stage last? And the line about rolling in an exhausted state improving your game is also bullshit. You're too tired to do anything. I think it's more about the petty little politics that BJJ is full of. The "master" of the class making everyone prove their loyalty. How ironic that after years of criticising TMA, BJJ is nearly as bad now. Nobody dares question the accepted culture.

Yeah and get rid of that bully.

I get bothered by guys focusing on the warmup and doing ridiculous nonsensical techniques throughout the warmup.

I usually miss the warmup and a good deal of the technique drilling and while a couple of the students will make cracks at me the instructors don't mind and laugh about it

Petro; I'm assuming you are trolling, but I've heard people say this before, so in case you aren't;

We do 1/2 hour warmups (all bjj related, nothing just to get "tired') and stretching, 10 mins of positional sparring at 100% (pass the guard), 40 minutes of technique (3 to 4 related techniques per class that get repeated for a week. Each partner reps each technique 10 times), and 30 minutes of rolling.

If you skip the first hour and half of class and just show up to "roll" with guys who have been training the whole time, what exactly do you get out of that? You beat some guys who have been putting in work for the past 90 minutes while you were at home. By the time I leave, I am physically and mentally exhausted. In fact, I hate it when I leave and feel like I have any energy left. To me that just means I need to work harder. Also, proper warmups and stretching are the keys to gaining flexibility and avoiding injury.

I should mention, none of what we do is required. Guys can do what they want, but it is only hurting themselves.

The guys that come in late only help us that are in class from the beginning. They come in 100% which pushes us to keep up when we've trained for an hour already.

mikedub07,

I'm sorry but I don't agree. I've been hearing for years about the value of learning techniques in class but I don't buy it. When rolling, do you execute moves exactly as rehearsed? Almost never. You do step 1, then your opponent counters, so step 2 and your whole plan goes out the window, and you have to do something else. The ability to know what to do at that moment comes from the experience of rolling. The sensitivity to almost infitessimal changes in weight and pressure that can only be learned from rolling. These are the "scramble" type moments that Lloyd Irwin talks about.

I can understand a beginner doing the moves because they don't know the mechanics. Or maybe if you're unsure yourself and want to work on something. But I'd rather spend the time hearing an objective opinion on my rolling habits from an observer- or watching blackbelts and others roll and trying to figure out their nuances and habits. I've learned far more doing this than from learning techniques that I cannot remember during rolling and will never use. I don't care how many times you rep them.

If you're fatigued from exercising you won't be fresh against a newcomer, I'll give you that, but I personally don't like being completely exhausted after training and I don't think it's necessary. As for warmups and stretching helping avoid injury, that's a debatable topic of it's own.

^
Oh, you were being serious...

You probably can't remember/pull of techniques you learn, BECAUSE you don't rep them. Almost, not every, but almost every time it comes time to roll I will pull off one or more of the techniques we are working on in class. I always try to add them right away to see which ones fit right into my game, which ones still need work and which ones are just not for me. Last week I learned a half guard pass for when the bottom guy controls the space with his top leg. I repped it 10 times and then executed it in class on at least 3 guys that night. Since then I've done it every time I'm in that situation. Before that, I had other things that I did, but none worked as well as this particular technique.

So, to answer your question; "When rolling, do you execute moves exactly as rehearsed?"

Yes, all the time.

a 300 pound guy doing neck cranks is a douche bag no matter what belt. Period. Neck crank on training partners half your size=Huge douche.

How does anyone weigh 300lbs?