Thomson: Fighters above 155 not as good

I think he's definitely right, except I'd include WW in that group as well. Show a sports fan a Demetrious Johnson fight and then show them a JDS fight, then ask them who looks like the more talented athlete. Phone Post 3.0

caseharts -
HerschelHWGOAT -
AldoErasedMyAnswer - 
HerschelHWGOAT - 
RadiO - Josh is right ......145 to 175 got the best fighters

>145 to 175 got the best fighters

The best fighters are the ones who would win an open weight tournament.

Like Royce?

In that time period Royce was the best fighter. In modern times you need to be at least 205 to even have a chance to be considered the best fighter.

Imagine JDS vs Demetrious Johnson, if Demetrious is the better fighter, then he should win.
I don't think mm beats jds but I can see Josh Thompson beating a if hw. Like guto inocente Phone Post 3.0
How is this even a real conversation? Phone Post 3.0

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - I think he's definitely right, except I'd include WW in that group as well. Show a sports fan a Demetrious Johnson fight and then show them a JDS fight, then ask them who looks like the more talented athlete. Phone Post 3.0
The ability to practically KO anyone on earth is more impressive to me than bouncing off the walls full speed for 25 minutes....but I see your point. Phone Post 3.0

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - I think he's definitely right, except I'd include WW in that group as well. Show a sports fan a Demetrious Johnson fight and then show them a JDS fight, then ask them who looks like the more talented athlete. Phone Post 3.0

What if we ask them who is the better fighter?

MasterofMartialArts -
caseharts -
HerschelHWGOAT -
AldoErasedMyAnswer - 
HerschelHWGOAT - 
RadiO - Josh is right ......145 to 175 got the best fighters

>145 to 175 got the best fighters

The best fighters are the ones who would win an open weight tournament.

Like Royce?

In that time period Royce was the best fighter. In modern times you need to be at least 205 to even have a chance to be considered the best fighter.

Imagine JDS vs Demetrious Johnson, if Demetrious is the better fighter, then he should win.
I don't think mm beats jds but I can see Josh Thompson beating a if hw. Like guto inocente Phone Post 3.0
How is this even a real conversation? Phone Post 3.0
What part? Josh Is a enormous guy.i wouldst be surprised he beat a new ufc hw. Phone Post 3.0

It's harder for bigger guys to learn intricate and delicate movements. It's a skill in itself to be coordinated when your that big. Smaller guys don't have to worry about this and can put that into being more refined. Not to mention bigger guys will often power through things that someone smaller has to use technique to overcome. You'll see better technique at lower weight classes in general.

Most of the lighter guys would not be nearly as impressive if they had the size of the heavier guys. They would be less explosive, dynamic, less gas tanks etc. Cain could beat up more people in the world than MM.

Well in terms of talent pool yes.

145-170 pretty much includes the average sized guy, especially when bigger athletes are more likely to get into basketball, football, hockey, baseball, possibly track?

WW average = 5'11.
LW average = 5'9.
FW average = 5'8.

Those are numbers i got off of a sherdog thread from 2012 so could be inaccurate at this point in time, but probably still fairly close.

But obviously smaller guys will be quicker, faster, more flexible, and probably have better reaction.

But bigger guys are still better, not p4p, but in general.

As a comparison, yeah if allen iverson moved the same way, had the same skills and was 6'9 he would be the best basketball player of all time by far.

But being 6'0 is what allowed him to develop those skills.

Smaller guys = quicker, faster, better cardio, more flexible.

Bigger guys = stronger, hit harder.

There are beasts in every division. There are tradeoffs to being bigger just like there are tradeoffs to being smaller. Call me on point or call me uncontroversial, it's obviously the case.

Weidman is good everywhere. So is Jon jones. So is Cain Phone Post 3.0

Boom Phone Post 3.0

AldoErasedMyAnswer - Guys of any size can end a fight
VU Phone Post 3.0

Jay Haas - 
VU Phone Post 3.0

Voted you up as well, for some reason my vote ups or downs don't show.

AldoErasedMyAnswer -
Jay Haas - 
VU Phone Post 3.0

Noticed that... Looks like some people don't feel the same way haha I think I got voted down for saying boom lol Phone Post 3.0

Jay Haas - 
AldoErasedMyAnswer -
Jay Haas - 
VU Phone Post 3.0

Noticed that... Looks like some people don't feel the same way haha I think I got voted down for saying boom lol Phone Post 3.0

I know of at least 3 vu's in last week that never showed

As much as I argue with Josh, he's completely 100% right on this one. Heavier guys also typically score more knockouts because the force of the shots is so much more. It doesn't mean that the smaller guys are too weak, but they don't have all that body mass to throw behind their shots.

RadiO - Josh is right ......145 to 175 got the best fighters
:) Phone Post 3.0

that's why WEC and shooto was/is awesome

Aleck911 - 
RadiO - Josh is right ......145 to 175 got the best fighters
175? Phone Post 3.0

170 my bad

I agree w/ his sentiment Phone Post 3.0