The reason DJ is a weak draw

the average tard probably thinks they could beat dj cuz hes so small

most casual viewers are average tards

NBKfanforlife -

He needs to move up on weight.  Fans like knock outs and these guys have a hard time knocking each other out.  

And the sad fact is that most men feel like he is so small that a lot of normal sized bar fighters would kill him.  They'd hold the hand on the forehead and MM would look like a 12 year old.  

Not true but perception is everything 

Excitment alot of the time is knowing the fight can end at any second. The 125 division doesn't have that. If MM was KOing guys, people would watch, you're right.

It takes two to tango. Anderson had his UFC debut against Leben who was a known guy from TUF, then Rich Franlin was a dominant champ who got embarrassed, then Hendo who can put anyone to sleep plus had multiple PRIDE belts, then he fought former champion Forrest who was also a fan favorite, later Vitor Belfort. It was not only how he was incredible in his performances, it was also who he was fighting against.

GSP has the personality of a doorknob but you can find notable people he fought against all over the place, he fought Hughes multiple times who was a fan favorite and a dominant champion, BJ Penn who was another well liked fighter and considered elite, Jon Fitch was not a crowd pleaser but he was a dominant fighter who would beat anyone in front of him and GSP made him look silly.  It was also a division perceived for being quite stacked.

Look at Jon Jones, he was not only a wrecking ball, he was also facing killer after killer, Shogun, Machida Rashad, all those guys were champions at one point and quite dominant at LHW and JJ made them all look foolish, also finished Rampage who's a well known fighter, former champ and regarded as dangerous and durable.

Conor is an anomaly, who can get a crowd just to listen to his press conferences, but he also benefitted from his matchup against Aldo, all the anticipation for the fight, the legitimacy he would gain by beating Aldo, how highly people regarded Jose in rankings and so on. Beating Chad Mendes helped his stock a lot too, that guy was considered a clear #2 of the division and a bad matchup for Conor on top of it.

You have none of that at 125, people couldn't care less about Wilson Reis, Henry Cejudo, Chris Cariaso and so on. Flyweight is regarded as the Mighty Mouse and some other guys' division.

Easters -
shaqitup -
Easters -
shaqitup -

Hes's 5'3. Has no interesting personality traits and weighs 125.

His height is a non factor.  He's exciting and has a good finish rate.

His personality isn't outlandish but it's not what's holding him back.  Stipe draws better than him and he's pretty mundane, but you put Stipe against Overeem and people fuckin tune in.  If you put Stipe against Jared Rosholt nobody watches.  It takes an A side and a B side.  Only Ronda and Conor can draw by themselves.  Even Floyds last PPV flopped because nobody cared about the opponent.

Stipe fights at hw. It draws its self and still has tremors of Brock lesnar.

You're missing the point.  Stipe vs. a nobody is no draw at all but Stipe vs. a known name is a solid draw.  It takes two to sell a fight 9/10 times

No you are missing the point.

Stipe has the heavyweight belt, it is a draw in itself, and heavyweight division is as wel.

StevetheWeasel - I'll always tune in. He's one of my favorite fighters, and with the streak he has going, it's always interesting to see how things will go. Incredibly skilled, and exciting fighter.

Agreed.

In fact, he's the only reason I tuned in to the fights Saturday. I had no idea that Jacare or Watterson or Thug Rose were on the card (I would have tuned in to watch any of them).

The UFC marketing department is dropping the ball and not just regarding Mighty Mouse. I'm coming to the UG a couple of times a week and I still had no idea what fights were coming up, and it's been that way for several UFCs now. I hear more about Connor's time off and Jon Jones steroids than I do about upcoming events and active fighters.

What did Mousasi just say after his last win regarding his lack of recognition? "What do I need to do, dye my freakin' hair blonde"?

Maybe MM is in the same boat. People would surely know more about him if he looked like this. After all, to a lot of fans this is much more important than a MMAist's fighting skills:

Image result for black guy with weird haircut picture

Dodson and Benavidez were the only remotely compelling people he's fought since he won the belt.

shaqitup -
Easters -
shaqitup -
Easters -
shaqitup -

His personality isn't outlandish but it's not what's holding him back.  Stipe draws better than him and he's pretty mundane, but you put Stipe against Overeem and people fuckin tune in.  If you put Stipe against Jared Rosholt nobody watches.  It takes an A side and a B side.  Only Ronda and Conor can draw by themselves.  Even Floyds last PPV flopped because nobody cared about the opponent.

Stipe fights at hw. It draws its self and still has tremors of Brock lesnar.

You're missing the point.  Stipe vs. a nobody is no draw at all but Stipe vs. a known name is a solid draw.  It takes two to sell a fight 9/10 times

No you are missing the point.

Stipe has the heavyweight belt, it is a draw in itself, and heavyweight division is as wel.

