Top 5 MMA Fighters of 2006

1) GSP - He beat two modern day MMA legends, who are routinely mentioned among the best P4P in the world.

2) Cro-Cop - OWGP Champ 4 Fights, 4 First round KO's.

3) Liddell - KO wins over 3 very talented and game fighters (Randy, Babalu, Tito.)

4) Hermes Franca - Would be #1 if he fought some better competition. Still, he stopped all 7 of his opponents in 2006.

5) Anderson Silva - KO'd Franlin and Leben in less than 4 minutes combined. Also KO'ed Tony Fryklund in the first round. Lost once by DQ (Kicking a downed opponent)

I know these are all UFC fighters. I didn't mean for it to be that way but these are my picks and I'll stick with them. What are yours?

AOKI, GSP, GOMI, CROCOP, MELENDEZ

Gomi was put to sleep in 2006 by Aurelio.

"Gomi was put to sleep in 2006 by Aurelio."

yeah and he avenged that loss and destroyed Ishida (the man who clowned Aurelio) like no other has. Gomi is the undipusted #1 LW in the world, he deserves to be one of the fighters of the year.

Denis Kang should be mentioned as well even though he didnt win the final fight.

EVILYOSHIDA, I'd hardly call what Gomi did, squeeking out a close, boring, hometown decision to Aurelio "avenging his loss."

Regardless he was submitted in 2006.

Gomi was tapped easily, didnt really avenge his loss but did come back in a huge way when it really counted. But i wouldnt consider him a fighter of the year esp. when he was on fire last year (05).

No particular order for me:

GSP, Kang, Aoki, Melendez, CC, Chuck.

Filho also did great but the injury/pull out for the GP final kind of leaves a lot of questions....

"Liddell - KO wins over 3 very talented and game fighters (Randy, Babalu, Tito.)"

Any objectivity would have this feat in consideration for fighter of the year.

Aoki's triangle over Black and gogo over Hansen is just phenomenal. Add to that another triangle win (French) and beating top 1O WW and Shooto champ Kikuchi makes for a pretty badass year.

how come no one here knows the difference between KOs and TKOs

"how come no one here knows the difference between KOs and TKOs"

We all know the difference but no one cares. The result is the same. Also when they anounce a fighters record TKO's are counted as KO's.

alot of tko's cudda been ko's if it weren't for those pesky refs.

"I think Sylvia should be fighter of the year. He defeted Silva, Arlovski, Arlovski again, and Monson."

GSP's accomplishment this year would be like Tim beating Cro-Cop and then taking Fedor's title via dominant KO. If he can do that, then he'll be fighter of the year.

"EVILYOSHIDA, I'd hardly call what Gomi did, squeeking out a close, boring, hometown decision to Aurelio "avenging his loss."

Not only did he beat Aurelio in a rematch. He destroyed the man who dominated Aurelio, Ishida.

There is no need for Gomi to finish Aurelio. GOMI is the undisputed #1 LW in the world.

The champ in the deepest division in MMA finished up strong with a stunning victory over the linear #1 LW, Ishida.

He made it look easy, because that's how good Gomi is.

Gomi IS very good. He has just had better years like '05.

While i dont have him on my fighter of the year, Tim's comeback (in more ways than one) win against AA is perhaps the single most overlooked feat thus far imo.

That and Chuck's whole career.

"how come no one here knows the difference between KOs and TKOs"

"We all know the difference but no one cares. The result is the same"

Agreed.

GSP, Gomi, Mirko Cro-Cop, Chackster, Diego Sanchez (I hate his personality but he has fucked up everyone they put in front of him) I cant wait till GSP KHTFO! FP

I'm pretty sure Bart Vale should be somewhere on that list. But fuck, what do I know. I've only been following MMA since '93.

FP lights a match and burns woodenpupa... Bart is a fucking Relic and belongs in a museum next to Ken Shammy and CO...FP