The MMA Fanbase Can be Extremely Unforgiving and Critical of the Fighters - The Reaper

Elbow Expose but worth posting a Knuckles Piece

2 Likes

1 Like

The MMA fanbase can be extremely unforgiving and critical of the fighters and this is something former middleweight champion, Robert Whittaker, struggles with the most.

Robert Whittaker has of course reached the highest of highs in the sport, winning the 185lb interim title back in 2017, which he was then promoted to undisputed champion following the retirement of Georges St-Pierre.
After suffering a big upset loss to Dricus Du Plessis at UFC 290 last year, Whittaker detailed seeing the MMA fanbase turn on him as they began to speculate if his career was over.

Despite that, the 33-year-old bounced back with an imposing victory over Paulo Costa just over a month ago at UFC 298, putting him back into title contention.

Robert Whittaker critical of the MMA Fanbase not making it easy for fighters

Talking to Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour, the New Zealander said that going into his fight with the Brazilian, he was ‘nervous’ about a repeat of his fight with Du Plessis. After his loss to the South African, Whittaker was critical of the MMA fanbase for turning on him.

“The higher the rise the lower the fall. To lose makes it that much harder. Now, the MMA community don’t make it easy, those guys are harder than any fight, their criticism and comments are worse than any punch and any kick, don’t get me wrong, I love the MMA community, they’re the lift beneath my wings.

“But they can turn on you at the drop of a dime. The amount of times after I lost to DDP (Dricus Du Plessis), just reading the comments over and over. Rob Whittaker’s washed, Whittaker’s done now that’s it.” Whittaker added.

Although Whittaker was critical of the fanbase’s tendency to turn on losing fighters, he explained that maybe it’s because they don’t always separate the athletes from the fact they’re just normal people.

2 Likes

3 Likes

One of the good guys in the sport.

2 Likes

Bobby Knuckles is an MMA legend

2 Likes