Toughest Guys to Hit - a Defensive Thread

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  Erick Silva. Very fast, very elusive. Phone Post

He hasn't faced anyone that can test this claim. He also got tagged a few times by Fitch, IIRC.

He's incredibly explosive though, the High performance was very impressive. I'm not sure his explosiveness translates to defense, and he hasn't faced a striker yet.

I'd be interested seeing him fight Alves, but Lawler would do (as he's available).

There aren't many guy moving out of the way and ducking around strikes on the feet like Silva does at any stage of their career. Are you going to tell me the same thing about Rory's ground game because of his competition? Probably not, the eye test tells us different. Phone Post

Anderson silva by far the hardest to hit. Seriously Phone Post 3.0

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

He hasn't faced anyone that can test this claim. He also got tagged a few times by Fitch, IIRC.

He's incredibly explosive though, the High performance was very impressive. I'm not sure his explosiveness translates to defense, and he hasn't faced a striker yet.

I'd be interested seeing him fight Alves, but Lawler would do (as he's available).

There aren't many guy moving out of the way and ducking around strikes on the feet like Silva does at any stage of their career. Are you going to tell me the same thing about Rory's ground game because of his competition? Probably not, the eye test tells us different. Phone Post

I don't really recall him dipping and dodging people's strikes (although I'm probably wrong). Rory's striking game and ground game is far more battle-tested (and better IMO) than Silva's. Manhandling Diaz and Pyle on the ground and destroying BJ on the feet is more impressive than doing the same but to Luis Ramos, Carlo Prater, Charlie Brenneman and Jason High, while getting pretty soundly beaten by Fitch.

AS is WAY ahead, no should mention other fighters even in the same thread he's so far ahead.

Hands down, nothing to talk about. I have a standing challenge given to the forum to show a single GIF of him getting hit with a huge punch (no hand punches- the fighters weight must be behind the punch) in which the fighter delivering the punch did NOT have his hand fully extended when contact occured.

AS the greatest defensive striker in MMA history.

/thread

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

I don't really recall him dipping and dodging people's strikes (although I'm probably wrong). Rory's striking game and ground game is far more battle-tested (and better IMO) than Silva's. Manhandling Diaz and Pyle on the ground and destroying BJ on the feet is more impressive than doing the same but to Luis Ramos, Carlo Prater, Charlie Brenneman and Jason High, while getting pretty soundly beaten by Fitch.

Lol, he was competitive with Fitch just as long as Rory was competitive with Condit.

You are kind of missing my point though. I can watch a guy do certain things a certain way and tell he's good at it. For instance you could tell Aldo and Pettis were pretty good strikers before they fought top competition in WEC title fights. Phone Post

SApM - Strikes Absorbed per Min.

Rank Fighter Total
1 Pete Spratt 1.04
2 Phil Davis 1.08
3 Ivan Salaverry 1.15
4 Jon Madsen 1.18
5 Roan Carneiro 1.25
5 Renato Sobral 1.25
7 Chael Sonnen 1.26
8 Chad Mendes 1.27
8 Georges St-Pierre 1.27
10 Matt Lindland 1.31
10 Ricco Rodriguez 1.31
~ minimum 5 UFC fights.

Significant Strike Defense

Rank Fighter Total
1 Jon Madsen 81.4%
2 John Makdessi 76.2%
3 Georges St-Pierre 75.1%
4 Phil Davis 74.2%
5 Ryan Bader 72.4%
6 Gray Maynard 71.9%
7 Frankie Edgar 71.6%
8 Max Holloway 71.3%
9 Rafael dos Anjos 70.7%
10 Michael Bisping 70.6%
~minimum 5 UFC fights and 350 strike attempts by opponents (Defense refers to the percentage of opponents' attempts that do not land)
CanadianGSPFan - 
Lazer MMA -
AS is WAY ahead, no should mention other fighters even in the same thread he's so far ahead.

Hands down, nothing to talk about. I have a standing challenge given to the forum to show a single GIF of him getting hit with a huge punch (no hand punches- the fighters weight must be behind the punch) in which the fighter delivering the punch did NOT have his hand fully extended when contact occured.

/thread

Serious question - what did Chael hit him with that knocked him down?

I don't remember them being huge shots, so I guess just grazing shots?

But you're right, I don't remember having ever seen him get clocked with a huge shot. Phone Post

AS with hands down (his 1st round stuff). Sonnen hit him with his arm fully extended (AS turned his head), not a huge shot. AS not in danger from that punch alone.

Ansari -

Rank Fighter Total
1 Pete Spratt 1.04
2 Phil Davis 1.08
3 Ivan Salaverry 1.15
4 Jon Madsen 1.18
5 Roan Carneiro 1.25
5 Renato Sobral 1.25
7 Chael Sonnen 1.26
8 Chad Mendes 1.27
8 Georges St-Pierre 1.27
10 Matt Lindland 1.31
10 Ricco Rodriguez 1.31
~ minimum 5 UFC fights.

