The tale of the Japanese underdogs in Pride FC.

Pride has been gone 13 years this year. I can't but think of the regular Japanese fighters that would fill the cards. People like Akira Shoji, Daijiro Matsui and the Diet Butcher himself, Alexander Otsuka. Unlike Sakuraba who had good success in Pride, these guys were put in there with larger, more skilled opponents with the intent of helping pad records.

But every once in a while, they would deny their detractors. The underdogs against all odds would overachieve. This is their story.

Akira Shoji

It's hard not to be a fan of Akira Shoji. The guy was all heart but also had some talent. Shoji had a strong judo background and that was evident in his fights, where time and time again he would hit his picture-perfect ouchi-gari. But Shoji was a small guy fighting in a land of giants. Standing at only 5'7" or 5'8", he fought monsters like Mark Coleman and Semmy Schilt - often giving up huge size and weight differences.

I think out of all the Japanese underdogs - Akira Shoji was probably the most talented. He made his debut in the first Pride event against an undefeated Renzo Gracie. This was less than a year after Renzo had knocked out Oleg Taktarov with an upkick. Renzo had the aura of the invicible Gracie behind him. But Shoji gave as good as he got and fought Renzo to a time-limit draw.

After another draw with fellow alumni Daijiro Matsui, Shoji was put in the ring against Wallid Ismail. Wallid had a lot of hype at the time. He had previously beat both Renzo and Ralph Gracie in BJJ. And 2 months after his fight with Shoji, he would go onto choking out Royce Gracie in his infamous challenge match.

Ismail controlled the early part of the fight. As the fight progressed, Wallid tired and Shoji took advantage - ultimately stopping Wallid with strikes. The man who had beaten two of the best BJJ players in the Gracie family had been finished against all odds.

Shoji would then go onto fight Igor Vovchanchyn. Igor was on a 30 fight win streak and had previously stopped a prime Gary Goodridge with strikes. Igor was a scary proposition for anyone and everyone thought he would make quick work of Shoji. But Shoji showed his toughness. At one point in the fight both fighters were windmilling punches at each other, much to the delight of the crowd. And while Shoji ultimately lost a decision, he won a lot of respect for his resilience against the ever-dangerous Igor.

Shoji would get the biggest win of his career in his next fight against Guy Mezger. Only a few months prior, Mezger had defended his King of Pancrase OW title against Yuki Kondo. A title he won from Funaki. But in between his fight with Kondo and Shoji, he had lost a rematch to Tito Ortiz.

Still, Mezger was the heavy favourite - but nobody told Shoji that. Guy won the first round, but Shoji came out strong in the second - taking Mezger down with his patented ouchi-gari. Shoji would hit the sweep multiple times during the rest of the fight, outworking Mezger and ultimately winning the decision.

Shoji would rack up a handful of wins, including one of Ebenezer Fontas Braga and the "Brazilian Killa" - Alex Stiebling. But the rest of his career, the losses started to accumulate when both his size and skillset were outmatched.

Shoji ended his career with a 14-17 record, but numbers don't record heart and effort. And Shoji's career showed lots of it.

Daijiro Matsui

Daijiro Matsui had moved to professional wrestling, after some experience in judo and amateur wrestling in high-school. Matsui wrestled in shoot-style wrestling matches, where although the outcome was pre-determined - the matches visually reflected MMA fights more than typical pro-wrestling matches. He worked with the likes of Kazushi Sakuraba. Ultimately like Sakuraba, he wanted to test himself in real combat and joined the Pride FC roster.

Matsui's career started off with a lot of adversity. After starting his Pride career with two time-limit draws to Sakira Shoji and future ADCC champion Sinae Kikuta - Matsui would go up against a murderers row in his next few bouts. After a decision loss to Carlos Newton and a DQ win over Bob Schriijber - Matsui would fight Wanderlei Silva, Igor Vovchanchyn and Vitor Belfort in his next 3 fights in Pride. He would however to his credit go the distance with both Vitor and Wanderlei - showing a lot of heart in both fights.

