The scorpion guard

What is it?

I've just read that a sweep from scorpion guard was taught at a Carlos gracie seminar but I've never heard of it.

Links to (relevent) pics if possible, -please.

The scorpion gaurd is unusual in that unlike other gaurds, this one you utilise when your opponent has your back. You still lock your legs around his waist, but with your legs behind you, so you look like a scorpion.

A very advanced technique.

if its what I think fluffywolf described, then its a position where you can readily attack your opponent with leg locks.

odd. me and my girlfriend always call that the "Wheel barrow"(sp?) position...

So let me get this straight. You are lying on the floor face down , your opponent is standing up between your legs, and you have your legs wrapped around his waist. The "wheelbarrow" as mentioned.

Doesn't that just leave you open to all sorts of abuse? Couldn't your opponent widen his stance to keep your legs there and then camel clutch you, for example?

Or flip you over into something approaching a boston crab?

I'll jump into it to avoid a bodylock suplex, and scramble for toehold or kneebar, But I'd rather not be there.

So it's like making good of a shitty situation?

Correct.

Are you describing something similar to the suplex defense Frank Shamrock used against Tito? Tito picked him up from behind and Frank countered by wrapping his legs behind himself around one of Tito's legs.

"Are you describing something similar to the
suplex defense Frank Shamrock used against
Tito? Tito picked him up from behind and Frank
countered by wrapping his legs behind himself
around one of Tito's legs. ".......No, that was the
"ooh shit he's gonna throw me what the fuck am I
gonna do" guard!

No, that was the "ooh shit he's gonna throw me what the fuck am I gonna do" guard!

But the scorpion is the "ooh shit he's gonna throw me, this is the fuck I'm gonna do" guard.

".......No, that was the "ooh shit he's gonna throw me what the fuck am I gonna do" guard!"

But it worked! ;)

We need to get pic's of this.

you guys wanna see some pics, then go see Rich Clementi in the ZST tournament.

Isn't this the position Renzo had on Carlos Newton before taking reverse mount (facing the legs) and attacking the with the kneebar?

Scorpion guard is most effective from a turtle position when your opponent is attacking your neck w/out having his hooks in at all.

If your opponent is over anxious to go for your neck and doesn't have his hooks in AND his knees are in between yours.

As you go to your belly, lock your feet behind his knees and squeeze your legs together disrupting balance/base. Use your arms to help you roll to your back and then escape the choke by twisting your body to a mounted position.

This is the way I have seen it used/described.

Hope it's the same technique.

It works great against newer people who see a choke opportunity and go for it without controlling the rest of your body.

Sounds good if you don't have a spine.

JKDRonin is correct on the Renzo thing.

You guys can get the new BadBreed DVD and Rich is on there showing the toe hold from that position.