The Cesar Gracie Problem

He has trained his guys well in BJJ. He has also managed to get their name out there and take a cut of their purse. But it is clear that Jake Shields has his own facility and training situation. Gil Melendez is the same way. Nick has said many times he trains by himself or with friends he brings is.

Do you think GSP finds people to train with? No. Zahabi does that. Or Greg Jackson. Etc. That is THEIR job. To prepare their fighter. Is Cesar a trainer, or a manager? If he's just a manager, that's fine. Then Nick Diaz needs a Team and a trainer. He needs a new camp altogether and Cesar can "manage" him while he trains with another "camp".

If Cesar Gracie is his "trainer", then he's doing his guy a serious disservice. He should be telling Nick, "look, we have to spend money to bring in training partners, coaches, etc. That is part of the deal when you're fighting at this level". Then you hire people and build a team. If you're just going to let a guy call Jake Shields and Gil Melendez to prepare for a HUGE fight, that is negligence. It could be literally the worst example of a trainer screwing over a fighter in the modern history of MMA.

Apparently Cesar Gracie fight team are a group of friends, not an actually MMA camp. Which shows how talented those individuals are, but how dysfunctional that "mma camp" is.

They call Cesar Gracie "Donut" Gracie behind his back (because he's overweight). That's mean/cruel if you asked me.

Well, he takes at least 10% of their purse, which is mean/cruel is you ask me. For apparently doing nothing.

I hate the word camp. But yes your right OP

agreed, Been saying this for a while, those guys need to get away from Cesar Gracie and move to a better camp, I think under a real camp, with a real trainer, they would do much better.

every vid of nick training looks like its in his own garage

MMAReview - He has trained his guys well in BJJ. He has also managed to get their name out there and take a cut of their purse. But it is clear that Jake Shields has his own facility and training situation. Gil Melendez is the same way. Nick has said many times he trains by himself or with friends he brings is.

Do you think GSP finds people to train with? No. Zahabi does that. Or Greg Jackson. Etc. That is THEIR job. To prepare their fighter. Is Cesar a trainer, or a manager? If he's just a manager, that's fine. Then Nick Diaz needs a Team and a trainer. He needs a new camp altogether and Cesar can "manage" him while he trains with another "camp".

If Cesar Gracie is his "trainer", then he's doing his guy a serious disservice. He should be telling Nick, "look, we have to spend money to bring in training partners, coaches, etc. That is part of the deal when you're fighting at this level". Then you hire people and build a team. If you're just going to let a guy call Jake Shields and Gil Melendez to prepare for a HUGE fight, that is negligence. It could be literally the worst example of a trainer screwing over a fighter in the modern history of MMA.

Apparently Cesar Gracie fight team are a group of friends, not an actually MMA camp. Which shows how talented those individuals are, but how dysfunctional that "mma camp" is.

Nice post.

i think it went more like this:

Ceaser: "Hey nick lets bring in these people to train, its going to cost this much."

Nick: "nope"

Cesar Gracie seems to be Nick Diaz's Don King. He totally exploits the kid, teaches him bad habits, and defends his bad behavior

jcblass - Cesar Gracie seems to be Nick Diaz's Don King. He totally exploits the kid, teaches him bad habits, and defends his bad behavior

I was thinking of this same comparison earlier. I mean if I knew one of my casual friends was neglecting something as important as filing taxes I would try to help them out. Cesar supposedly manages Nick Diaz and doesn't seem have ever given a single fuck. Theory as to why; Well as long as Nick is broke he has to fight. As long as he has to fight he will need a manager. And as long as he needs management the checks keep rolling in for Cesar. Pretty sad situation. Phone Post

Wes Sims is all over Caesar "Gracie" !
Hide yo kids, hide yo wife cos his big assis comin fo yo ! Phone Post

Kneeblock - 

GSP has an army around him because he's been getting paid top dollar for years. For Nick, that's a fairly recent development. Phone Post

Sorry but Nick was making 6 figures while he was in EliteXc and Strikeforce. To say he didn't have the money is absurd. What's that old expression "You got to spend money to make money."? Nick just doesn't take his career seriously enough to pay to bring in top talent like GSP does. He would rather blow it on pot [When he said that his fight career was actually getting in the way of his pot smoking one should realize that Nick has some screwed up priorities]

And Ceaser deserves all the heat he gets as far as his managerial skills go.

Obviously Nick shares some blame here. But the guy has publicly said in his last few fights, "I have no people helping me in camp. No one is helping me train." etc. Cesar should be doing this. He's a Gracie for fucks sake, there is no other Gracie team that he can poach from for training partners??

Essentially Nick is calling friends to train with and training with boxers that he is friends with through his boxing coach. Who is leading this guys camp? If it's Cesar, it's a major fail, even if Nick is hard to deal with.

Cesar needs to bring in high caliber wrestlers, pay for them, then take the cost out of Nick's purse as part of camp costs. I mean, it's amateur hour up there at Nick's camp. What the hell is going on?

Not to mention Nate almost missed weight vs Bendo. What does Cesar do, seems like not much of anything.

I can agree with some of this (the fight camp prep and securing training partners), but honestly I think most of their success is the lack of structure.If you look at Cesar's fighters,they are totally different in styles,strengths and weaknesses. Jake is a takedown machine of a wrestler with great top game BJJ and tough halfguard.Nick is a really good unorthodox striker with little wrestling and great full guard.Dave Terrell was an explosive hard punching striker,with great takedown defense, and actually the best BJJ.I think letting those guys develop their personal styles let them reach their potential.I can't think of too many teams that would let Nick develop his style of striking.Most teams force guys to develop within their "team's" style of fighting.

SpiderManBJJ - I can agree with some of this (the fight camp prep and securing training partners), but honestly I think past of their success is the lack of structure.If you look at Cesar's fighters,they are totally different in styles,strengths and weaknesses. Jake is a takedown machine of a wrestler with great top game BJJ and tough halfguard.Nick is a really good unorthodox striker with little wrestling and great full guard.Dave Terrell was an explosive hard punching striker,with great takedown defense, and actually the best BJJ.I think letting those guys develop their personal styles let them reach their potential.I can't think of too many teams that would let Nick develop his style of striking.Most teams force guys to develop within their "team's" style of fighting.

Agreed.

The bottom line is about money. Phone Post

I have seen much worse. And if you think it is just his purse you are nuts. Its sponsors, and everything. Anything he makes money on I will guarantee you Cesar makes money off of it.

Are you really the trainer when your top 4 guys train themselves and your not really involved at all? Other than the 10% you collect ? Phone Post

Caesar gets the money from the nick Diaz shirts I'm pretty sure on nicks own site. Phone Post