That's bullshit.  Do Tim Johnson vs. Alexander Volkov for the HW belt and it draws nothing.  All the heavyweight champs draw well because they've built a following off winning big fights.  Cain beat Brock.  JDS beat Cain.  Stipe beat Werdum.  They're not just popular because they're big

Dj needs to go Heel be a cocky heel like Mayweather during the post fight interview he just needs to say everyone at his weight class is a scrub im sitting on the 125 throne come down and see me or pick your game up and learn to fight then the ratings will boost

Ozamataz Buckshank - Dodson and Benavidez were the only remotely compelling people he's fought since he won the belt.

Yep

I think dj is getting closer to being a star

People are starting to recognize him

This last fight was huge for.him

They would love him in Japan

Thingading - 

What did Mousasi just say after his last win regarding his lack of recognition? "What do I need to do, dye my freakin' hair blonde"?

Maybe MM is in the same boat. People would surely know more about him if he looked like this. After all, to a lot of fans this is much more important than a MMAist's fighting skills:

125 is a dead division. No one watches or cares about it. MM should move up to 135 STAT if he wants the bigger paydays. If you can't get the money to come to you, go to where the money is.

Liyon - 
Thingading - 

125 is a dead division. No one watches or cares about it. MM should move up to 135 STAT if he wants the bigger paydays. If you can't get the money to come to you, go to where the money is.

I hear what you're saying. But it also has to do with his personality. He doesn't talk smack, have crazy tats all over the place, or a freaky haircut. No criminal record, either to "catch people's attention."

Look at Mousasi - he is in the most interesting division of all right now - MW.

And he even acknowledges not many people know about him or give him the credit he deserves. Sure the hardcore MMA fans do, but not the casual.

Thus his comment regarding, "What do I need to do - dye my hair blonde?"

DJ would probably get a little more recognition at BW, but due to his personality, he still would suffer. Just like Moose (one of the best MWs in the world) is at a much bigger weight class.

Thingading -
ausgepicht - His problem is that he doesn't have controversy following him like Jon Jones, he doesn't have a big troll mouth like a Bisping or Conor, doesn't have a heel angle like a Chael, not a thug like a Diaz, a stupid haircut like Dan Hardy, etc.

When you look at the most popular fighters they have these things. The less popular fighters don't. Same reason Dan Cormier wasn't popular until he started becoming a heel. Same reason Woodley isn't popular - but he also is whiny. Stipe is a bit on the dull side too, but he gets a little push because he's a heavyweight.

Particular to MM is that he is so damn technical, that the mainstream fans don't know half of what they are seeing.

There is truth to this. Who here doesn't think MM would instantly become more popular if it was reported that he was involved in a hit and run accident he was responsible for, plus broke a pregnant woman's arm in the process? Sad, but it's true.

Also, he is so unbelievably fast (faster than even his 125 opponents) that most people need to watch his fights at about 3/4 speed to even understand all of the things he does.
MM needs to to go up a weight class and have pictures of him snorting coke off a hookers tits released online. then keep crushing his opponents.

Wölfie66 - sigh

You people can argue back and forth for years to come and it seems so many will never grasp why Johnson will never draw big. I will let you in on a secret

1. He speaks and acts like a martial artist
2. He is articulate and speaks intelligently
3. He is 5'3
4. He is 125lbs
5. See 1 again

Now look at the fighters who draw big and see if 1-5 matches any of them

He speaks like a member of the fucking lollipop guild.

It's a bit of a viscious cycle in my opinion. The UFC doesn't want to promote him because no one currently cares about 125lbers and the division is weak, but at this point, I think they need to realize he's a generational talent and try some type of promotional push. Ideally as he breaks the record for defenses and jumps divisions to become a two belt champion.

Boxing featherweights (125lbs) have definitely managed to produce some big names.

I mean Pacquiao fought at around 120/125/130 until the late 2000s when he was already a sensation. 

Ultimate Cuck - Agreed. None of his opponents are seen as legitimate threats either. It would be like Silva defending his belt against a bunch of Patrick Cotes and Yushin Okamis.

Silva was never a draw unless his opponents name was Sonnen. 

Easters -
shaqitup -

If Stipe fights, somebodies getting fucked up and flat lined. If the little guys fight somebodies maybe getting TKO'd. It's similar to WMMA in the way it's more technique based.

People want to see destroyers

Can I use a comparison with wrasslin'?

Hulk Hogan was pretty much a stiff in the ring, but a huge man with a huge personality and great persona = most popular wrestler ever.

Rey Mysterio was fast, skilled and exciting in the ring, but a small man with no "marketable" personality = couldn't sell a main event if his life depended on it.

Rey may have gotten the respect of wrestling fans for his talents but they were far more excited to see whomever Hogan was going to beat up every night, even if the match itself was a redundant, slow-paced dud.