The UFC has gone full WWE

In the TUF era the UFC used to punish fighters for brawling outside of the cage. Even a few years ago they would at least pretend to be outraged when it happened. The Conor/Khabib/Danis fights were treated as serious incidents, even though the fighters never got punished. But today they are actively staging brawls and setting up the whole thing to be filmed with the best possible angle just to promote the next PPV.

I remember when Miguel Torres was fired for making a rape van joke. Domestic abusers would get released. Now fighters can say and do the most henious shit and get rewarded for it.

Fighters used to be punished for turning down fights. Now they sit out for 2-3 years and get rewarded with instant title shots and softball matchups. Meanwhile the dedicated and active fighters have to go through a murderers row and put together insane win streaks to even sniff a title shot. Unless of course they run their mouths off. Being a fighter is not rewarded. Being a jackass is.

Dana pretended for years like he was making the sport more legitimate. The Fox deal. Screwing fighters out of money by getting rid of sponsors and unique outfits in exchange for fighter uniforms and Reebok. The excuse was they didnt want to advertise Condom Depot, which wasnt even happening at the time. But today they advertise Trojan condoms and Manscape testicle trimmers. They bring out a shady and greasy Italian guy to scam people out of money. Its become a ridiculous circus act.

7 Likes

The multiple fighter beefs and all of the personal attacks kind of wore me out bros. Also, Jack Black, Trump and Goggins getting more coverage than Taylor Swift at a Chiefs game.

At the same time, the last card delivered some amazing finishes.

Lastly, where is Hasbulla though? Will he be a special guest referee?

4 Likes

“PPV buys shot up by 25% after that press conference. - Dana White” (when Colby insulted Leon’s dead father)

love it or hate it, the theatrics are here to stay I think.

The only part I hate is that most of the trash talk is bad, like you said, with fighters just acting like jackasses and being rewarded for it. Gone are the days of Chael laying it down on the mic with a rehearsed shtick that would be equal parts outrageous and funny. Or when Brock said Mir had “a horseshoe up his ass”. The UFC isnt the WWE, its worse. Fighters behave and talk as though they’re on twitter, talking hit about things they barley understand or know about, just insulting to insult, act like clowns. Now its attacks on families, personal choices, etc. However these people are cage fighters, none of them are savory people, allowing them to act as they please is good for business because it satiates the wants of the unwashed masses and allows the UFC to differ blame if something goes wrong.

Thanks Conor!

2 Likes

Can you imagine Strickland chugging Bud Lights in the cage? I think Austin stole that gimmick from The Sandman from ECW.

MMA has always been like this, where have you been?

2 Likes

I don’t mind MMA being a little bit pro wrestling, in fact I prefer it. I was never an MMA nerd, I don’t take the sport seriously. I don’t care about useless stats and “strikes landed”. That’s nerd shit. This is entertainment. This is supposed to be pro wrestling, but real.

5 Likes

This stuff is clearly Endeavor’s influence right? Its like they have a completely different approach to mma. Its becoming less and less about the sport.

Yeah, because Dana is known for telling the truth and everyone buys ppvs on Thursday.

1 Like

A lot of us lamented the fact that the sport became more of a sport in the last decade or two. Well, here’s the spectacle that everyone wanted back!

I, for one, am shocked that yulaw is being a dramatic woman.

This is so outside the norm for him.

3 Likes

Arent you the jackass who banned me for no reason? Talk about being a woman. Got all emotional in your ovaries.

Op like many here is retarded. He’s a casual though so take it easy on him

The ufc was modeled off WWF a very very long time ago

Walkout music entrance, with strobe lights
Pre fight video packages for promos
History of heels (Tito Ortiz. Frank mir. Chael sonnen. McTapper. Covington)
Dana white = Vince McMahon

Etc.

1 Like

Dana white wanting to box Tito Ortiz = Vince McMahon wrestling Steve austin

I froze you because you don’t listen. I am sure you learned your lesson……

1 Like

IMG_4765

I agree with most of what you said, but its not new. Its just getting worse. They have always rewarded ridiculous behavior with title shots and contracts. Guys like Gamrot and Dariush have always had to battle upward, while others talk some trash then get a title shot off 1 win. Its sad but people give the money for it so it will only get worse. Now they will be able to drug test the crap out of people they want to lose while making sure their favorites are juiced to the max.

1 Like

If the UFC did a Royal Rumble with 25 random fighters from 205-170 it would sell over 5 million PPVs

Jesus christ another Colby hate thread from you?

Mental Health GIF by By Sauts // Alex Sautter

Yep. Then Powerslap showed that was bullshit