The UFC, twenty years ago

UFC was losing money like crazy. PPV sales were terrible.

UFC only did 5 shows that year, each show only had 7-8 fights.

The big fight for the year was Chuck vs Tito and 11k people watched it live, the gate barely cracked $1M and it only sold 110k PPV’s.

GSP, Serra, Genki Sudo, Nick Diaz, Karo etc… were “prelim fighters” that year.

Even bringing Shamrock and Kimo back to headline only got the promotion 110k PPV sales and the gate didn’t even break $1M.

So UFC held around 40 fights that year.

In 2024 alone UFC has already held around 130 fights in the 1st quarter of the year.

So in 20 years UFC went from holding 40 to around 550 fights a year.on their standard cards and they do another 50 fights a year via the Contender Series.

5 Likes

Some of the older fans swear on their lives the UFC was better 20 years ago than it is today

3 Likes

There were likeable aspects to the NHB era and the pre-TUF era… but certainly, everything was a lot smaller and niche then.

3 Likes

The fights are better than ever, you can romanticize the old times all you want.

The level is insane, a prime BJ Penn wouldn’t scratch the Top 10 in today’s 155 (or 145)

3 Likes

Awkward Nene Leakes GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

I won’t go that far homie

7 Likes

So what you are saying is Penn who went the distance with Machida, beat Hughes in the 1st and some say should have beat GSP in their first fight would be unable to beat Dan Hooker, Dariush, Turner, Bryce Mitchell and Calvin Kattar.

That is a Penn who really didn’t lose a LW fight for almost a decade.

There are some great talent pools and exciting fights for sure but lets not get crazy with the “so and so wouldn’t scratch the top 10” talk.

7 Likes

Obviously its an apples to oranges comparison because of how much more UFC there is these days. 5 cards a year is nowhere near enough, but the average level of entertainment value in 2004, and the general vibe and atmosphere of events > today.

The sweet spot was 2008-2011 when it was 20-27 cards a year.

Only the UFC themselves should care about numbers. All I care about is entertainment and quality of fights.

Yesterday was a UFC apparently. I didn’t even know about it. It’s quantity over quality now, with watered down events.

Check the depth of talent at each division. There are barely any heavyweights.

Probably even less people watched this fight. Yet, it’s a classic.

Modern MMA is also boring. All styles keep each other at the basics. Can’t kickbox at an advanced level because you’ll be taken down. Can’t grapple at an advanced level because you’ll get pounded out. Can’t wrestle at advanced level cause you’ll get submitted or knocked out.

6 Likes

You lost your right to speak on any topic in a rational manner with your obvious bias and delusion with BJ Penn. He had a few very impressive fights but would get beaten handily in today’s talent pool.

1 Like

This.

But I disagree that today it’s boring. I loved it then, love it now.

There were a lot more gatherings for MMA fights then…. Today’s product is boring and so are their fans.

4 Likes

Because there were far fewer events back then and it was a very niche sport

MMA as a whole is better today than ever. You older fans are just being stubborn to change and unable to evolve or adapt with it

3 Likes

There’s absolutely nothing better about it today.

The fighters are shitter, the product is stale, there’s way too many cards.

7 Likes

Only mma fans complain about too many events :joy:

1 Like

The worst heavyweight or light heavy weight today in the ufc would win UFC 1-3 without any issue

2 Likes

I didn’t complain about Pride or if there were more UFC cards from the past… the fighters were better then

1 Like

UFC still cashing in from those “good ole days”

I canceled my ESPN+ and will probably never purchase another PPV

6 Likes

And that goes for boxing too barry…before you fuckin chime in…:laughing:

4 Likes

This year in 2024 there’s a 12 week span of fight cards every Saturday ending with 300

College football fans don’t complain about 12 straight weeks of football

Only mma fans complain about “too many events”

If the ufc went back to only 5 events a year they would lose their fanbase so quickly

1 Like

Loser

2 Likes