Time to recognize Triple C's greatness

I am a bit torn on where to place him as the point of this is to recognize in accomplishments of late but first let me say the following:

1. His win over DJ was very debatable. It was a split dec win on the actual cards and on the writers polled on MMAdecisons, its 13/12 writers in favour of Henry. That means out of 3 judges, 1 judge thought DJ won. Out of 25 writers, 12 thought DJ won. That is hardly a decisive win.

2. He has now defended both belts which I am not sure but he may be the only one to do that? But both of those defenses were a bit on iffy terms: TJ’s first cut to 125, Dom’s return to fighting after his longest layoff.

However, on the bright side,

Now, not only has he defended both belts, he has looked absolutely spectacular doing it. Like Connor, his personality may overshadow his actual ability here. While he may not have beaten DJ decisively, DJ was arguably the PFP king and the GOAT at the time and the most complete fighter in the game and Henry arguably still beat him.

TJ may have had a bad cut but 3xC still ran over him.

Moraes may not have been the BW champ but was the strong #1 contender and was beating the crap out of Henry’s leg and Henry had one of the biggest turn arounds in recent memory and finished Moraes.

Dom may have been out for a while but still presented the usual unique challenge and Cejudo wasn’t biting on the feints and wasn’t at all lost with the angles. He fought smart, leg kicking the shit out of the moving target and most of all, read Dom’s tendencies to duck and timed an absolute brilliant knee that was the beginning of the end.

Cejudo’s improvementin all round MMA abilities is incredible. Anyone that is going to give DJ all he can handle must have a rounded game. We know and have seen Cejudo’s toughness in the Moraes fight but he actually listended to his corner to turn that fight around and actually executed the change in plan brilliantly. And then the technical ability and IQ he showed against Dom was also first rate.

King of Cringe for sure. But undeniable greatness now too.

3 Likes

He is now an all-time great. Not a short lister, but a long lister.

And he kept on improving.

He improved every time he fought. Wasn’t a big fan early on, but all the weapons he added over his fights, he was exciting to watch. 

wazzu19 - 

He improved every time he fought. Wasn’t a big fan early on, but all the weapons he added over his fights, he was exciting to watch. 

Have we ever seen a fighter with such a clear and high level of consistent improvement? I can’t think of any.

TJ improved tremendously, but with him, it felt like it kind of happened all at once.

wiggum - 
wazzu19 - 

Have we ever seen a fighter with such a clear and high level of consistent improvement? I can’t think of any.

TJ improved tremendously, but with him, it felt like it kind of happened all at once.

With TJ*

With Henry, it was just notable and concrete games every fight.

That timing of the knee is pure MMA skill and MMA fight IQ esp against Cruz’s

Cejudo is awesome, fuck the haters. I get how people think he's cringe but he's just trying to sell fights, and he's a legit bad ass.

2 Likes
The Last Emperor -

Cejudo is awesome, fuck the haters. I get how people think he's cringe but he's just trying to sell fights, and he's a legit bad ass.

This. I really like Cejudo, he seems like a cool dude to grab a beer with 

1 Like

What do u guys think of the fact he arguably lost to DJ to begin with?

Wasa-B - What do u guys think of the fact he arguably lost to DJ to begin with?

That shit happens during great runs.

Tony’s run had a split decision early on. Jones had some close decisions. I still think that Frankie won the first Aldo fight (I know I’m in small company).

At the end of the day, “he had an incredibly close fight with the division’s GOAT at the top of his game and arguably won” is a hell of an accomplishment.

Wasa-B - What do u guys think of the fact he arguably lost to DJ to begin with?

I don’t think being in a highly competitive close fight with another great fighter (the greatest fighter in his weight ever) diminishes somebody’s resume. I think it makes it better. We all like to look back on wars. 

1 Like
wiggum - 
wazzu19 - 

Wiggum,

I made this exact thread several hours ago, will TTT

wazzu19 - 

I don’t think being in a highly competitive close fight with another great fighter (the greatest fighter in his weight ever) diminishes somebody’s resume. I think it makes it better. We all like to look back on wars. 

Great post.

Neither frazier or ali was diminished by losing to the other

1 Like
Slowshot - 
wiggum - 
wazzu19 - 

Wiggum,

I made this exact thread several hours ago, will TTT

Cool. I’ll looked for it tomorrow.

wazzu19 - 

It absolutley puts doubt in the title though. It was won on very debatable terms.

Wasa-B -
wazzu19 - 

It absolutley puts doubt in the title though. It was won on very debatable terms.

And this reflects negatively on Henry how?

Wasa-B - 
wazzu19 - 

Maybe. But he defended.

At worst, he went toe to toe with the division’s GOAT and was extremely competitive.