the "streetfighter" mindset

Phenomenal thread. I gotta go study, so TOP for when I get back.

Greg

Almost every streetfight I've seen has gone to the ground and has looked a lot like the Early UFCs, or the bar level MMA events.

MAF: I don't know what the hell you've been watch, I've never seen a MMA fight where they've gone into a 'wrestling clinch'. Usually the clinch is done and passed and someone has underhooks or over hooks, or a one or two arm neck hold... That's it. If you've seen a MMA fight where people are in a collar and neck tie, you're watching two lazy, evenly matched wrestlers, or tired fighters.I know you're a troll in all, but I'll entertain you by explaining how this all works. Barring the fights being immediately broken up, most fights here in the states end up like this: Type A: (Optional Opening Cheapshot.) Windmilling until someone gets a headlock, person using the headlock gets a few goofy hogan-like bombs to the face, then they usually tumble to the floor. Lots of sloppy slugging on the ground as one tries to get a few shots in, and the other tries to stand up. Continue from start of Type A or move to Type B.Type B: (Optional Opening Cheapshot.) Both trade John Wayne punches, grab jacket/shirt and start hockey fighting, trading punches and trying to keep the other off balance by lots of pulling and getting the shirt over the face. Usually there's a bullrush (especially if someone is blinded by a shirt) and someone falls over. Lots of sloppy slugging on the ground as one tries to get a few shots in, and the other tries to stand up. Continue from start of Type B or move to Type A.That's about it, those are the major types of streetfights I have seen, and I've seen a lot out here in white-trash-ville. About 75% of the fights I've seen end up on the ground and I've seen that have ended up on the ground, only 25% of the time have they actually intended on going there.Now, if you're talking Multiple Opponents: It goes like the following: (Optional Opening Cheapshot.) Group slugs on Single Person (designated as Joe for simplicity). Joe gets slugged on, tries to get free and run (Sometimes they escape, whoopie). Foot race, there's a tackle or an limb/clothing seized, one person holds him down and gets a few shots in while Joe ties to stand up, everyone else rushes over and drops a few punches until the guy holding him down is up, then the stomping and kicks start.And as far as weapon streetfights: Sorry I've never seen a murder, but I've seen assault with a deadly weapon. 1-5 hits with weapon, then turns into a footrace, then person with weapon bails.Now there are variations of the above, but almost every time...

And one last thing:

The reason you don't see the clinch worked very long is because with the unskilled you don't have to work it too long.

For example: We have trained grapplers (who's takedown and throw skills are a bit weak) who come in and try to work stuff they've seen Tito do and that clinch lasts all of a heartbeat before they are launched with any number of horrible throws. Even done on two inch thick high impact mats, they are brutal to take.

I was working a San Shou drill and every time I'd start trying to throw punches on this guy, out of desperation, he'd try to hit a rushing double leg and I'd hit him with an Uchi-Mata/Mule-Kick Throw/Leg Elevator throw every time.

And these people know what they are doing.

So how is someone on the street when they grab me, gonna do anything to me when I toss those who are somewhat skilled?

The reason why you never see a tie up or a clinch that lasts more than a few seconds on the street is because of one thing: People on the street suck.

MAF: Address my points, yours already have been addressed, your listed events weren't street fights at all.

Nah, Hulk by Testicle Thunderclap.

Testicle Thunderclap? Lois Lane's going to feel that one.

Could probably break her jaw in the right situation...

Do what you think is best for you and ignore what isnt.

Sorry guys, but many martial artists are complete geeks. All this arguing about who did this or that, or the best way to defeat a guy with a knife, 2 big guys, 10 small guys with rubber hoses etc. Its pretty pointless.

If you could repeat a violent incident again and again, each time it would be different.

Enjoy the time you have, and hope that violence doesnt intrude on your life. If it does, do the best you can under the circumstances.

For most people, there are plenty of things more likely to take you out than violence at the hands of another.

ttt

"If you could repeat a violent incident again and again, each time it would be different."

No doubt, this is why an alert mind, healthy body, and large dose of skill in the delivery systems is a must. Those things will always transcend specific circumstances.

"Enjoy the time you have, and hope that violence doesnt intrude on your life. If it does, do the best you can under the circumstances."

That's it.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com