Matsui however holds the honor of being a part of one of the biggest upsets in the history of MMA. Having lost 5 straight fights, and picking up his first win of his career in KOTC (Not including the DQ win) - Matsui's murderer's row of opponents continued when he was matched up against the notorious Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons.

Newer fans to the sport might not know who Pele Landi-Jons is, but Pele was one of the most dangerous fighters in the early years of the sport. The first major star to come out of the Chute-Boxe academy, home to Wanderlei Silva, the Rua brothers and Anderson Silva - Pele paved the way for the rest of his team.

In the months prior to his fight with Matsui, Pele had wins over both Pat Miletich and Matt Hughes - stopping both with strikes. If ever there was an underdog in an MMA fight, it was Daijiro Matsui against Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons.

Pele started off the fight with a jumping knee attempt, and clocked Matsui hard with a second attempt following up with hammer-fists. MAtsui looked all but knocked out and Pele took his back in what looked like could be a quick finish. But Matsui toughed it out and recovered, being outgrappled in the beginning on the ground by Pele.

After a stand-up and another jump knee attempt by Pele, Matsui put the Brazilian on his back with a takedown. Matsui then much to everyone's shock started to put the pressure on Pele and was dominating from the top position, dropping some flurries on Pele.

As the second round opened, with some striking attempts by Pele - Matsui put Pele on his back again and once again controlled Pele on the ground for most of the round. Pele started the third round strong, but later on in the round Matsui won the grappling exchanges and put Pele on his back again doing enough to secure the decision.

Matsui didn't have much success for the rest of his career, although he did pickup 2 wins over UFC vets Curtis Stout and Tom "Kong" Watson in Cage Rage. He ended his career with a 14-31 record. But the numbers like in the case of Akira Shoji will never show the full picture of Matsui's career.

With 15 fights in Pride, Matsui was as much a part of the fabric of the organisation as anyone else. His last fight in the company was at Pride 24 in a decision win over Kazuki Okubo. His career spanned 20 years and retired 2 years ago at the age of 45.

1 Like

Alexander Otsuka

Born Takashi Otsuka, he changed his ring name to Alexander Otsuka in a tribute to Alexander Karelin. Like most of the Japanese fighters, Otsuka had a background in amateur wrestling and dabbled in shoot-style professional-wrestling for a few years.

After a shaky start, losing his first 2 MMA fights - Otsuka made his Pride debut in Pride 4 against the King of the Streets, Marco Ruas. Marco was well known and feared in Brazil for his talents. He was a striker with a solid grappling background. He had chopped down the 350lb Paul Varelans with leg kicks in UFC 7 to win the UFC 7 tournament. He followed this up by destroying UFC veteran Keith Hackney, along with a win over former UFC champ Steve Jennum. Up until this point - his only loss was a decision against Oleg Taktarov. Nothing to be ashamed of.

The fight was on. After a hard kick to the body to open the fight by Marco, Otsuka ended up on top in a grappling skirmish. For the majority of the rest of the round, Otsuka maintained top control. Near the end of the round, Marco reversed the position with a butterfly guard sweep, taking a tight mount on Otsuka. Otsuka tried to escape, but Marco took his back and put him in a face-crank with the bell ringing out ending the round.

In the second round Marco looked tired, and Otsuka put the pressure on with some attempts to take him down - ultimately forcing him to the corner, where he put Ruas on his back with a leg reap. Otsuka attacked with strikes from the top, opening Ruas up. Ruas looked visibly shocked as the blood ran down his eye. Otsuka mainted top control as a visibly gassed Ruas looked helpless. Otsuka put the pressure on until the bell round out for the end of the second round.

As the third round was set to begin, Ruas could not continue due to exhaustion and Otsuka - much like Matsui's win over Pele, won one of the biggests upsets in MMA history. "This is one of the hugest upsets I've ever seen in mixed martial arts." exclaimed a shocked Stephen Quadros on commentary.

