Tim Sylvia: Will the Boos Stop?

Sylvia ready for “Nog”, but will anything stop the boos? - 2/1/2008
http://www.insidefighting.com/betweenRoundsDisp.aspx?uid=4220

"You wouldn’t blame UFC heavyweight Tim Sylvia if he sometimes just wished the fans would be quiet. Despite being only one of two men in UFC history (the other being Randy Couture) to win the heavyweight strap on two different occasions, and winning most of his fights with exciting stoppages the 6’8 Sylvia has never quite been able to win the affection of most fight fans. "

www.InsideFighting.com

no

negatory good buddy

survey says...

Ive met him on several different occasions, and he was a dick every time.

Haha! I knew I'd get the quick answers before people had even read.

ok....think of it as a rhetorical question. Now that I've got your attention, please read the story when you get the chance and share your thoughts.

Buncha smart alecks

no, he acts like a dick, he has been boring and fights not to lose, doesnt really fight to win

Just an unappealing style imo. Respect Big Tim but do not like him as a fighter at all.. Hopefully, he proves his distractors wrong and fights the fight of his life against Big Nog!

Ive been feelimg bad for him in a way. He does train his ass off, Hes not a very athletic guy, hes worked himself from an ackward tub of goo to a UFC Champion. His fights arent always the most exciting but hes kept at it and always comes in shape. Im not sure what hes done to warrant all that hate. It must be frustrating for him, I bet..

They should....unless you're running away in the ring, or cheating, there should be zero boos.

"he has been boring and fights not to lose, doesnt really fight to win "

Well that's certainly easier said than understood (especially since everyone seems to be saying it) but he has won most of his fights, and most of those by finishing opponents.

"no, he acts like a dick"

I see your point. At least regarding how he speaks of many of his opponents. I still have not been able to find anything bad Sylvia has said about Nogueira either. Nothing about Couture either. Really not much about Vera, imo. Maybe he's turning a corner on that street?

"unless you're running away in the ring, or cheating, there should be zero boos. "

I agree. And that goes for everybody.

I think MOST MMA fans enjoy the to and fro of a hard fought MMA battle.

One that has competitors fight at multiple ranges with position changes galore - you don't get that with a Sylvia fight. A lot of that is because of his size and ungainliness.

Interesting, pulsar. On the flip side, he's given a ton of ko's, and people like that - right?

"Tim's problem is he needs to learn to sound a little humble."

Maybe that's it.

Thanks for reading and commenting, MB!

"On the flip side, he's given a ton of ko's, and people like that - right?"

A ton.. I wouldn't say a ton, he has a ko for each of the boring ones.

I like him btw, I usually cheer for him in the face of ridiculously over the top hate for him. Just this time, it's Nog, and Nog is just a special part of MMA.

I thought this thread was going to be about Tim's physique and drinking alcohol... ha ha ha, I'm retarded.

"I wouldn't say a ton, he has a ko for each of the boring ones. "

He essentially has the highest ko/tko win ration out of any top heavyweight, iirc 

"I thought this thread was going to be about Tim's physique and drinking alcohol"

Hahaha!

Thanks for clicking and reading though bro

"Nog is just a special part of MMA. "

I agree. Interestingly enough, sounds like Sylvia agrees as well. Check out his comments about Nog in this story as well as yesterday's press conference. He seems like a big fan of Nog. Just a fan that happens to want to beat up one of their favorite fighters.