The SUPERJUDGE returns

KIRIK: Half-point scoring leads to quarter-point scoring which leads to eighth-point scoring which leads to....Ten points is enough. Da Vinci said "Beauty is the purgation of the nonessentiial".

Swordslasher: Don't you wanna at least take a guess?

Ryan Macleod: WHAT level of success?

Schow: I'm toying with the notion of doing a seminar for both extant and aspiring MMA Judges. What do you think? Do you think there'd be any interest to make it worth doing? Post back & give me your thoughts. DC/NYC

shootfightermike - what about a boxing question sir?did paulie malinaggi get robbed last night vs the baby bull juan diaz?I thought paulie won but damn I hate the word robbed.

It was a close fight and it was certainly plausible to score the fight for diaz by maybe a round or even two. That being said, 118-110 KILL YOURSELF VAN HOY. Also lol at the ref... corrupt fucking shit.

Oh and I apologize for posting something thats already been said 12 billion times. Just need to vent sometimes ya know?

Master Tang: I must {respectfully} reject the premise of your question, since I don"t think the 10-point 'must' system is silly. But i did like drinking TANG as a child. It made me feel like a lil' astronaut, traveling to faraway galaxies & such . So thanks for that. DC/NYC

Also, I am going to avoid commentary on particular recent boxing events, as that would only cause the inevitable tangential speculation that appears (semi) rampant here. I'm sure it's a worthwhile topic, and it has a place, but I'm not sure it is germane to this discussion.

Also, guys...If you pull up my earlier thread "Ask the JUDGING GENIUS" you will find answers of an in-depth nature on some of the questions you asked...I'm heading to work now, but I'll be back tonight to answer any & all questions, so keep 'em coming & try to keep this thread available to the kids. Best to all, will return in fine form this evening to dazzle you all with my brilliance. Or something. DC/NYC

Douglas Crosby - Also, guys...If you pull up my earlier thread "Ask the JUDGING GENIUS" you will find answers of an in-depth nature on some of the questions you asked...I'm heading to work now, but I'll be back tonight to answer any & all questions, so keep 'em coming & try to keep this thread available to the kids. Best to all, will return in fine form this evening to dazzle you all with my brilliance. Or something. DC/NYC

Good to have you back super judge! I was on your last thread and really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on some of the contemporary issues in our great sport.

A couple of quick ones:

Your thoughts on knees to a downed opponent/soccer kicks in MMA ... Will we ever see them in the UFC?

More rounds ... 3 for standard / 5 for main event or number 1 contender matches / 7 for the belt ... your thoughts?

How badly do you want to hurt Cecil Peoples?

What do you think of Judges like Cecil Peoples (29-28) Bisping?  Don't you want to physically assault someone like this, when they bring so much shame to the sport, and just being a judge? 

Do judges receive any sort of formal training?  Can Cecil even read / write?  Or does he just grunt and someone interpets it? 

Can a professional mma judge make a mma bet?    

Here's the problem:  Fighters don't want fights going to a decisions because the current system is fucked up beyond belief.  Mix in the likes of Cecil Peoples who wouldn't know pussy if it hit him in the mouth, and you have the worlds greatest sport, with archaic boxing rules and regulations. 

Douglas, I for one would make every attempt to attend such a seminar if you decide to hold them. I think, in particular, states with no athletic oversight or states just now getting into MMA (ex. Alabama) would benefit the most.

TTT

DannyOcean - 

Also, what's the hardest round of a fight you've ever had to score? Have you ever judged a fight where you were about to award a round to a fighter, and his opponent flurried in the final seconds and stole the round in your eyes?

How do you avoid letting a partisan crowd ooohing and ahhhing influence you?

Thoughts on Malanaggi?

How often do you find yourself at a bad perspective to see the action when judging a fight in a cage (e.g. Fighters are on the ground on opposite side of cage)?  Are you usually provided with a monitor for these instances?  If so, do you use it or prefer not to?

Gaymida,

He already replied.

"Also, I am going to avoid commentary on particular recent boxing events, as that would only cause the inevitable tangential speculation that appears (semi) rampant here. I'm sure it's a worthwhile topic, and it has a place, but I'm not sure it is germane to this discussion."

Thanks for answering our questions Mr.Crosby.

Hey Douglas - thanks for making another one of these threads.

They really are a highlight on the forum - every few months or so, it seems like you're writing up a new one and giving us fans an opportunity to pick your brain.  Thanks for your time and insights!

I couldn't find your original thread so sorry if this has been answered before.

I live in CA and am an aspiring judge. What steps do I need to take to become a judge?

Who will be judging this Oregon UFC card?