Tougher training: BJJ, Judo, Wrestling?

I believe a practice session in either discipline can be as intense as you make it. If you train yourself to constantly be on the attack you will train your mind, body, and spirit. My son whom now wrestles for a D1 program has always tried to mentally break his opponents in high school and now in college. He simply constantly attacks so much that his opponents, after a while, ask to take a water break, start fidgeting with their clothing, ask like they are tieing their shoes, etc. I believe you can push yourself in that manner in any discipline.

From easiest to hardest

Bjj

Judo

Wrestling

Until you have experienced a college wrestling practice you havent experienced "grueling" by any means

I think Judo and Wrestling on the feet are tougher than BJJ on the mat. You have less control over your opponent standing, so you are constantly fighting for position and moving.

Judo stands out to me in particular with how much stress is placed on your hands and forearms with handfighting.

Mat wrestling in American Folkstyle can be brutal while you are on bottom and someone good is on top of you trying to turn, cranking on your arms and shoulders while you bear their weight. Free and greco too, some people have vice grips that make it feel like your ribs are going to break.

BJJ is tough, but I think you just have more static positions that, while they require strength, don't allow the kind of scrambles and movements that really tire you out.

It's not a coincidence that many if not most top BJJ programs are run by people that learned to run practices through Judo or Wrestling.

There was one day where i did my bjj competition class, 1hr drilling, and then 1 hr with my wrestling coach. He said those 3.5 hrs dont even skim the surface of an iowa practice. .. Of course, this is iowa but still, i was pretty frickin tired damn it. Phone Post 3.0

wrestlers are usually dumb, they have to work harder.

Wrestling, then judo, then bjj

Wrestling is brutally difficult from a conditioning standpoint

Judo HURTS Phone Post 3.0

Wrestling. Phone Post 3.0

raleigh - wrestlers are usually dumb, they have to work harder.
I know this is a troll but still. Wrestlers aren't stupid. Most go to college, even with a scholarship they know they can't really make money with it so they have to work hard in school, after school there is no options besides teaching unlike football or basketball.

Besides even if a wrestler is stupid, the mental discipline they have can make up for a lack of smarts.

Wrestlers have a level of mental and physical discipline unmatched by any other sport. Phone Post 3.0

The Wrestler
A Wrestler knocked at the pearly gates,
His face was scarred and cold,
He looked upon the man of fate,
for admissions to the fold.
"What have you done," St. Peter asked,
"to gain admission here?"
"I've been a wrestler, sir", he said,
"for many and many a year."
The pearly gates swung open wide,
St. Peter touched the bell,
"come in son," he said, "and choose your harp,
You've seen your share of hell." Phone Post 3.0

How tough judo training is depends on the country. Phone Post 3.0

the thing is, wrestling is a competitive sport and the hellish practices everyone is talking about come from that.
Most BJJ and even judo are noncompetitive schools or older people competing but doing it as a hobby. If the same demographic was doing wrestling as a hobby, it would look a lot like recreational judo practice.

At the highest level, I'm sure everyone practices with a much greater intensity than most of us are used to. Phone Post 3.0

Jay Bell - The average wrestling class at a reasonably competitive high school team would make most average bjj or judo players cry. Of course there are elite players in judo and bjj who train incredibly hard but if you are taking about an average participant than there is really no comparison. Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0

Wrestling, then judo, then bjj.  

That said.. wrestlers generally stop wrestling by their mid twenties.   It's generally, by a large margin, a sport practiced in one's youth and when people have a lot more free time.  I don't think it's really a fair comparison, although yes, it is strenous practice.

The conditioning part of my sons judo class is as long as his whole bjj class

Wrestling I'd put second to judo Phone Post 3.0

jacktripper - The conditioning part of my sons judo class is as long as his whole bjj class

is that a class or team?

12 -
jacktripper - The conditioning part of my sons judo class is as long as his whole bjj class

is that a class or team?
It's a very established school... We're relatively new so I wouldn't say he's on their competition squad but it's a serious program (and he's thriving) Phone Post 3.0

If you meant bjj it's not a sport bjj program at all, he's one of the few that competes

It's quality though just not focused on points and little standup Phone Post 3.0

Coming from coaching BJJ to top level wrestlers (a few national champ and one world champ) A wrestling practice is way harder but at the same time its not always harder that is the goal.

Wrestling practices are tough because the conditioning. That stuff honestly should be done outside the time of instructional. Your practice time should be for perfecting skills and reactions, not climbing a rope or doing burpees till you puke. Is conditioning required sure but I want my students at peak mental ability when learning so they actually retain it. You can do your conditioning separately. The other key is that you ultimately can't ask that of an everyday joe that just wants to come in and blow off steam. So thats where you make the distinction. Competitors put in the work and non competitors have fun, roll and BS. If you don't have both groups you are either a McDojo or if you go too hard you have 5 guys in the gym and you can't afford to keep the lights on. Phone Post 3.0

Bruce Hoyer - Coming from coaching BJJ to top level wrestlers (a few national champ and one world champ) A wrestling practice is way harder but at the same time its not always harder that is the goal.

Wrestling practices are tough because the conditioning. That stuff honestly should be done outside the time of instructional. Your practice time should be for perfecting skills and reactions, not climbing a rope or doing burpees till you puke. Is conditioning required sure but I want my students at peak mental ability when learning so they actually retain it. You can do your conditioning separately. The other key is that you ultimately can't ask that of an everyday joe that just wants to come in and blow off steam. So thats where you make the distinction. Competitors put in the work and non competitors have fun, roll and BS. If you don't have both groups you are either a McDojo or if you go too hard you have 5 guys in the gym and you can't afford to keep the lights on. Phone Post 3.0

Vote up!