Otsuka would win only two more fights in pride, including an impressive double-armbar against Mike Bourke. He did however show lots of relience in his losses, including his fight with Wanderlei Silva. His last fight was at Pride 27 in a losing attempt to Ninja Rua. He ended his career with a 5-13 record, his last fight a DQ win over Bob Sapp in 2011.

Shoji, Matsui and Otsuka to me represent the overachieving underdog. While being often overmatched, they somehow managed to pull upsets when all the odds were against them. All three were a part of the furniture in Pride FC and while they may have helped "pad" records, those numbers weren't always easy to come by.

2 Likes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8p16jlkKO8

1 Like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAf9_-zT_zo

1 Like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNoUTrcljw

2 Likes

Fantastic thread 

3 Likes

Dajiro Matsui- Have to give this guy credit. He could take an ass whooping like few can...and would still come back for more.

Ballsy son of a gun.

I used to hate those guys cos I was drinking too much Brazilian kool aid but honestly speaking the Japanese underdogs really made Pride what it became and showed so much heart.

I acutally read them all. Im surprised. Thanks for the content! horrible records but some big upsets for that era

I loved these guy trying and givng it their all. I once got into a fight at a bar with a guy who was HUGE and intimidated me, and all i could think of was guys like Shoji & Matsui getting in there with Beasts and not being afraid. It Helped!

2 Likes

Well done JOB, enjoyable thread. Long live the "Diet Butcher"!!!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

Wow, a  thread with substance....we dont get these very often  anymore. 

Well done op.

Awesome thread!  Thanks for taking the time.  Those guys showed so much heart.

Great thread op. 

Matsui had a docu out through takada dojo called " matsuis pain". It was as the title suggested. Fun fact : matsui shattered sakurabas knee cap two weeks before his fight with gils arsene. 

I remember him running pele into the turnbuckle head first in a quadi piledriver move. One of my favorite pride moments ever. 

Again, great thread. 

I also remember that shoji would " get his house in order" before every fight, just in case he died in the ring. 

I miss guys like that.

PRIDE never die !

Connorwinztharematch - 

Great thread op. 

Matsui had a docu out through takada dojo called " matsuis pain". It was as the title suggested. Fun fact : matsui shattered sakurabas knee cap two weeks before his fight with gils arsene. 

I remember him running pele into the turnbuckle head first in a quadi piledriver move. One of my favorite pride moments ever. 

Again, great thread. 

Awesome! I’ll try see if I can find it.

Great thread.

1 Like

Thread reminds me of Kazuhiro Nakamura.

Nakamura once went 6-4 when he fought Lil Nog, Bustamante, Hendo, Leko, Randleman, Wanderlei, Igor, Kondo, Barnett, and Cyborg back to back.

And oh yeah, he was only 3-1 in MMA when he went on that ten fight stretch. His MMA debut was in PRIDE, vs Lil Nog, the first time they fought. In the rematch that was part of that ten fight stretch, he dropped a split decision while having less than 1 1/2 years MMA experience... all of it in PRIDE.

1 Like
BJ Penn Forever - 

Thread reminds me of Kazuhiro Nakamura.

Nakamura once went 6-4 when he fought Lil Nog, Bustamante, Hendo, Leko, Randleman, Wanderlei, Igor, Kondo, Barnett, and Cyborg back to back.

And oh yeah, he was only 3-1 in MMA when he went on that ten fight stretch. His MMA debut was in PRIDE, vs Lil Nog, the first time they fought. In the rematch that was part of that ten fight stretch, he dropped a split decision while having less than 1 1/2 years MMA experience... all of it in PRIDE.

Out of all the Japanese fighters, he was one of the best for sure. Solid wins on his resumé - Randleman, Bustamante, Vovchanchyn and Kondo. And like you mentioned - he gave little Nog a great fight in their rematch.

Also went the distance with Shogun, when Shogun was finishing everyone from Rampage to Arona to Overeem!

2 Likes