The most hated standing Rear Naked Choke Escape on Instagram

The most hated standing Rear Naked Choke Escape on Instagram, and why I am loving it;-)

No time to watch. I have people to do and things to see. Is this where you use a lighter on their arm to get them to let go?

This guy says when the rnc is applied, turn sideways. This turns the rnc into a side headlock which he then escapes from

2 Likes

I go the other way, i.e. bring my right arm down and around the person in your video.

1 Like

FWIW…

As mentioned above, If you go to the “open” side, you don’t end up in a headlock.If you go to the “closed” side, you do end up in a headlock.

But, historically, if you look at these kinds of defenses they TENDED to go to the closed side. I believe the reason has to do with knives. With a knife to your throat if you go to the “open” side your throat moves across the blade in a most dangerous way. If you go to the “closed” side (where you end up in a headlock), your throat doesn’t go across the knife blade.

If you look at old Jujutsu and even stuff like Krav Maga, they tend not to go the open side.

A lot of jiu jitsu techniques were repurposed from what were originally weapon defenses and they have these biases built into them, which sometimes we don’t even recognize. Not saying they are good or bad, but sometimes it kinda explains why we tend to do things a certain way.

4 Likes

I have found this escape to be absolutely unreliable when the attacker has any skill. Turning the other direction has much less risk. Neither will work if the grip is locked on and tight