The Lance Storm of MMA

Who are some MMA fighters who had everything in the techniques department but nothing as far as an intriguing personality goes? Not so much boring fight styles, but fighters with a lack of a fanbase/intrigue despite their skills in the cage.

This is not intended as a fighter bash, but rather a study of personality and how it can create a market. It'd be better if we could avoid the "who cares as long as they can fight" type responses.

For instance, fighters like Condit, McDonald, Weidman are relatively unknown the the casual fan despite their elite levels. Phone Post

i've always thought Rich Franklin fit in this category. I don't think i've ever been excited about any of his fights...

Frankie. Phone Post

This is a great question. If someone in the UFC could solve it, things would be much better for Zuffa.

I think the way Jon Jones has been winning fights, his heavier weight class (205 was popular with Tito and Chuck, Wanderlei and Shogun in Japan then Randy), and maybe the buzz Jones creates has made him popular.

BJ and GSP both kind of stormed MMA, and did impossible things, really early on in the way they both beat Matt Hughes.

Hughes was a long reigning and dominant champ. If Rory could really smash BJ, then GSP, I think his stock would rise further.

GSP isn't losing anytime soon. I never thought I'd say it. He markets himself well as a real role model for mma. Yes I know we can dig dirt on him up too.

Some fighters just don't push their personality or persona the correct way.
I believe it is their fault in some ways and the promotions fault mostly. Teachers could be further accepted and other public service type jobs fighters have should be exploited.

Hire the guy who made the real world he is a real piece of work at forcing people down your throat. "Like me, like me, come on!" vague but it's obvious that it has to be a two party deal and if done properly these fighters could have a larger fanbase due too proper marketing and acceptance by average culture. Phone Post

It's mostly media attention.

Most of the MMA media covers the UFC more than the rest of the sport, and virtually all of the outside media covers the UFC only when they cover MMA. If you're a headliner (especially a champ) in the UFC then there are many opportunities during the year for members of the media, via press conferences and all kinds of promotional activities, to stick a camera/microphone in front of your face and ask you to speak. That's pretty much how it works. Everyone has a personality, and if someone in the media cares enough to ask you what your thoughts are, and then publishes those thoughts to a wide enough audience, your personality will reveal itself. And even if your personality is normally kind of reserved or bland, if you're a big enough star, the fans and media will make up a personality for you and demand that you account for it.

I guess in a sense its a real double edged sword for the sport. While MMA struggles to legitimize its claim as a sport and not spectacle, stand out characters traditionally sell cards and make the company the most money.

If we had a champion with the skills of Anderson Silva and the media savvy of Chael Sonnen it would the perfect match for y
the legitimacy of the UFC.

I guess what I'm saying is that this sport is yet to see its Muhammad Ali Phone Post

That's from Calgary.......Alberta Canada.

TAFKAS - That's from Calgary.......Alberta Canada.

damn.. beat me to it!

Happiness Bunny -
TAFKAS - That's from Calgary.......Alberta Canada.

damn.. beat me to it!

If I could be serious for a minute without any interruptions... Phone Post

You came here to be serious?

Somebody should post his match with Jerry Lynn from Anarchy Rulz 99. So people can know what a tremendous athlete Lance was.

TAFKAS - Somebody should post his match with Jerry Lynn from Anarchy Rulz 99. So people can know what a tremendous athlete Lance was.

Haha best derail ever! Phone Post

Spencer Fischer Phone Post

Fisher* Phone Post

slaughteringyou - i've always thought Rich Franklin fit in this category. I don't think i've ever been excited about any of his fights...

Same , even though I respect him greatly . Phone Post

Lance wasn't only Canada's greatest athlete, he was Calgary's greatest athlete. Now that's saying something.