Rank Fighter Total
1 Jon Madsen 81.4%
2 John Makdessi 76.2%
4 Phil Davis 74.2%
5 Ryan Bader 72.4%
6 Gray Maynard 71.9%
7 Frankie Edgar 71.6%
8 Max Holloway 71.3%
9 Rafael dos Anjos 70.7%
10 Michael Bisping 70.6%
~minimum 5 UFC fights and 350 strike attempts by opponents (Defense refers to the percentage of opponents' attempts that do not land)

Wrestlers will have the advantage there, you don't get hit much when you're on top Phone Post

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
Ansari -

Rank Fighter Total
1 Pete Spratt 1.04
2 Phil Davis 1.08
3 Ivan Salaverry 1.15
4 Jon Madsen 1.18
5 Roan Carneiro 1.25
5 Renato Sobral 1.25
7 Chael Sonnen 1.26
8 Chad Mendes 1.27
8 Georges St-Pierre 1.27
10 Matt Lindland 1.31
10 Ricco Rodriguez 1.31
~ minimum 5 UFC fights.

Rank Fighter Total
1 Jon Madsen 81.4%
2 John Makdessi 76.2%
4 Phil Davis 74.2%
5 Ryan Bader 72.4%
6 Gray Maynard 71.9%
7 Frankie Edgar 71.6%
8 Max Holloway 71.3%
9 Rafael dos Anjos 70.7%
10 Michael Bisping 70.6%

Wrestlers will have the advantage there, you don't get hit much when you're on top Phone Post

In the first chart sure, not so much in the second since it factors in attempted strikes.

Interesting thread, will contribute later. Phone Post 3.0

Mark Coleman was hard to hit in his prime as was ricardo arona.........

Sick gifs UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA, couldnt see them at work.

@ Phone Post 3.0

CanadianGSPFan - 

For Lazer, blue help?

http://tkohub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/silva-griffin.gif Phone Post

A much better thread would be "do not fuckin put ANYONE in a conversation with AS ..... as far as being "The Toughest Guys to Hit"!

That's a joke!

"I have a standing challenge given to the forum to show a single GIF of him getting hit with a huge punch (no hand punches- the fighters weight must be behind the punch) in which the fighter delivering the punch did NOT have his hand fully extended when contact occured.

/thread"

Quinton Jackson has really good blocking skills. Somewhere there's a .gif of him blocking Wanderlei's hooks in PRIDE.

For a guy with zero mobility and a big melon, Tito was very hard to hit. He went (almost) three rounds with Liddell, thanks largely to his ability to protect his head.

Eddie Wineland has underrated head movement, although he's starting to get hit more as he faces high level competition.

This one went under the radar, but Chris Spang stood with combat Sambo world champion Adlan Amagov for three rounds and was hit with almost nothing. I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

Page, was not expecting that. LOL, see leave AS in a separate thread, this just silly! He's in a class by himself without exception (maybe one can talk about Ali outside MMA).

Wasa-B - Sick gifs UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA, couldnt see them at work.

Thanks man. Awesome thread and awesome discussion!!!

I think people have a warped sense of the hominick fight standing because rogan had a seizure when mark landed a few jabs in a row :-) it was a striking clinic against a very technically sound boxer. Wish I could have found more if the defensive gifs, but ZP stuff is mostly taken down on Google searches. Phone Post

B_Goetz - Quinton Jackson has really good blocking skills. Somewhere there's a .gif of him blocking Wanderlei's hooks in PRIDE.

For a guy with zero mobility and a big melon, Tito was very hard to hit. He went (almost) three rounds with Liddell, thanks largely to his ability to protect his head.

Eddie Wineland has underrated head movement, although he's starting to get hit more as he faces high level competition.

This one went under the radar, but Chris Spang stood with combat Sambo world champion Adlan Amagov for three rounds and was hit with almost nothing. I'm looking forward to seeing him again.

Eddie wineland is very technical and very good defensively on the feet. My friends who have the privelage of training with him cannot say enough about what a beast he is. Phone Post

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Wasa-B - Sick gifs UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA, couldnt see them at work.

Thanks man. Awesome thread and awesome discussion!!!

I think people have a warped sense of the hominick fight standing because rogan had a seizure when mark landed a few jabs in a row :-) it was a striking clinic against a very technically sound boxer. Wish I could have found more if the defensive gifs, but ZP stuff is mostly taken down on Google searches. Phone Post

ahhh, put up the gif's you're suppose to in this thread!

You can hit Roy Nelson, but it doesn't matter.