The SUPERJUDGE returns

Douglas Crosby has returned to answer your questions regarding his insights and philosophies on the subject of MMA Judging. Any questions? Ask away.

1 Like

Why are the 10-8's used so infrequently? If a guy barely wins a round he gets a 10-9. When a guy completely dominates a round he also gets a 10-9. The only time the 10-8 is given is if somebody dominates and gets a knockdown or near sub. This is the problem with the scoring.

my other personality -  The only time the 10-8 is given is if somebody dominates and gets a knockdown or near sub. This is the problem with the scoring.

How is that not reasonable?

Hi Mr. Crosby,

Is there mandatory training for MMA judges?

Has anything changed regarding mandatory training for MMA judges?

What is the current process for becoming an MMA judge?

Who reviews applications?

Sorry if these aren't new questions. They just keep coming to mind and I haven't seen answers for them before. If they've been answered a link will suffice.

Thanks,

Chris

Other Personality: I do score rounds 10-8. A recent example was GSP/Penn.

TheMeatyLegend - my other personality -  The only time the 10-8 is given is if somebody dominates and gets a knockdown or near sub. This is the problem with the scoring.

How is that not reasonable?

Read the 1st sentence for why that is not reasonable. For example you have rounds 2-5 of Couture Sylvia where Randy completely manhandled Tim and got a 10-9. Then you see Kampmann-Condit where every round was super close yet the winner got 10-9. See what i am saying? Am I way off base?

Douglas Crosby - Other Personality: I do score rounds 10-8. A recent example was GSP/Penn.

Glad to hear but you are definitely in the minority in the judging community.

MOP: Perhaps I am...But 10-8 rounds are also a minority. Their (relative) scarcity makes them special. I'm glad you posted! Best to you, DC/NYC

Dear SUPERJUDGE

Have you handed out many 10-10 rounds in your esteemed career? I have to imagine the answer is no given that it is nearly impossible to have a full five minute round in which the two combatants offer precisely equal scoring offense. Nonetheless I am interested in how often you've witnessed fights that merit their award, out of curiosity.

Do you have any exciting stunt co-ordination projects coming up soon?

will commissions ever get rid of the silly 10 point must system and do something cool like the way Pride used to score fights? judge the entire fight?

it's really silly when somebody gets a lead on the "score cards" and milks the final round.

I figured this thread 2 be a tribute to Gale Van Hoy from Juan Diaz camp...

but....I ask this all time.

Why not make it mandatory for  ALL Judges and Refree's of  UFC and WEC bouts to attend a certification seminar 2x a year to go over the rules, judging philosophy, scoring, and create a steady guideline to go by to have some consistency on how bouts are scored. 

USA Wrestling/FILA used to do it as the international rules were always being changed usually for the better.

I dont think the 10 point must is the problem as much as how the judges seem to interpret what they are looking at.  And i know all judges dont see the same fight. At least, a video of rules and sitiuations could be compiled with specific video examples of how ref or judges should interpret the action.

Excellent points Odessa

Do the judges talk with each other during the fight? Or are you all completely silent?

Is it just accepted by most judges that 10-10s will not be scored? It seems like there are lots of close rounds, or rounds where both fighters effectively apply their offense for roughly half the time period, where the judges just score it a 10-9 based on some marginal "advantage" like landing one more leg kick than the other guy. If they followed the book when it comes to the definition of a 10-10, that wouldn't cut it

Douglas, enjoyed your work on The Wrestler.

Do you have any advice for aspiring judges, particularly those in states with no athletic commissions? How does one start out to become a judge? How many events/fights should one work before applying for an official license?

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - Do the judges talk with each other during the fight? Or are you all completely silent?

Not to answer the question for him but I heard the judges are places around the ring at different positions to observe from different angles. Perhaps Douglas can confirm.

what about a boxing question sir?

did paulie malinaggi get robbed last night vs the baby bull juan diaz?

What fight did you go into the loser's locker room and explain your scoring?

What do you think about half point scoring?

shootfightermike - what about a boxing question sir?

did paulie malinaggi get robbed last night vs the baby bull juan diaz?

This. Does this disgust you as a professional? Because it disgusted me as a fan.

Also, what's the hardest round of a fight you've ever had to score? Have you ever judged a fight where you were about to award a round to a fighter, and his opponent flurried in the final seconds and stole the round in your eyes?

How do you avoid letting a partisan crowd ooohing and ahhhing influence you?